What do you think is the best career choice with my current situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galaxmart

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have just completed my bachelors degree and now trying to figure out what the next step is for me. I have always thought I would be applying to dental school but there have been some setbacks to this journey. I have a 2.6 science gpa and 3.1 overall gpa. I got an 18 on my DAT. This was already my second attempt as my first attempt, I got a 16 AA. I was told by a few dental schools that my stats are not competitive. I was told to enroll in a post-bacc or masters program and retake the DAT again. If I do this route, it still may not guarantee admission into dental school. I have then considered going to optometry school. Some optometry schools are willing to review my application with my current stats. Upon doing some research, it turns out that the salary is significantly lower in comparison to dentistry and it is the same amount of schooling. If I were to do an additional 4 years of schooling, I would like to have a salary of at least 130k. I have also tried looking for other careers outside of the healthcare field. I am the type of person that likes to learn new things and can myself doing anything as long as I have autonomy and can make good money. I have avoided looking at sales jobs since I prefer to have a set base salary. I don't want to take risks with a job that I may not any income with for a month or a job that I can get easily fired. The other careers that I have look at are IT and the mortgage field. It seems like these jobs don't have set salaries though. I need a job that is guaranteed to make at least a minimum of 90K. I would really appreciate your guys advice on what you think is the best move for someone in my position. Also, if anyone had any other types of career recommendations, I would really appreciate that. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I have just completed my bachelors degree and now trying to figure out what the next step is for me. I have always thought I would be applying to dental school but there have been some setbacks to this journey. I have a 2.6 science gpa and 3.1 overall gpa. I got an 18 on my DAT. This was already my second attempt as my first attempt, I got a 16 AA. I was told by a few dental schools that my stats are not competitive. I was told to enroll in a post-bacc or masters program and retake the DAT again. If I do this route, it still may not guarantee admission into dental school. I have then considered going to optometry school. Some optometry schools are willing to review my application with my current stats. Upon doing some research, it turns out that the salary is significantly lower in comparison to dentistry and it is the same amount of schooling. If I were to do an additional 4 years of schooling, I would like to have a salary of at least 130k. I have also tried looking for other careers outside of the healthcare field. I am the type of person that likes to learn new things and can myself doing anything as long as I have autonomy and can make good money. I have avoided looking at sales jobs since I prefer to have a set base salary. I don't want to take risks with a job that I may not any income with for a month or a job that I can get easily fired. The other careers that I have look at are IT and the mortgage field. It seems like these jobs don't have set salaries though. I need a job that is guaranteed to make at least a minimum of 90K. I would really appreciate your guys advice on what you think is the best move for someone in my position. Also, if anyone had any other types of career recommendations, I would really appreciate that. Thanks!
Optometry may not pay as much but I'm sure their schooling isn't nearly as expensive. If you think dentistry is really for you, then a masters would probably be best. I can't imagine any doctorate programs, optometry or dentistry, that would seriously consider you without a GPA of at least 3.0 since this is usually the cut off. Although, if money is you're biggest motivator perhaps you should just jump into construction as I've heard those jobs pay the big bucks without the grades, schooling and debt glooming over your head. I'm sure there's a lot to learn in that business. Just figure out what you enjoy and do what you need to in order to be successful. I've also heard that if you're smart and determined enough to get through medical/dental/other programs, you are more then capable of being successful in a different career. There are a lot easier ways to make money then through healthcare.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI, 90k starting salary is double the median household income in the US. Most folks fresh out of undergrad clear less than $44k.There aren’t many professions that have that high of a starting salary with above average job security. Figure out what interests you, then figure out how to be really good at it, and your salary will rise as your value increases.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

correct me if i am wrong, but it sounds to me that your absolute main motivating and reasoning for choosing a specific career is financial compensation? Have you tried considering what you like doing? Money is important, of course, but it is hard for me to imagine that money or the certain lifestyle is your only motivation. Plus, if you are driven and have a passion in a specific field, you are more likely to succeed.

Reactions: 6 users
You should do whatever career you think would make you happiest. If dentistry is truly your dream, then buckle down with the studying - enroll in a Master's program, spend several months studying for the DAT, and then apply again. I've seen people with lower stats than you do what I just mentioned and ended up getting in after improving their credentials. In the meantime, you could learn more skills in dentistry while getting paid by becoming a dental assistant.

Now, if you don't want to work hard like that, then I would argue dentistry isn't your dream and it shouldn't be pursued (in your situation). There are, of course, plenty of other jobs out there where money can be made. Even in healthcare, you could pursue pharmacy or become an RN or NP. Even becoming a PA is an option if you put in a little work to improve your GPA. If you find the right niche in optometry, then good money can be made there too.

You have to decide for yourself what career is best for you then pursue it. Ultimately, if you love what you are doing, then good money follows (for the most part). I would advise you not to pursue any career solely for the money, especially not healthcare fields, or you will likely be a very unhappy person. Before taking on any debt by rushing into a field, take the time to explore and discover what you love.

Reactions: 3 users
you're going to be waiting awhile trying to find a starting salary of 90k with a bachelors. best bet would be finance not healthcare.

making 130k out of college is a very small target to hit. You need to do more research but it seems dentistry is out of reach for now. You simply don't have the stats to make it into a school that you leave with 130k salary. You might see some with your stats that try and succeed but am pretty sure the percentage of success stories among those with low stats is extremely low. Optometry does seem like an excellent choice, it costs less than a third of what dental school costs, excellent salary, and you're your own boss. If an optometry school is willing to consider your application I think you should NOT let this opportunity slip.

Last edited:
Also consider that people with lower stats tend to be accepted by expensive dental schools. You may have well over $600,000 in student loans when you’re done. You good with that?

Big Hoss
I just don't know what is a better alternative with the situation I'm in. I have already taken the pre-reqs and I have a Biology degree.

correct me if i am wrong, but it sounds to me that your absolute main motivating and reasoning for choosing a specific career is financial compensation? Have you tried considering what you like doing? Money is important, of course, but it is hard for me to imagine that money or the certain lifestyle is your only motivation. Plus, if you are driven and have a passion in a specific field, you are more likely to succeed.
I have worked in the healthcare field since I was 18 and have taken all the pre-reqs. I am choosing a career that will allow me to help people, have financial freedom, be my own boss, and have a great work/life balance. That is why dentistry was a good fit for me. However, with my stats, I don't see it being a realistic option anymore and I am doubting myself. I don't know of any careers besides dentistry that will give me what I am looking for.

Optometry may not pay as much but I'm sure their schooling isn't nearly as expensive. If you think dentistry is really for you, then a masters would probably be best. I can't imagine any doctorate programs, optometry or dentistry, that would seriously consider you without a GPA of at least 3.0 since this is usually the cut off. Although, if money is you're biggest motivator perhaps you should just jump into construction as I've heard those jobs pay the big bucks without the grades, schooling and debt glooming over your head. I'm sure there's a lot to learn in that business. Just figure out what you enjoy and do what you need to in order to be successful. I've also heard that if you're smart and determined enough to get through medical/dental/other programs, you are more then capable of being successful in a different career. There are a lot easier ways to make money then through healthcare.
What other careers in healthcare make money close to dentistry?

I think your best shot at that decent salary is to go into sales of some sort or start a business. You would have a hard time getting into professional school. To spend money on a Masters degree that wouldn't guarantee your acceptance to professional school, and that would have no value in terms of an increased salary would not be wise. You could do medical device sales, pharmaceutical sales, etc. Or just start your own business and build your income that way.

Reactions: 1 users
No pain, no gain. If you want to do dentistry you have to follow the advice given to you. Do well in a masters, as close to 4.0 as possible, to demonstrate the fact that you can handle the science curriculum. And do an exhaustive study for the DAT. Literally 3-6 months of intense study every day until you’re confident you can score 21+ in all categories. Keep in mind, your third DAT attempt will be your last, given that I’ve never heard of a person gaining acceptance after 4 DAT attempts, so don’t take it lightly. Additionally, it sounds like you’re burned out. You might take a year just to work, volunteer, shadow, request/receive letters on interfolio to build up your resume for dental school apps and in the meantime do some soul searching about what you want to do for your career. Originally, I was not planning on doing dentistry but after a year of working in my degree, I found it unfulfilling and looked into a bunch of career paths before I landed on dentistry.

The only person preventing you from gaining admission to dental school is yourself. Don’t stand in your own way, if this is what you want.

Podiatry, Optometry, Chiropractic - all decent choices and less competitive than dental school. You will make a comfortable living and both provide you the opportunity to be your own boss.

I mean, you’ll be hard pressed to find a job making $90K out of undergrad with no real work experience and a biology degree. The only jobs I can think of out of undergrad that get you in that range are generally technical (IT, software development, engineering), Finance (not corporate but Investment Banking which is more competitive than dentistry), and then maybe sales or starting your own business.

It sounds like you want a “get rich quick” career and those generally don’t exist unless you’re super lucky or know people. You have to put in the time whether that’s through intense/highly competitive graduate education, working your way up a corporate ladder, starting your own business and growing it, etc.