Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

What do you think medical school admissions will be like in 30 years?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by fw5tape6kq, 01.12.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. fw5tape6kq

fw5tape6kq 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Rewind the clocks back 30 years ago, to 1984. Medical school admissions were, by and large, based upon an applicant's college GPA and MCAT score. Extracurriculars, shadowing, and volunteering were beneficial activities and experiences to have, but not as necessary as they are today. Legacy was more important than it is now, and diversity, less. The notion of doing research as an undergraduate was much more rare. Most pre--medical students were encouraged to major in the Formal Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Biochemistry, etc.

I know it's impossible to look into the future, but how do you think medical school admissions (and medical school in general) will change over the next 30 years? Will it become even MORE competitive to get in to, or will it eventually reach a tipping point where medical school ceases to become increasingly exclusive. Will medical school eventually become free? Will curricula become more problem and group based? Will the median age of the average medical student continue to rise?

Thoughts?

BlueLabel likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Boolean

Boolean

4. darkjedi

darkjedi how did this get here I am not good with computer 7+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    only nobel prize winners will be granted interviews, acceptances will be determined by thunder dome

Avicenna, Jkate44, nemo123 and 7 others like this.
  5. QuinnTheEskimo

QuinnTheEskimo

Pre-Medical
    I think more schools are going to move towards the MMI.

soseono25 and touchpause13 like this.
  6. darklabel

darklabel MS3 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Since they're changing the MCAT and it will likely change again in that time frame, then this conversation will be difficult as we won't know what the new 30+ is for the MCAT. I doubt GPA will go much higher than it does now seeing as it is around 3.6 so possibly 3.7 - 3.9?

Also, we won't know what the applicant pool will be like. Sadly, our generation had the most people born (echo boomers), most attend college every and we pretty much peaked out how many people will attend college at one time or another. I believe college enrollment is falling.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...57dca0-6282-11e3-91b3-f2bb96304e34_story.html

Also, it is known that as the economy recovers, people tend to shy away from medicine and its high personal demands for other jobs (though whether these entry level college jobs will pay enough and ever come back is up to debate).

So I think it will either be on par with today or slightly fall. Heck, we haven't even hit the peak number of applicants ever yet.

7. Life Sucks

Life Sucks STUDY HARD PANTZ ON... 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It might stay the way it is, or maybe even wind down. But I doubt it considering the aging population propaganda fiasco going throughout the sound waves. Who knows, maybe people will give up being a doctor when the industry changes. Nah.

8. IncognitoGuy

IncognitoGuy l'absurde 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
  9. touchpause13

touchpause13 nolite te bastardes carborundorum 2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I agree with the sentiment of more MMIs.

Also given the new MCAT I would say more pre meds are going to be encouraged to major in the humanities.
    It's kind of impossible to predict MCAT averages but I'd say ballpark, it will probably be equal to or less than what we have now. I don't expect GPA to really change, perhaps it will even go down.

10. pyrrion89

pyrrion89 UCSF '18 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The MMI of 2044:

wiloghby and Reckoner like this.
  11. Reckoner

Reckoner Lacks theology and geometry Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    So divergents go carib?

12. bambam92

bambam92 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    4.0 or auto reject..but rlly I am srs

13. Burla

Burla 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Research = mandatory

14. chillaxbro

chillaxbro 2+ Year Member

Pre-health Advisor
    No science majors allowed. Only Native Americans can apply.

15. KnuxNole

KnuxNole Sweets Addict 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Interviews to be done at home via holograms. Robot androids eligible for admissions(with special robot scholarships!)

JmsD likes this.

About the ads