General Admissions & OTCAS What do you think my chances are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgprospot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am applying for OT school later this year, and I am so anxious about the competition and possibility of not getting in. Here are my stats. Please let me know if you think I have a shot. Thanks!

Undergrad:

B.S. Chemistry from SUNY Stony Brook
GPA: 3.21
Extracurricular activities: undergraduate research assistant and volunteer EMT

Post-Graduation:

I have been working f/t as an executive assistant for just under four years. I shadowed in hand therapy for 20 hours. I am currently volunteering in pediatric SPD OT. I should have 60 hours by the end of the summer. I plan on doing 20+ more hours in geriatric or mental health OT. My pre-req gpa varies because pre-reqs vary by school, but it ranges between 3.60 and 3.66. I got an A in A&P.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I forgot to include which schools I am applying to. I am applying to SUNY Stony Brook, York College, and SUNY Downstate. I am married and have a 4 y/o so I have to stay in the LI area for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are a strong candidate. Number of hours are not as important and showing the school what you got out of them. Your exposure to different settings will help. Make sure to specify what you got out of each site and how it helps you to determine that OT is for you.

Oh wow! your stats are very similar to mine! I'm also a chemistry major! super hard major in college. let me know if you get in ! Good luck

Yes, the undergad years of a chem major are tough, even torturous at times! (You will see what I mean when you get to physical chemistry, if you have not already reached that point.) I am just so happy to have made it through! I hope OT schools consider each applicant's major when looking at GPA. I know there will be many applicants with higher GPAs. Good luck to you too!

Oh i'm sorry. I meant to say that I also graduated with B.S in Chem as well and currently trying to apply for OT. yeah omg.... P chem and quantum statistical mechanics series.. I dont even know how to describe it...those classes are unbelievably difficult. lab reports every week and they can go up to 50 pages long. Yeah my GPA ate it hard during that year. I believe during my graduation, there was only around 50 students graduating as Chem out of 3000 students. I hope you update us on your application kgprospot! i'm pretty sure you'll get in!

Chem major here too. I totally understand how all of you feel, especially concerning gpa. Hopefully we all get accepted to an OT program soon. Good luck everyone!:)

Chem major here too. I totally understand how all of you feel, especially concerning gpa. Hopefully we all get accepted to an OT program soon. Good luck everyone!:)

deejayy, if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I am really nervous that I won't look like a good applicant because my undergrad GPA is only 3.21.

I totally understand how you feel.
My undergrad GPA is around a 3.07
Pre-req GPA: 4.00
Around 240 hours of OT volunteer
I'll be sure to update you all with my admission status for OT schools. Good luck to us all!:)

Good luck to you all! If you guys want to exchange essays for review or share what schools you're applying to, private message me!