What do you think my chances are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfmontpoker

I hate chemistry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to this board. Finding it to be a pretty good source for information. Anyways, I have recently decided on trying to get into dental school. Ill be graduating next year with a B.A. in Biology and minors in chemistry and business administration. Overall GPA when i graduate should be around a 3.5 and my science GPA about a 3.0. I kinda missed up during my chemistries, 2 B's in chem1 and 2, C+'s in organic1 and 2 and a C in biochemistry :-(. Physics isnt required for my degree, so I am going to take it this summer hopefully and gonna try for my DAT in may. Will those C's hamper my chances? Any information is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

golfmontpoker said:
Hey everyone, new to this board. Finding it to be a pretty good source for information. Anyways, I have recently decided on trying to get into dental school. Ill be graduating next year with a B.A. in Biology and minors in chemistry and business administration. Overall GPA when i graduate should be around a 3.5 and my science GPA about a 3.0. I kinda missed up during my chemistries, 2 B's in chem1 and 2, C+'s in organic1 and 2 and a C in biochemistry :-(. Physics isnt required for my degree, so I am going to take it this summer hopefully and gonna try for my DAT in may. Will those C's hamper my chances? Any information is much appreciated!

Definitely get A's in both semesters of Physics. Showing a trend of doing poorly in one subject will get noticed, so be prepared to explain yourself. Maybe take some other higher level sciences to bring up the sci gpa, I like microbio, but that's just because I'm a nerd and it was my major. Good luck and welcome! Oh yeah, buy the book Organic Chemistry Edge before you take the DAT, it will help.

golfmontpoker said:

another whats my chances thread :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mind the "chances" threads...we all need a little justification from others now and then. Sure it is meaningless but it can make you feel a bit more optimistic sometimes.

You may have a problem with such a low sci gpa. I have a sci gpa of 2.8 and an overall gpa of 3.46 and I've only interviewed at two schools and I applied to 13 schools this year. You'll have to do well on your DATs(20+ across) to get accepted with a school of your choice. I'm not saying this to try to discourage you, but I thought I inform what has happened to me since we are in a similiar situation. If you have a lot of EC activities or several hrs of shadowing experience that will definitely be helpful as well. Good luck on your DATs and make sure to apply early as possible!!!. Just my 2 cents...

Thanx for advice. I still have 4 more biologies before i graduate, so i will definately try to make A's in all of them. Im planning on taking the DAT in june or may so i will start studying for that real soon. Is physics 1 and 2 required for most dental schools? I have read and talked to many people that alot of dental schools only require Physics 1. Can anyone ellaborate a little on this?

huskerslp said:
Another troll...

Another WVU student...coincidence? I think not...

As for your chances, I'm gonna go ahead and say 1:2.5 until you ace physics.

HermeytheElf said:
Another WVU student...coincidence? I think not...

As for your chances, I'm gonna go ahead and say 1:2.5 until you ace physics.

out of curiosity....did you think that Hermey would be a really unique handle here?

Lots of hermeys here.

Hermey the troll?

golfmontpoker said:

Well, one C isn't but three might raise an eyebrow. To make up for it you need to ace every other science course you take and ace the portion of the DAT that you got C's in, in your case, O-Chem.

You'll be fine.

Aslo, research which schools like GPA's and which ones like DAT. I know they all like both(...duh) but some really emphasize one over the other. I know UoP really likes the DAT and is quite forgiving of GPA. UCLA on the other hand really likes a good GPA.

Good luck

fightingspirit said:
i think you 're right....but as far as UCLA, i think it wants high GPAs+high DATs. look at the stats of SDNers getting into UCLA. their DATs are high up in the sky. what's all the fus about UCLA anyway?...just curious. i know it's good. but from SDN, you get the impression that it's not just good but it's supergood....do you know why?

UCLA has a number of well known faculty and its research programs are very well funded. On top of that, they just seem to have a reputation for graduating good clinicians, though the same could be said for many other dental schools. It's also quite a big cheaper than UOP and USC for California residents.

fightingspirit said:
you said "the same could be said about......"...exactly what i meant. in fact, most d-schools will have some well-known faculty. and hence the question about UCLA's stardom. i guess it all comes down to affordablity and research. the UC system is probably the best public education system in the country. especially UCLA, UCberk and UCSD. californians invest a lot in public education. i wish new york would do the same. alas, the fact that new york has too many non-white immigrants makes new yorkers less interested in putting money into SUNY. i dont know...maybe it's because california relies on th epublic system as it has few private schools per size of the state. new york and new england have a lot of great private schools, which is probably why university of massachusstes sucks....lol

by the way hermey, how do you know if a school has well-known faculty anyways?

sorry for steering the thread in a different direction......was just curious about the UC system

Talk to dentists who attend lots of CE or keep up with the literature. Well known faculty are the ones who have a good reputation on the lecture circuit or ones who publish lots of stuff in the journals. UF has quite a few big name professors as well...many of them are associated with the Pankey Institute.