Quantcast

What do you think my chances are?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nucleophile

MCAT Worrier
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
So I know there are dozens of other posts asking this same question, but I thought I'd ask it once again. :)

I'm a senior undergrad in Central Texas, 2.9 GPA (will be 3.1 by the middle of the summer), double majoring in Chemistry & Cell Biology, president of the ACS Student Affiliate chapter for 2 consecutive years (American Chemical Society), worked on chemical research for the past year and a half, and also work part time in the microbiology laboratory at the local hospital. Took the MCAT May 10th, hoping to get at least a 30, and am signed up to take it again in July if not.

Please let me know what you think my chances are and maybe what schools I would have a decent chance of getting into. I'd love to go back home to CA or maybe somewhere nearer than TX, but anything you guys think just let me know.

Thanks!!!!:D

SW

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd say you have little to no shot at an MD school. It's hard to evaluate your chances without an MCAT score. Good luck.

MilkmanAl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regardless of your MCAT score, you're going to get crapped on by MD schools. It really sucks that you're a CA resident, too. Aim for at least the mid 30's or you're not going to have much of a prayer unless you're a URM or disadvantaged. DO schools would be a good option if you pull out a good MCAT score.

baller2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is everyone doing? I hope everyone's application process is going well.

I was wondering my chances.
Major: Political Science.

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.78

MCAT: Verbal: 11
Physics: 11
Biology: 12

EC

1.) Worked for and raised money for my Congressman for 4 years.
2.) Did research for 3 years and have a chance to get published second name. The lab i work in gets published a lot.
3.) Volunteered in a hospital in India for 2 months, got to scrub in on surgeries, drill through patients foot, to help with orthopedic surgery, and help the doctor with surgeries by assisting holding the skin open.
4.) Volunteered in a competitive hospital program through my school.
5.) I have a history of epilsey also, which deterred my progress for some part of life due to the medications i took.
6.) I also work full-time in building and networking computers.

almo88

double frick
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is everyone doing? I hope everyone's application process is going well.

I was wondering my chances.
Major: Political Science.

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.78

MCAT: Verbal: 11
Physics: 11
Biology: 12

EC

1.) Worked for and raised money for my Congressman for 4 years.
2.) Did research for 3 years and have a chance to get published second name. The lab i work in gets published a lot.
3.) Volunteered in a hospital in India for 2 months, got to scrub in on surgeries, drill through patients foot, to help with orthopedic surgery, and help the doctor with surgeries by assisting holding the skin open.
4.) Volunteered in a competitive hospital program through my school.
5.) I have a history of epilsey also, which deterred my progress for some part of life due to the medications i took.
6.) I also work full-time in building and networking computers.

To get more responses, post your own thread. You're in like Flynn if you've shadowed a physician or two. Write a good Personal Statement and apply yesterday :p. Good luck!:luck: Also, make sure that you apply to a couple of "safety schools" too. Don't just apply to havard and yale. Apply to some state schools!