What do you think my chances are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocofudges

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am probably the billionth person to ask this same question, but I am sort of at a lost to where I stand compared to other applicants, partly since most of my friends are not applying to medical school and I have no idea whether or not my credentials are enough or not...

So that is my basic question. Where do I stand?

I am 16 years old in my junior year of college at Rutgers University in New Brunswick and I am in the honors program I'm finishing in three years instead of four since I came in with 37 AP credits :love: . Major: Middle Eastern Studies. Minor: Biology

I have some concerns over my grades for the second semester of my first year though :(. I did OK in Orgo the first semester (B+), but I flopped in Orgo second semester and got a C :( :( :(. It also sort of negatively impacted my other grades. That was my lowest semester, but every other one so far is above a 3.8 gpa wise...

Semester 1:
General Physics 1: A
Organic Chemistry 1: B+
Modern Middle East: A
Public Health and Social Justice: A

Semester 2:
General Physics 2: B+
Organic Chemistry 2: C
Islamic Law and Jurisprudence: B+
Arab-Israeli Conflict: A
Intro to Middle East: A
General Physics Lab: A

Semester 3:
General Microbiology: A
Physics Lab 2: A
Islam: A
Elementary Arabic 1: A
Honors Colloqium: P (I know this does not count in the gpa)

Semester 4 (taking right now)
Genetics: A
Elementary Arabic 2: A
Hnrs Molecular View of Human Anatomy: A
Iranian Cinema: A
Hnrs Physiological Adaptation of the Heart: A
Honors Colloquium: P

Expected GPA by the end of this semester: 3.85
Expected Science GPA by the end of this semester: 3.57

What worries me is my science GPA and how I screwed up orgo, a required premed class, and also did lower in physics (there are no words to describe my hate for magnetic flux hahaha)

I have done I think 70-80 hours of volunteer service at Robert Wood Johnson Hamilton, work as a Spanish translator in a doctor's office, volunteer as a secretary at a clinic, and also volunteered at an orphanage for a month in Syria (my nationality!! :D). Also, I will be shadowing a cardiologist soon, but I don't know for how long.

I have not done any research, don't really do any activities on campus since I commute and I can't drive a car since I'm not old enough, and I have no leadership roles. I am taking the MCAT May 20, and, before reviewing the orgo, chemistry, and physics, I took a real practice test and got an 11 in the Bio, a 10 on the Physical, and 10 on the Verbal, but I don't think these are really accurate since I only reviewed bio and my scores may be this way just due to luck.

Basically, I have the following questions. Obviously, you guys cannot give me a definitive answer, but just guesses and your opinions are welcome :D I just want to see how I stand and whether or not, in the little time I have left, there is anything I should try to tweak.

1. How do you think my sad second semester will appear compared to my other three semesters where I did much much better?

2. What MCAT score should I aim for with my credentials to compensate for any weaknesses in my application?

3. Do you think my age will be a big issue in applications since I will be graduating the university at 17 and entering Medical school, since my birthday is in the summer, at 18? Most people won't even guess I am 16 until I tell them; sometimes even then they don't believe me!

4. Since I have no leadership roles or research activities, and since my hospital volunteering was a little limited since I am still a minor (for example, I could not go to the ER), is there anything you think I should do to compensate it?

5. How long should I shadow the doctor?

6. What rank of schools do you think I should aim for? I just want to get into one in the US. honestly, I am not very picky lolz.

In case you guys are interested, my dream is to work as an obstetrician/gynecologist in the Middle East, mainly Syria, Palestine, and other areas of the Levant. I heard of Syrian doctor who worked normally for half of the weak and then in poor areas for free the other half, and I really want to work on this idea. I actually have a crazy dream of building a sort of recluse, a sanctuary, in impoverished areas next to a medical clinic I hope to found as a sort of area people can socialize and talk to each other in and escape hardships of everyday life. I know my dreams are perhaps a little to big, but this way, I always have a motivation to work harder and reach further!!!

Thanks a lot for your input, especially if you bear with my exceedingly long post.

I am a US citizen. I just want to go work in Syria.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am 16 years old in my junior year of college at Rutgers University...
Wow, that's very impressive. I'm not sure if this will be an advantage or disadvantage for medical school admissions (though I tend to suspect the latter).

1. How do you think my sad second semester will appear compared to my other three semesters where I did much much better?
An isolated poor performance in one class will not put you at a significant disadvantage. Anyway, your current GPA is in the competitive range, despite orgo.

2. What MCAT score should I aim for with my credentials to compensate for any weaknesses in my application?
This chart approximates one's chances of being accepted to at least one MD school during a given application cycle (keeping in mind that the average applicant applies to ~14 schools): https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

3. Do you think my age will be a big issue in applications since I will be graduating the university at 17 and entering Medical school, since my birthday is in the summer, at 18?
Unfortunately, yes. Aside from the fact that being so young has put you at a disadvantage as far as ability to participate in long-lasting extra-curricular activities, there is always the stigma of immaturity attached to younger applicants. You might still have some success despite your age, but do not be discouraged if that's one of the reasons for a less-than-ideal application cycle.

4. Since I have no leadership roles or research activities, and since my hospital volunteering was a little limited since I am still a minor (for example, I could not go to the ER), is there anything you think I should do to compensate it?
I suggest waiting a year before applying to work on your ECs. Maybe volunteer in an Americorp or Teach-For-America position for a year, or look for a research assistantship at a nearby university or NIH.

5. How long should I shadow the doctor?
The average applicant lists ~50 hours of shadowing amongst 2-3 specialties (at least one of which being a family doc).

6. What rank of schools do you think I should aim for? I just want to get into one in the US.
I'm not sure on this one. Aside from the fact that you do not yet have an MCAT score to work with, you are not a US citizen, and you are certainly one of the more unique applicants (due to your age)... I suppose my inclination would be to simply apply broadly and see what happens.

I am a US citizen. I just want to go work abroad.