Quantcast

What do you think my chances are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hugsnki33e3

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm at U.Pittsburgh
cGPA 3.38
sGPA 3.295
MCAT 31
Research, yes for 1.5 yrs now
pending publications: 3rd author in a review paper, 2nd author in a peer review (however, both are still in preparation and arent published yet)
volunteer, yes currently in hospital and in an aquarium
Shadowing, just shadowed my 2nd doctor, working on getting 7 more docs in before I apply
I have 1 more semester left to increase my GPA so prospective cGPA and sGPA are 3.4 and 3.3 respectively.
upwards trend: I had at least 1 C up until my junior yr when I started getting only As and Bs.
3 Leadership positions all in the same club (I've risen since my freshman yr), I TAed for a class and currently tutor kids
Background: URM

What do you guys think? How do I fare at upper mid and low tier schools? (if low tier schools even exist?)

Thank you.

Reaction score
I'm at U.Pittsburgh
cGPA 3.38
sGPA 3.295
MCAT 31
pending publications: 3rd author in a review paper, 2nd author in a peer review (however, both are still in preparation and arent published yet)
Shadowing, just shadowed my 2nd doctor, working on getting 7 more docs in before I apply
I have 1 more semester left to increase my GPA so prospective cGPA and sGPA are 3.4 and 3.3 respectively.
upwards trend: I had at least 1 C up until my junior yr when I started getting only As and Bs.
3 Leadership positions all in the same club (I've risen since my freshman yr), I TAed for a class and currently tutor kids

What do you guys think? How do I fare at upper mid and low tier schools? (if low tier schools even exist?)

Thank you.
Past under-represented minorities applying with a 3.4/31 had a 78% chance of success at MD institutions. We'll assume balanced subscores, good LORs, no legal issues/IAs, continued upward grade trend, appropriate school list, and good interview skills. Though you don't include a lot of time frames, your ECs look to be developing nicely.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine at any low-mid tier MD school, and any DO school. Examples of low -tiers include Rosy Franklin and NYMC. They do indeed exist.

Don't forget your state school(s), depending upon where you live.

I'm at U.Pittsburgh
cGPA 3.38
sGPA 3.295
MCAT 31

Thank you.

cheechootrain

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback guys!

Anyone else have other opinions?

You'll be fine. Just make sure you choose enough and the right schools. Do your research and know the statistics of each school you are applying to to make sure it is the right fit with your stats.

DoctorLacrosse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a conclusive list of low tier schools out there anywhere? Find one, and apply DO as we'll, and you'll be ok. Good luck!

Flash7

Let The 4.0 Race Begin...
Reaction score
You'll be fine. Pick a large range of schools and improve your ECs a little more. Nice research.