Quantcast

What Do You Think of Barry Podiatry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kt82904

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I got a 2.6 GPA and 24 MCAT score. Interviewed with Barry's and received an acceptance letter 1 week later. To be honest, I think my stats are quite low and their "fast response" kinda concerns me. Could anyone tell me insights of this program? Thanks.

Kamran654

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
KT,

well... that doesn't actually mean anything just because of a fast response... when did you exactly get accepted? and regarding your 24 MCAT score that is decent score so perhaps you had other qualifications...

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kamran654 said:
KT,

well... that doesn't actually mean anything just because of a fast response... when did you exactly get accepted? and regarding your 24 MCAT score that is decent score so perhaps you had other qualifications...

No offense to the pod field because I got upmost respect to all healthcare fields, but to be blunt (and know flamming) just facts, it's extremely easy to get into Pod School. I remember when I was applying to Med school and had my first crappy MCAT at 25, I was getting all these letters from Pod Schools to Recruit me, when I never even showed interest or applied to a Pod School in my life. Seems like they need students more than students go into the field. For I never got a Dental offer or a DO offer just by taking the MCAT and not showing interest in their field. It how it goes, i guess its there way of marketing the field and i guess in some matter the way I preceived it as, hey if you cant get into med school with those scores, we will take u. No offense again to the pod industry, its just my personal experience. Alot of my other friends that took the MCAT got alot of unwanted Pod School Brochures, etc... So dont think because you got in with your stats the school is shady, its just supply and demand. I wish med schools were so efficient and wanting.

Kamran654

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IF YOU ARE AN MD TO BE, THEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING READING PODIATRY STUFF... OBVIOUSLY EVERYONE ONE HAS AN SLIGHT INTEREST IN PODIATRY EVEN YOU MY FRIEND.. if you didn't you wouldn't be here... its either the interest in the field or in the money....

thanks for dropping in...

Podman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD2b20004 said:
No offense to the pod field because I got upmost respect to all healthcare fields, but to be blunt (and know flamming) just facts, it's extremely easy to get into Pod School. I remember when I was applying to Med school and had my first crappy MCAT at 25, I was getting all these letters from Pod Schools to Recruit me, when I never even showed interest or applied to a Pod School in my life. Seems like they need students more than students go into the field. For I never got a Dental offer or a DO offer just by taking the MCAT and not showing interest in their field. It how it goes, i guess its there way of marketing the field and i guess in some matter the way I preceived it as, hey if you cant get into med school with those scores, we will take u. No offense again to the pod industry, its just my personal experience. Alot of my other friends that took the MCAT got alot of unwanted Pod School Brochures, etc... So dont think because you got in with your stats the school is shady, its just supply and demand. I wish med schools were so efficient and wanting.

its no secret that pod school admissions are generally alot easier and very laxed in comparison to the other healthcare fields. However, don't let this mislead you to think that it is easy to graduate because our curriculum and standard of training is quite rigorous. The admissions committees across the 8 schools are inconsistent - some maintain very good standards while others will let you win by mere applying with mediocre minimum requirements. The schools that accept alot of "mediocre" students end up filling more than 100 seats and about 25 of those students end up dropping after the first year because simply they are unqualified to be in our profession and sadly they end up wasting $25,000 of tuition - meanwhile those schools benefit by making more $ ofcourse. This is a sad reality of quite a few schools as they are private money-driven institutions. However, on a brighter scale, DPM graduates are generally qualified, competent, and ethical members of the healthcare community who undergo 4 years of a very challenging curriculum and have to pass professional board examinations and complete 2-3 years of residency. You can refer to the first topic in this forum pertaining to the qualifications of the podiatric physician - so I can definately assure you that strong standards are maintained.

Dr. Foot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
IF YOU ARE AN MD TO BE, THEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING READING PODIATRY STUFF... That was really funny Kamran654 - I guess MD2b trying to stay busy...I guess I am not in the mood of writing a defensive comment - MD2b is not worth it anyway. oh what u mean by podiatry industry - are we manufactoring something lol

Quick Advice for kt82904: One thing about podiatry: not many people knows about it but in general the admission to podiatry is really easy but to graduate is tuff unless you put the time and the effort "same exact thing goes for Ross Univeristy and Saint George medical schools in the carribian".

I know a friend of mine who got an interview at a dental school in the last week of Nov. and got his acceptance letter the first week of Dec. - is that mean that dental schools needs students more than students go into the field comm'on.

Good luck with Barry's program.

doclm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD2b20004 said:

Hey MDB2004,

It's 2006 and will B 2007 in 5 months from now. What exactly is your plans for the future? Why are you trolling the Pod forums?

Are you interested in becoming a DPM, so you are getting some feedback from fine respectable people in the Pod field?

Just Curious.....

Cheetos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
kt82904 said:
I got a 2.6 GPA and 24 MCAT score. Interviewed with Barry's and received an acceptance letter 1 week later. To be honest, I think my stats are quite low and their "fast response" kinda concerns me. Could anyone tell me insights of this program? Thanks.

Congrats on getting in! However, no offense to you KT but your stats are really low, which to the average SDN'er, reflects poor studying habits. I don't know what your situation is so I may be wrong. I know Pod school is easier to get into than most of the other professional schools but this doesn't mean that the whole cirriculum will be any easier. If you want to succeed and pass, you will have to change your studying habits and work your arse off.

However with the maturity and professional environment that comes with grad school, I know that it'll come to you naturally. Did you get into anywhere else? Goodluck with Barry!

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
kt82904 said:

Yes, your GPA is low, since 2005 matriculants averaged a 3.2, but your MCAT is a good bit higher than 2005 matriculants (21.2). That usually will make a difference.

Barry is unique in that it is the only podiatry school to be physically located on the same campus as a full PhD granting university. They have every program imaginable there, some ranked very highly. For instance, Barry's Scool of Business was ranked by SSRN as the 47th (out of 352) in the nation and 61st (out of 800) in the world. You have the option to attain a DPM/MBA degree in only four years if you wish (most places take an extra year). After class, you can walk to the baseball field to watch college baseball, or swim in the pool, or play intramural sports, or go to a music recital or play right on campus. You can't do that anywhere else.

In addition, there is some good research going on. The professor of radiology is doing a study on DVT diagnostic imaging and treatment right now. DVT often leads to pulmonary embolism, which kills 200,000 people a year in the US. Remember that in Florida the scope of practice includes bones to the knee and soft tissue all the way to the hip, so there is a lot of things you can do. The dean is the founder of the American Academy of Wound Management. They sponsor the International Israeli Fellowship Exchange Program. Look up the Yucatan Crippled Children's Project; they've help thousands of kids in Mexico, as well as Haiti and Jamaica, with surgery. The faculty have lectured all over the world and international lecturers frequent Barry as well.

Yes, some of the current facilities are old, but when the new School of Graduate Medical Sciences building is finished, I'll bet that it will rival anyone's facilities. Plus, there is plenty to do in Miami and the area is incredibly diverse. OK, it's a little too hot sometimes, but doesn't an hour or two studying on the beach in February sound kind of appealing too?

The bottom line, though, is that you can get a good education wherever you go, as long as you are willing to put forth the effort. Not every school will be a match for your needs, however. What do you want in your school?

medschool22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
why does everyone take shots at MDs/DOs? You're in Podiatry, that's great. But you don't have to knock someone making a true statement. He didn't knock Pod at all. He merely stated a fact that he received brochures and it felt like a recruitment.

This reminds me of when I did my psyc degree. Every teacher I had bitched about doctors and medical schools...

It'd be different if he came in and slammed Pod, but instead you guys slammed him.

Plus, it's not like this forum is locked (like Anesthesia), anyone can read and post as they please.

:love:

capo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medschool, most people are defensive here because the bulk of anti-pods threads are people that come here -- solely to troll for arguments. Sorry to say that because of these few "bad apples" the whole bunch of other people that want to post serious info, get caught up in the defensive arsenal that most pods students react with. It's the cost of doing business in this forum and unfortunately, it's the tone that was set due to these people attacking pods for so long.

W

whiskers

Cheetos said:
Congrats on getting in! However, no offense to you KT but your stats are really low, which to the average SDN'er, reflects poor studying habits. I don't know what your situation is so I may be wrong. I know Pod school is easier to get into than most of the other professional schools but this doesn't mean that the whole cirriculum will be any easier. If you want to succeed and pass, you will have to change your studying habits and work your arse off.

However with the maturity and professional environment that comes with grad school, I know that it'll come to you naturally. Did you get into anywhere else? Goodluck with Barry!

"What Do You Think of Barry Podiatry School?"
I don't think about it at all, but...

I agree with dr. cheetos foot.
You'd better figure out how to work your rear off before class starts, because no one but you will pay all those loans back.... And pay them back you will, even if you don't graduate. OUch.

Don't be fooled by the admission standards and their courtship process, they will kick you out for academic reasons and leave you utterly homeless if you can't hang academically.... It's pretty common to NOT see students semester after semester.

Bye! Bye!