Dec 22, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys!

We all know that we're approaching that time of year where students want to meet each other before the first day of classes, but that its also a very unconventional year despite most states reopening. In my class facebook group there seems to be tremendous support for having a pub crawl or something along those lines.

I'm not one to tell people how to live their lives in America, but does anyone else think activities like a pub crawl may be a bit short sighted in light of the pandemic? Or am I overreacting?

Aug 9, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I say go. These are relationships that you’ll have the rest of your life. My best friends from med school are the people I met at an informal meet and greet. Obviously take precautions and if you’re living with your grandparents or elderly parents maybe reconsider, but you need the relationships you forge first year. Not just as friends, but as people you can lean on throughout the constant grind of med school

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: bdjay
Aug 21, 2019
Status
Medical Student
If the area your med school is in has reopened, go and be smart about social distancing, masks and hand washing.

I‘ve never once caught any illness from a classmate, despite having attended college, grad school and med school for the last 7 straight years with zero social distancing guidelines or mask regulations in place.

About the Ads

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
On the contrary, I say if something can be done virtual (e.g. FaceTime, Zoom, phone call), do it virtually.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Administrator
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Maybe you can organize something outside instead of going to several crowded bars if more students appear to be worried about the idea. I think it would be good to try and meet students but it also really depends where you are in the country in terms of the risk.

Oct 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys!

We all know that we're approaching that time of year where students want to meet each other before the first day of classes, but that its also a very unconventional year despite most states reopening. In my class facebook group there seems to be tremendous support for having a pub crawl or something along those lines.

I'm not one to tell people how to live their lives in America, but does anyone else think activities like a pub crawl may be a bit short sighted in light of the pandemic? Or am I overreacting?
You are over-reacting

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Seems shortsighted to me. You're likely not the only one who thinks so. The people who organize such things tend to be the most vocal in the class, and it'll be the same 10-20 people doing those activities the whole 4 years. Do what you feel comfortable doing. I wouldn't try to dictate what others do, but don't feel pressured or like you have to go to every social activity you can. Pick the ones you want and you'll meet people and build friendships just fine.

About the Ads