Quantcast

What do you think of my grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

semaj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I posted this earlier somewhere else, but thought I might get more input here.

I am considering a career change. I am currently a 42y/o CRNA. My question is how will my grades hold up in the application process?

Assume for a moment that all other aspects of the process are acceptable, MCAT, volunteerism, etc.

BSN, Northwesern State University 2.9 gpa, with 3.8 gpa accumulated over last 45 hours including Ochem and Physics.

Masters in Health Sciences ( anesthesia) Texas Wesleyan University 3.9 gpa.

I have told this is unacceptable and I accept that I must improve to be seriously considered, but what would be the bare minimum UG GPA necessary to proceed?

Once I determine the number of 'A' hours I need to aquire the minimum GPA, what classes should I take to accomplish this, considering I have already met the minimum requirements for premed, i.e., OChem, Physics?

What about MD vs. DOM vs. offshore? Will my undergrad GPA preclude admission to any of these options or just mainstream MD programs?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

fizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering that you're a non-traditional who has been out of school for almost 20 years (assuming you graduated in your early 20's), even though your undergraduate grades were low, I'd think that adcoms would be significantly more interested in what you've been doing since then. Twenty years is a lot of time to have done many interesting non-academic activities, so use that to your advantage.

Reaction score
How long ago did you get your BSN?
Was the 45 hours of 3.8 GPA during those years, or more recently?
When did you complete the masters with the 3.9 GPA?

If the BSN was 20 years ago, and you have 45 hours of recent post-bac 3.8 GPA, considering your age, some med schools might be willing to consider you based on your most recent grades (those that consider the "whole application", not just the stats).

Are you willing to go to any state to attend med school, or are you looking to stay in-state or close by?

Have you considered calling your preferred local school, asking for a phone consultation with a dean of admissions, and discussing what it would take to get in? I'm thinking that if you approach the right school, you might be able to save yourself a lot of GPA resuscitation. This might be true for some DO schools as well.

Last edited:

shiftingmirage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hate to be the one giving the bad news, but at 42, I doubt you will be very successful at getting an acceptance to any medical program. Definately look around but I think (assuming you find any) only a small number of people in you age group have been admitted to medical programs in the past.

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only a small number of older applicants are accepted, becasue only a small number apply. Medical schools don't discriminate on the basis of age. My class has a 42 year old student and several 30-somethings.