What do you think of my school list...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wends

Tigress in Training
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, here is my school list. my stats are 3.72/36, and i'm from canada, with no coursework in the US. if you have any tips or comments, good or bad, they are welcome.

Albert Einstein
Case Western
Columbia - yeah right but im trying anyway
Jefferson
Mount Sinai
Washinton University - same as columbia
U Penn
Northwestern - please please take me for the love of god
USC - Keck
Ohio State
MCW
U Chicago Pritzker
Emory

Anything else I should add?? I want to be in an urban setting, no more small towns for me! Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

columbus, cleveland, and wherever MCW is...small towns.

btw, if youre a canadian citizen, your chances are slim here in the US of A, regardless of your stats (which are decent). i'd add mcgill, etc

IcedCube said:
btw, if youre a canadian citizen, your chances are slim here in the US of A, regardless of your stats (which are decent). i'd add mcgill, etc

I'm not so sure about that...

According to the AAMC, about 22.6% of all foreign applicants got accepted to US allopathic medical schools in 2001.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/archive/famg102001ka.htm

The odds are against you but I don't think it is impossible. To be honest, I think you need to apply to more schools to improve your chances of getting in. Target schools that have accepted a relatively high proportion of international students historically.

Members don't see this ad :)
On second thought, I just noticed that you haven't done any coursework in the US. It might be a good idea to do a master's degree or something before applying to a US medical school. It is tough enough as it is for an international student to get accepted to a US medical school...

MCW likes canadians, at least that's what I remember from my interview like 3 years ago. I would recommend applying to schools that need cash (state schools that recently started taking non-state people) So I would add OHSU and University of Miami.

IcedCube said:
columbus, cleveland, and wherever MCW is...small towns.

Columbus and Cleveland both have 1.5 million people
MCW is in Milwaukee, which has a population of 1.6 million (2000 census).

Not exactly backwoods, just because we're in the Midwest.

Does Rosalinf Franklin Medical School (formerly known as Finch)accepts foreign students as well?

Xandie said:
Columbus and Cleveland both have 1.5 million people
MCW is in Milwaukee, which has a population of 1.6 million (2000 census).

Not exactly backwoods, just because we're in the Midwest.

thanks for the help guys

OHSU doesnt take internationals, i emailed them already. I'll check on Miami.
I wouldnt mind Milwauke, as long as the pop is 1 mill +!

Jalby said:
MCW likes canadians, at least that's what I remember from my interview like 3 years ago. I would recommend applying to schools that need cash (state schools that recently started taking non-state people) So I would add OHSU and University of Miami.

I thought U of Miami wants Florida residents (90%)

wends said:
... here is my school list ... i'm from canada ... Anything else I should add??

U. of Toronto, McGill, Dalhousie, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Memorial, BC.

To the OP, is there a reason you are not applying to McGill and U of Toronto?

oh, thats just my US list, i am applying to numerous canadian schools

What about GWU in DC? That is a great school and DC is awesome!! Just a thought :)