What do you think of NYCOM? - I interview on 12/17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roger2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't had much time to research NYCOM's
program (up to my ears in tests and finals around the corner). Have heard they have one of the STRONGEST and LARGEST clinical education programs in the northeast with many strong hospital affiliations in the New York/NJ area. Also read, 100% of graduates are accepted into p/g internship or residency programs of which 70% are osteopathic internships (64% are NYCOM college coordinated programs), and 30% allopathic residencies. These are strong stats for the NY/NJ area which is where I hail from! I've also heard the class is large (which is a plus to my way of thinking)and there are problems with crowding for the first two years, although the campus and facilites are supposed to be beautiful and modern. Is this so? Interviewfeedback offers a divergent impressive of the school from "the student body and faculty are wonderful and happy to "the student body and faculty are competitive and stressed to the max". You get the idea! If anyone could comment on the campus, facilities, students, faculty and program I would appreciate any feedback. NYCOM had been high on my list, but after several other interviews, I had pretty much given up on hearing from them. I am fortunate in having a seat for next year at a place I really feel good about, but I think because NYCOM is so close to home and has such a STRONG rep in the metropolitan northeast, I should give them a good look. At least it won't be something I'll wonder about later. Also if you'd like to comment on your interview experience (attitude of interview panel, questions asked, length of interview, and of course the infamous LI Expressway traffic) and the essay you are required to write on that day, (how long do they want it to be - handwritten?) that would be great. Do they let you know their decision fairly quickly? Hey, I thought I was finished with this! Thanks for your responses.

------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 12-07-1999).]

Members don't see this ad.

Hi roger,

I interviewed at NYCOM a few weeks ago (still haven't heard from them). Overall, I was moderately impressed. It's true they have great affiliations, great facilities and a huge class. I know someone who went there, got a great residency and still raves about NYCOM. The overcrowding should be much less of a problem now that they've built the new NYCOM III building. I also liked the combined degree options they offer.

Now, on the other hand, I wouldn't say the whole place is beautiful unless you're into orange wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling carpeting and MIRRORS (they're really into them). Also, a lot of us interviewing that day were not happy with our interviewer. You only get one and it can feel a little unfair. I didn't get to see many of the students, but the ones I saw seemed happy. Our tour guide, while excellent, told us he had to go through a pretty rigorous process to be a tour guide, which I kind of saw as a red flag (what are they hiding???).

In short, I say go check it out. It's definitely a worthwhile place (although not perfect, but who is). For more info, you should contact Tim of NYC (turtleboard). He has a cousin that goes there and he knows a lot more about the place than I do. Good luck!

Hi RDO,
thanks for your reply. (I seem to be following in your tracks on the interview trail!) What about that essay? How long and is it based on why osteopathy and why NYCOM? Did you have to write it by hand? You mentioned one interviewer per person. I think that has the potential of being very stressful. What was the tenor of the interview ,any tough questions or prepare for the usual? And I thought this was behind me!! - but it's a school which seems to offer so many opportunities in the Northeast, don't you think? Good luck to you.

------------------

rog

Members don't see this ad :)
HI roger,

For your sake I hope you're not following in my interview trail. I just had an awful interview on Monday that is still ruining my day (it wasn't at NYCOM--email me if you want details).

Anyway, the essay is no big deal. You have only a few lines to write it on (by hand) and It's basically Why NYCOM if I recall correctly. My interview was pretty bad. I was a little stressed as soon as I got the vibe that all attempts to make this man smile are futile. It was a good bonding topic among us candidates though. Fortunately, the interview was over very quickly (15-20 minutes). Also, all questions were very straightforward--no surprises except What would you do to increase the public's familiarity with osteo med? Easy question, just never had it before.

And, yes, I agree that NYCOM has a lot to offer including a strong, rigorous program. Good Luck!

Wow RDO,

Im sorry you had a bad interview experience there!!! My interviewer today was GREAT!!! I was so afraid but I went in there and he did a great job of making me feel less nervous and helped me to start blabbing on and on like I normally do
smile.gif

I was very impressed with the school.. its ofcourse my number one choice with its affiliations and dedication to underserved areas (they focus on this aspect in their teaching)

The only thing that REALLY freaked me out was the whole "and this will be the room where you do OMM, which the women wear bikini's and the men where shorts" I think the rest of the women and I were like WHOA... BIKINIS??? But other than that Im glad I had a good day..

I hope things work out for you and good luck to everyone interviewing there.. you will love the new biulding and how comfortable they make you feel during your time there
smile.gif

A question for Roger -- What makes a large class size a plus for you? I'm always interested in smaller ones. Thanks

I just received a letter saying I had an interview at NYCOM when all I was expecting was a secondary. It has only been about 2 weeks since my AACOMAS app went out to the schools so I was pretty suprised. Anyway, from what I understand the secondary gets completed at the intervew. What's up with this? Do they want a handwriting sample or do they just not want to give you a lot of time to research the question?

JB, for what date did you schedule your interview? P.S. You're not familiar enough with NYCOM to know that you had to complete the secondary application on the interview day?

Susan,
in response to your question -a larger class may offer more diversity in terms of the background, experiences and attitudes of the student body and faculty. A benefit of joining a larger class, is the opportunity to enhance the scope and vibrancy of one's medical education. I hope the four years of medical school will not be ALL biology. A larger class has the potential of offering a cultural and societal element to that experience which I believe is extremely valuable. Of course, there is a downside to the realities of studying and functioning within a very large group and the possibility of a more impersonal faculty/student relationship etc. Ultimately, it is a personal choice and one which will only be right for the person coming to that decision. Just my opinion! Good luck to you.

------------------

rog

Thanks rog.
Another plus about NYCOM is that if you are interested in the OMM side of the study there are some good opportunities for you in the program.

I'm happy to say that I just got my interview invitation there.
Susan

I interviewed on the day that NYCOM III opened. It is a beautiful campus, and the building is fantastic and state-of-the-art.

I was a little concerned about the cost of living there. They informed us that it is on the "Gold Coast" of Long Island, so none of us would be able to afford to live within 20 miles of the campus. This means you will need a car (and insurance will be very expensive). The LIRR is not a realistic option for commuting because the first train doesn't arrive in the morning until 8:50am, and you have to take a cab from the station ($8). Make sure you are ready for Long Island before you choose this school.

I am usually good about doing my homework, but I really dropped the ball on this one. I wasn't ready for Long Island.

P.S. Check interviewfeedback.com for my review.

Good Luck Friday, Rog. I'd love to know your inpressions/any interesting facts gathered.
If you'd like to e-mail them to me I'm at [email protected]

SUSAN BE FOREWARNED!!! The women have to wear BIKINI'S in OMM class!!! (just a bit of information I think ALL the women interviewing that day would have liked to have known)
wink.gif

Thanks for the info Poet. Just as long as we don't have to wear them when we tour the class on interview day I'll be ok. Do the men wear bikini bottoms? Fair is Fair.

no such luck Susan!!! They OFCOURSE get to wear shorts grrrr
wink.gif
Have fun and congratulations!! Im sure your going to LOVE it!

Roger,

I don't know much about NYCOM (still waiting for an interview), but just want to wish you the best of luck today
smile.gif

roger,

how did your interview go at NYCOM? what did you think? if you have any advice or comments please pass them along, i have an interview there in less than a month.

thanks.