What do you think of paycut during COVID pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUCPM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been transitioned to production yet, so still remaining on salary guarantee. We are being asked to take voluntary paycut for the next 3 months. I'm grateful I still have a job and I get that we are seeing less patients during this time but I'm still on salary gurantee and I'm not sure how to handle this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been transitioned to production yet, so still remaining on salary guarantee. We are being asked to take voluntary paycut for the next 3 months. I'm grateful I still have a job and I get that we are seeing less patients during this time but I'm still on salary gurantee and I'm not sure how to handle this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Is this a deferred salary thing (they will pay you what you're not getting for the next three months when things normalize), or is this pay cut money you will never see?

Apparently paycut money I will never see. But this is hospital-wide paycut including CEO, admins, other ancillary staffs, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently paycut money I will never see. But this is hospital-wide paycut including CEO, admins, other ancillary staffs, etc.

That’s not what a salary guarantee is.

Reactions: 1 users

So here's where it gets tricky. Legally speaking, you absolutely do not have to accept a pay cut. But if you take the hard stance you run the risk of either not having your contract renewed when it comes up or the hospital using their no cause termination clause.

Assuming you like the job and don't want to burn any bridges, I would suggest countering with accepting the pay cut for now but with a guarantee that the difference will be repaid to you within some specified time frame - say year end.

That's what our hospital is doing with us.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm not really sure what else you can do other than go along with it assuming you want to keep your job.
My healthcare organization laid off doctors. They laid off other medical staff as well.
I know other doctors across the country laid off.
I know people say that doctor's never fight for themselves and/or make financial mistakes, but in the midst of a pandemic where there is little revenue coming in I'm not sure we have great options, especially when other staff are seeing similar layoffs/cuts.
It wouldn't hurt to ask for them to pay you back in the future, maybe 2021? Or even ask for more PTO. The worse then can say is no as I doubt they'd fire you for countering.
Sorry that you're put in such a position.

A couple of options:

1. Maintain a hardline and refuse to take a paycut. They will pay and either terminate you without cause (which is likely in your contract, 60 or 90 days) or just not renew you at the end of your current contract. If you can get another job quickly etc, then you can try to force their hand.

2. Take the paycut.

3. Try to negotiate a pay deferral or some other type of equitable situation. This will only work if you have some type of leverage (they are in dire need of your skills etc). If no leverage, then you are at their mercy.

The only thing that could help would be if you negotiated as a group etc with your other colleagues. Replacing 1 physician is easy. Replacing several can be done but is not easy nor is it cheap.

Now that we are on the down swing slope of Covid, perfect timing to resign and start the process of opening your own private practice. It'll take several months to get squared away with insurance panels, create your polices, forms, website, etc.

Naturally, talk with a lawyer about the details of your contract, but it may be possible that if they fire you, any non-competes might be less likely to be enforced and you open up a practice wherever you want.

Reactions: 1 user