What do you think of PharmCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think of the new PharmCAS system? Maybe some of the med students will be able to shed some light on how it will affect the application process. I was worried that if I didn't get into Pharm school this year I would be in a world of hurt. (Luckily, I was just accepted into my first school yesterday) It seems like PharmCAS will greatly increase the number of applicants to any participating school. It seems like applicants can just click every school, and see what happens. I would think that this is going to make the already tough "alternate list" process even worse. It might make the actual application process easier, but it seems like it will make actually getting in a nightmare, especially when you think about how many applicatioins most schools are getting this year without PharmCAS(UofP had something like 1400; MWU, Downers Grove had something like 1000; even almost unheard-of schools had well over 600) Is pharmCAS good or bad for applicants and the profession?

Just curious,
Jd

Members don't see this ad.

It streamines the system, which although initially (on an applicant-by-applicant basis) it may be adverse, for the student population as whole, for the colleges, and for the profession it's a good idea. When you have a central body expend their resources and provide a framework and a large department with a allocated funds to review and process then it frees up the individual schools from doing this. The schools can then focus on recruitment/retention other ways they could be using their time/money. I think the small schools benefit from this more than the large.

Ultimately, making the process more user friendly for the applicants will result in more pharmacists which this country especially CA definitely needs