What do you think of the computer-based MCAT for 2007?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Starostik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My premed advisor sent and e-mail, telling all premeds that the paper-based MCAT is going to be replaced by the computer-based MCAT starting in 2007 if all works well. What do you think about it? I've included the website below:

http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/feb05/mcat.htm

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Starostik said:
My premed advisor sent and e-mail, telling all premeds that the paper-based MCAT is going to be replaced by the computer-based MCAT starting in 2007 if all works well. What do you think about it? I've included the website below:

I can't imagine taking the MCAT with out being able to read the passage on paper and write on it. That is especialy true for the verbal section. However, I was always shocked at how the AAMC was able to fit hell on a few dozen pieces of 8.5 X 11 paper. It'll be interesting to see how it looks on a 17-inch flat panel.

fear of change is a common occurence. i'm sure things will be a lot better with a computer based mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
wyzeguy said:
I was always shocked at how the AAMC was able to fit hell on a few dozen pieces of 8.5 X 11 paper.

So true

personally, my eyes would get tired looking at a computer screen for 6 hours. it's bad enough staring at a page of paper, but i think it'll be much worse on computer. i'm in kaplan now, and i'm always writing all over the paper, mapping passages and writing notes and such. how are you supposed to do that on a comp?

I took the written test for my pilots license on a computer (I believe it is offered bot on paper and on a computer)

it turned out to be pretty convenient, and I didn't have any problems with it, although I can see some of the following issues coming up:

some disadvantaged students who may not have spent their entire lives around computers could argue that this new format is unfair. I think there is a definite difference in reading something on a computer screen vs. reading it on paper - and those who have been using computers for the majority of their lives are pribably better at it.

Also, I personally would rather have a paper test for the verbal section, where the ability to read fast is important - I use a pencil or my finger to scan what I'm reading, and I like the flexibility of making notes and underlining (which is available on the computer test as well, but I just dont think its the same)

I dont think it will be a big deal, and I'm sure the test prep centers will soon be offering (ihey are not already) test preparation in this new format.

musiclink213 said:
personally, my eyes would get tired looking at a computer screen for 6 hours. it's bad enough staring at a page of paper, but i think it'll be much worse on computer. i'm in kaplan now, and i'm always writing all over the paper, mapping passages and writing notes and such. how are you supposed to do that on a comp?

I know what you mean; it can be harder to concentrate reading passages off of a computer screen rather than a printout. However, I personally welcome it as I have taken numerous computer based tests before and they generally are very organized in their structure, with passages and questions readily available on one screen etc. Also, typing the essay portion is a BIG benefit compared to writing it - saving test takers allot of time. And in my case a psychological benefit as well as I am used to typing essays. At the very least just the fact that they can administer more test dates and faster test results makes it worth it.

Aside from not being able to stare at a computer screen for hours on end....I would personally like it better because I can type faster than I can write. And for those people with bad handwriting, it would keep such an issue from becoming a problem. It would, however, cause people to start worrying about their typing skills. It would really suck to be a "hunt-and-peck"er and have only 30 minutes to get your thoughts across. :laugh: :laugh:

Dr. Starostik said:

I think a lot of people are scared of it, but in all actuality, we have to sit in front of a computer screen for like 8 hours during the boards. this might be a good way to see how u do in that circumstance. It could be benificial. but i dunno, i guess the first jump to the computer might not make it all that great for verbal, but they might make those sections easier? I'm not sure. atleast the writing section won't be bad.