• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

What do you think of hte Karma/Reputation system on the forum?

• Total voters

toothmail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
What do you think of the Karma/Reputation system on the forum?

Is it a good thing/should it remain on the forum?

Is it a bad thing/should it be removed?

Or are u undecided?

I for one feel it only fuels more fights and problems. i vote against it. i think we have enough problems to deal with, without another thing coming in the way.

toothlord

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Status
i think it should remain,though regulated.
we had a hard time trying to manage trolls before,with this system we can at least strongly disapprove what that troll posted with the negative implication on his/her reputation.
BUT the negative aspect from my point of view is the anonymousity of the system and iam afraid that it would be used non wisely.

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
www.gingermeggs.com
Status
I voted agaisnt. Unless people learn how to use it right will be a waste of time.
I got numberous karma with positive comments, but the user voted gray on it, 'cause they don't know how to use it. Plus, sometimes it just gives users the chance to vote agaisnt you, even in neutral topics where you're not even expressing an opinion.

Karma system is like a political correctness contest. People who are always neutral, never express strong opinions and just are here to say "congrats X, happy X day, etc", will always have good karma, even if the actual quality of their posts is nonexistant or useless. Just because they're always right, and never post anything that might be agaisnt someone, they'll find affection from some other user who'll keep bring their karma up. Or a just registered newbie, they have good karma, even if they posted only a welcome message. Which is good of course, so far there's nothing wrong with it.

On the other hand you have people like me, that express strong opinions and...... well you know the rest of the story. I'll always post something that SOMEBODY would not agree with, regard or regardless of political correctness, and then goes karma down the drain. At the end you have us (the policatically incorrect) with very low karma.

Say you're a newbie that knows nothing about the forum, you post a question and get different useful repplies from nalini or me with very bad karma. Remember you're a newbie, will you beleive a word of what I'm saying? Of couse not, why would you take the word of a user with such low reputation?

How are people suposse to discern the quality of each members post, if karma says the opposite. See my point?

About the Ads

toothlord

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Status
meggs said:
I got numberous karma with positive comments, but the user voted gray on it, 'cause they don't know how to use it.
i though gray is a good karma,isent it?

sara25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
OK....But I've been trying to figure out how to use it? I can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions? I don't think you can actually choose a color can u? Just post a comment and add it to the karma. I guess you get points for every reply???? I don't know.

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
www.gingermeggs.com
Status
sara25 said:
OK....But I've been trying to figure out how to use it? I can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions? I don't think you can actually choose a color can u? Just post a comment and add it to the karma. I guess you get points for every reply???? I don't know.
You can't choose a color, but you either approve or disapprove the post.

You don't get post for every repply. The SDN system isn't the one that awards points. Fellow users are the one's who either approve or disapprove your post and thus affect your karma. Only users who choose to vote on you post affect it, I mean, they have to actually click on the icon to vote. The mere fact of you posting, doesn't do anything for it.

Let me quote nalini when she pmed me
mrinalini said:
Each member can give karma points to other sdn members. Your total karma is made up of all the karma points given to you by other members.Each sdn member is able to give different karma points based on the following.
1. Number of months you have been an sdn member, each month adds 1 point. for eg I have been a member for 15 mths so If i give good karma to someone then they get 15 points.
2. number of posts, for each 1000 posts you have made you can give 1 karma point extra. Now suppose I have been a member for 15 months and I have 4000 posts I can give 19 karma points in one go.
3. Karma points, people with 100 karma points can give 1 extra point.

You can give a maximum of 5 karmas to memebers in 24 hours and each time you give good or bad karma to one person you have to give karma to ten other people before you can give karma to that same person again.
So senior members like henna and yourself can give or take away maximum number of karma points. newbies have less clout as they are new and have been registered recently......

Athene

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
www.nivmedia.com
Status
well well................................does it matter.........we all know who posts what and who is helpful and who is not........i guess karma does not matter....well yes u get to, know u have secret admirers.................. :love: :love: .................thanks to all......for positive karma.......and for negative ...........................................................lemme try......

mrinalini

bAbYRoAcH
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
London
Status
Ok one more important addition to this equation,
How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? = 10
So anyone with a reputation of less than ten cannot affect anyone elses reputation. So that means I cant give anyone good or bad karma :( . I think that sucks. I dont mind living with the bad karma, but i should be able to give my fair share :D :p . Thats why this system sucks. "karma, karma, karma, chameleon you come and go you come and go " :)

KAJALKIRAN

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
South Africa-USA
Status
..however! one significant thing I've noticed in this new system is that, one can actually view who voted for/against in any poll (unlike earlier..)
this may prevent some people from voting in the polls!

toothmail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
kajal i chose to let the votes be public when i posted the poll originally. i could've chosen to let it be concealed - i think it was the same thing earlier too.

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
www.gingermeggs.com
Status
mrinalini said:
So that means I cant give anyone good or bad karma :( . I think that sucks. I dont mind living with the bad karma, but i should be able to give my fair share :D :p .
Don't worry, I'll give you some good karma....... as soon as my 24 hour period is up and running again. :p

About the Ads

toothmail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
hi mrinalini

i passed on some good karma to u but it doesnt seem to have changed to green yet!

Ann 03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2004
Status
:) so did i M...

mrinalini

bAbYRoAcH
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
London
Status
Thanks guys :) Its helped :D
Check out my karma remark, given to me by a loving caring sdn member, ten minutes ago. I wonder who it was.

"huh! now started to beg for karma to get a green one!! but i thought you said you dont care....how more shameles can you be..you are still in this forum !hahaha!!!"

anonymity seems to bring out the best in some folks :)

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
www.gingermeggs.com
Status
mrinalini said:
...."huh! now started to beg for karma to get a green one!! but i thought you said you dont care....how more shameles can you be..you are still in this forum !hahaha!!!" ...
I wonder why this user still of this forum, even he keeps sending offensive PMs that violate the so called "TOS".

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
meggs said:
I voted agaisnt. Unless people learn how to use it right will be a waste of time.
I got numberous karma with positive comments, but the user voted gray on it, 'cause they don't know how to use it.
Gray doesn't mean that the person doesn't know what they're doing. It just means that they don't have influence at this point (too new of a member, not enough posts, not enough karma themselves).

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
www.gingermeggs.com
Status
Thanks DrMom, somebody else told me so later. I guess I'm still without understanding this system with detail. Thanks again.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
It took me a while to figure it out myself. :)

Henna

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2001
California
Visit site
Status
DrMom said:
It's still a mystery to me,,looks like its going to be a while before I figured it out completely.

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
www.gingermeggs.com
Status
DrMom said:
Saw this and reminded me of you, is from a dental patient recall postcard. :D

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
meggs said:
Saw this and reminded me of you, is from a dental patient recall postcard. :D

:laugh: Looks more like an ostrich...are you sure Olanzapine didn't pose for that picture? :)

About the Ads

Athene

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
www.nivmedia.com
Status
mrinalini said:
Thanks guys :) Its helped :D
Check out my karma remark, given to me by a loving caring sdn member, ten minutes ago. I wonder who it was.

"huh! now started to beg for karma to get a green one!! but i thought you said you dont care....how more shameles can you be..you are still in this forum !hahaha!!!"

anonymity seems to bring out the best in some folks :)
hi mrinalini ...this is a blessing in disguise........u r letting people take out there pent up frustration..........do not worry......as if this the only thing left on this earth to worry about.................may GOD deliver all...................amen........

toothlord

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Status
doc redd said:
i don't understand why a person with <50 posts or <10 points cannot vote for an opinion.
Afterall an "Opinion is an Opinion".
what do you mean?
who said a member with low number of posts cant post his opinion?

dentaldoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
toothlord said:
what do you mean?
who said a member with low number of posts cant post his opinion?
Well they can post but they don't have the "power" to alter others karma - meaning they cannot add or take ur points (am I right :idea: )

toothmail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
well i guess the number of points u can give to a person or take away from a person depends on ur own karma which is related to what others have taken or given away and also when u registered on the forum. not too sure how it works yet!!

anyways does anyone have any idea what "referral" is? i have one on my public profile and i dont know what it means.

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
www.gingermeggs.com
Status
toothmail said:
anyways does anyone have any idea what "referral" is? i have one on my public profile and i dont know what it means.
Perhaps you should ask that in the SDN Feedback Forum. Chances are you'll get more repplies there.

toothlord

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Status
i imagine what would happen to my karma if doctor mom with her enourmous karma approves my posts :D ,or disapproves it:eek:

Athene

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
www.nivmedia.com
Status
toothlord said:
i imagine what would happen to my karma if doctor mom with her enourmous karma approves my posts :D ,or disapproves it:eek:
hey toothlord...............nice and helpful people like u always got GOOD kaRMA.......... :thumbup: :thumbup: ........SO DO NOT WORRY........

cbc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
my goal is to get as low karma as possible. hey, f u all!!! I'm assuming blue means i'm headed towards the right direction.

karmas are inaccurate. some like to involve myself in heated debates, because that's where the fun is at. obviously, it's easy to pick up bad karma from posting in places like "kings vs lakers." others like to involve themselves with more uppity posts like, "if you live in anchorage and love living here, post now!" they'll make instant friendships. also, some like to be supportive, while others like to raise the other face of the issue. Both are helpful, but obviously, the latter will get hit with the bad karma for seemingly arguing. The fact is karma will have nothing to do with what they post, but where and how they post. oh well, another stupid thing to ignore about sdn.

pinktooth

Paint my world...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Planet Earth
Visit site
Status
Hi Folks,
I am back on SDN after a week and behold..........gosh it is totally changed... ;)
Maybe I am a bit insecure in my life right now and do not like 'friendly' things to change...I amfeeling left out on this Karma theory but as I see that I am 'green' aleast I can post my opinion...Thank God :sleep:

Athene

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
www.nivmedia.com
Status
pinktooth said:
Hi Folks,
I am back on SDN after a week and behold..........gosh it is totally changed... ;)
Maybe I am a bit insecure in my life right now and do not like 'friendly' things to change...I amfeeling left out on this Karma theory but as I see that I am 'green' aleast I can post my opinion...Thank God :sleep:
hi di.............ur welcome back..............no need to feel left out..........we r all together........just that now we express ourselves in cool blue......... :) :D

About the Ads