Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What do you think of these 2 books......

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Femtochemistry, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Femtochemistry

Femtochemistry Skunk Works
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was looking on Amazon and both of these books are getting really bad ratings:
    Barrons: how to prepare for the mcat 9th ed.
    Arco (petersons): mcat sample exams 4th ed.

Has anybody here used any of these books to study of the mcat? Any feedback is greatly welcomed!

thx

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just about everything of Barrons that I've seen has been of pretty bad quality. I looked at some of their MCAT stuff and didn't like it, and their GRE material is really bad.

Arco. Can't really say anything about.

I'd choose from either: Kaplan, Flowers, or my favorite Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.

4. Femtochemistry

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    thx for the input. I already have all the kaplan books, flowers & silver, and the lippincott books. I just thought i may need more practice exams.

5. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Have you looked into AMCAS's online tests. I'm going to sign up for them pretty soon. Looks like they give you a lot of feedback and explain why you got the answers wrong. It even tells you what percentage of you guesses are right. $80 gets you access to I think 4 tests.

6. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

Why would you want to take a test online? You need to keep the test situation as close as possible to the real thing. I can't imagine how the verbal section works...do you keep scrolling back to refer to the passage? If so, that would take forever.

7. Femtochemistry

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How about the Kaplan 45? is that any good?

8. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you're interested in the online test I think the best thing to do is go through the demo and decide if it's right for you. I really liked the detailed feedback and direction they give you. When you're doing questions the passage stays on the left and new ones appear to the right. Some scrolling down is necessary. The tests are timed and for me the reality is that if I can answer all the questions in the time given then you're doing pretty well. Maybe I'll make up a bubble sheet and practice that on my own.

9. jintonic5

jintonic5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what do you guys think of test prep material from REA and Examkrackers(or was it Testkrackers? i forget the exact name of it, something like that)... ?
    thanks!

10. Femtochemistry

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hi,

The Examkrackers books are wonderful too. I browsed them at B&N. But the complete vol. (set of 3 or 5 books i think) was a little to rich for my blood: $149.

I am planning to buy the "Kaplan 45." Anyone have this book and like to comment?

11. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

I think the online test would be good for free-standing science questions. And some of the passages, too, to give you an idea of how much you know. I still think it would be too difficult to take the thing online.