What do you think of this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmick101

Kung Fu DDS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was doing some research online about dental cavities and I bumped into this article:

http://www.healthmantra.com/ypb/jan2002/caries.htm

This guys believes that he may have found the cure for cavities forever! Apparently he has found a way to replace the little critter that eats sugar and poops lactic acid with a closely related cousin that eats sugar but doesnt poop acid. If this works, doesnt that mean that we might be out of a job?

Members don't see this ad.

This idea has been around a LONG time. Can you imagine the process to get FDA approval for this? Intentionally introducing an entirely new bacterial symbiote into the human body? We're not talking a vaccine here. We're talking some serious uncharted territory.

When this type of therapy first happens it is not going to be for something as easily preventable and treatable as caries. Our jobs are safe for a long time to come.

Good points, getting approval for that would be a nightmare. But as far as public health goes, it would be a breakthrough treatment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if this did get approved, it would only be a matter of time before a new Strep mutans or Actinomyces strain developed that was resistant to this "miracle caries cure." Scientists would then be scraping to find a way to fight off these strains and it would be a never-ending process.

Even if this did get approved, it would only be a matter of time before a new Strep mutans or Actinomyces strain developed that was resistant to this "miracle caries cure." Scientists would then be scraping to find a way to fight off these strains and it would be a never-ending process.

This is not an issue of trying to kill streptococcus mutans but a genetically engineered version that doesnt deposit lactic acid on the tooth.

. Can you imagine the process to get FDA approval for this? Intentionally introducing an entirely new bacterial symbiote into the human body?....

There's no telling what the FDA will approve. Just to let you know that one of the treatments for C Difficile is a suppository of horse ****. And by horse ****, I mean horse ****. They stick it up your a$$ so you can repopulate normal colonic flora to overcome the C difficile. That's FDA approved and can be ordered at many hospitals, including one of the hospitals I work at. Too bad I haven't had the opportunity yet to write that order yet. Needless to say it isn't the first line of therapy.