ResIpsa

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Status
Safe or unsafe? Worth it or not?

I have naturally yellow teeth--even as a child, it has nothing to do with drinking coffee or staining. It's inherited, and I wonder if I should get them whitened. But what long-term studies on the safety of this procedure have been done--i.e. 5 to 10 years? Gum sensitivity?

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ResIpsa said:

I have naturally yellow teeth--even as a child, it has nothing to do with drinking coffee or staining. It's inherited, and I wonder if I should get them whitened. But what long-term studies on the safety of this procedure have been done--i.e. 5 to 10 years? Gum sensitivity?

i had the same problem. I bought some of the meijer brand white strips for like $20 and they HELPED tremendously. Most everyone that I am in contact with regularly noticed. It didnt make them any where close to movie star perfect white, but they it got rid of the obvious yellow color. My gf used these and she has nice white teeth, but not like chalk white, and they were of little help to her.

SPBest

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale
Status
ResIpsa said:

Bleaching your teeth is very safe. The biggest complication is temporary sensitivity. While it has only been widespread recently, tooth bleaching has been around for quite a while.

You will probably see some difference, however bleaching removes staining and things on or very near the surface of the tooth. Everyone has different natural colors in their teeth, you are not likely to get lighter than your natural color. But I guarantee you that you will see a difference.