What do you think of Western U??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolwinner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a new optometry school opening at Western University this year..
Anyone has an opinion or an advice about the school??

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's completely unneeded and will only further harm the profession by adding to the current oversupply of ODs.

Western isn't a bad university overall, although it seems like most people attend programs at western U because they were rejected from most other schools. i personally know friends who attend their pharm and DO programs, and they got in with decent GPAs, test scores, and extra curriculars. i don't believe there's a "demand" for more optometrists in california due to the aging population (i think that's just an excuse to promote the populaity of the profession), so im pretty sure the optometry program at western was developed to expand the school and to make more money.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think this illustration is very accurate.

Uninformed Student = :soexcited:

Optometrist = :boom:

I agree that it is completely unnecessary. I'm not quite sure why anyone would choose to go to a brand new school with no reputation when they could go not too far down the road to SCCO which has an excellent reputation, unless they had no other option.

One thing I do find interesting is their focus on neuro-optometry. Also, working so closely with other health professions would be interesting, but still not enough for me to go back in time and apply there instead.

I agree that it is completely unnecessary. I'm not quite sure why anyone would choose to go to a brand new school with no reputation when they could go not too far down the road to SCCO which has an excellent reputation, unless they had no other option.

One thing I do find interesting is their focus on neuro-optometry. Also, working so closely with other health professions would be interesting, but still not enough for me to go back in time and apply there instead.

Agreed, I would not want to put my bet on a new school not yet accredited by the ACOE.

As for the focus on neuro-optometry and inter-professional relations... that's all just talk for now. What's so particularly special about Western that they can make everyone play along with optometry students, and where in the world are they going to find enough neuro-ophthalmic problems to give their students the experience to really focus on it anymore than the other schools?

As for the focus on neuro-optometry and inter-professional relations... that's all just talk for now. What's so particularly special about Western that they can make everyone play along with optometry students, and where in the world are they going to find enough neuro-ophthalmic problems to give their students the experience to really focus on it anymore than the other schools?

Good points - the talk sounds good but we will have to see how it plays out.

Yeah, it's completely unneeded and will only further harm the profession by adding to the current oversupply of ODs.

Great answer! I'm glad you took time to really think about the question and answer it.

Douche

Great answer! I'm glad you took time to really think about the question and answer it.

Douche

Way to be a pro, tarheels. You'll be a great addition to the profession.

By the way, the question was "Anyone have an opinion or advice about the school?" I replied that the school wasn't necessary. What's there to think about? Is this just another case of a know-it-all student not liking an answer from an OD?

I apologize. For some reason I thought you wasn't the smartest person on the board. WTF was I thinking? Again, I'm sorry that this thought ever crossed my mind. For that, I now realize that I'm the dumbest opt student ever and just go ahead and drop out because there's no place for me in the field. Dang, I was really looking forward to poking peoples eyeballs out once I graduated too. :rolleyes: