What do you think the "coolest" thing in Medicine is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boolean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we all know, with the rise of recent technology, many amazing advances are occurring within Medicine and its related fields. What do you personally feel is the "coolest" or most interesting thing in Medicine?

Personally, I feel the rise of tablet computers in medicine is one of the most interesting topics there is. Sure, there are multiple downfalls (HIPAA, most notably...), but I think the information they can provide and analyse is absolutely wicked.

Full patient histories in the palm of your hand the second you walk in? How cool is that!

I'd love to hear what you think of this topic. Any moderately on topic discussion is more than welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

As we all know, with the rise of recent technology, many amazing advances are occurring within Medicine and its related fields. What do you personally feel is the "coolest" or most interesting thing in Medicine?

Personally, I feel the rise of tablet computers in medicine is one of the most interesting topics there is. Sure, there are multiple downfalls (HIPAA, most notably...), but I think the information they can provide and analyse is absolutely wicked.

Full patient histories in the palm of your hand the second you walk in? How cool is that!

I'd love to hear what you think of this topic. Any moderately on topic discussion is more than welcome.

For some reason, I am really fascinated by reproductive technology -- in-vitro fertilization, surrogate mothers, etc. Crazy stuff.

Nuclear medicine always fascinated me; I'm curious to see how that specialty develops over time. Actually, any time there's an interface between medicine and physics, I am always interested. PET scans, for example, result from the annihilation of matter by an anti-matter positron injected into your body (via a radionuclide). The resulting gamma rays of the annihilation are recorded and analyzed to develop a three dimensional image. Cool, huh? It really brings the abstract to life.

I also like the fact that there is still so much about the human body that we don't understand, particularly in the fields of immunology, oncology, neurology and psychiatry. No one can sufficiently account for consciousness yet. How will medicine be instrumental in solving that puzzle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nuclear medicine always fascinated me; I'm curious to see how that specialty develops over time. Actually, any time there's an interface between medicine and physics, I am always interested. PET scans, for example, result from the annihilation of matter by an anti-matter positron injected into your body (via a radionuclide). The resulting gamma rays of the annihilation are recorded and analyzed to develop a three dimensional image. Cool, huh? It really brings the abstract to life.

I also like the fact that there is still so much about the human body that we don't understand, particularly in the fields of immunology, oncology, neurology and psychiatry. No one can sufficiently account for consciousness yet. How will medicine be instrumental in solving that puzzle?
I distinctly remember a lecture in my psychology class in high school in which we looked at PET scans. The sheer brilliance that such a scan can produce, its captivating. I could look at them for hours.

As one hoping to do research in immunology, I certainly agree with you. While our understanding of medicine is immense, it's only a drop in what is the endless ocean of human existence. It'll be quite amazing to see what advances we see in medicine within the upcoming decades.

Nuc med is a dying field. Most places don't even hire those anymore.

Genomics and molecular medicine are mind blowing. That we can currently treat some cancers in a way that is specific to their particular mutation or treat previously untreatable genetic diseases because we understand how they work on a pathway level is like science fiction come to life.

Reactions: 1 users
Graphic surface rendering of a fetus in 3-D ultrasound: like a photograph of an unborn baby.

Reactions: 1 user
Use of davinci machines to do surgery remotely.

To me the coolest thing in medicine are the drugs and their black label uses. I know it's not that exciting but I love seeing a medicine do something completely different than what it's marketed for.

Magnetic resonance imaging.

544px-DTI-sagittal-fibers.jpg

Graphic surface rendering of a fetus in 3-D ultrasound: like a photograph of an unborn baby.
I heard from a cardiologist I met that he thinks in a couple decades or sooner, the stethoscope will be replaced by pocket 3D ultrasound devices. Not sure how feasible that is, but sounds really cool!

The capacity to fill so many leadership roles in society and it's development and progress is pretty cool.

Also---->
CTA1_animated.gif
rads is pretty cool

The advances in prostheses/prosthetics are incredible. It's pretty insane that we live among actual cyborgs.

Last edited:
tablet computers, seriously?
You seem to understate the vast amount of technology that goes into one of these devices. It isn't simply a tablet computer. It's the wireless internet, the ability to store patient records in the cloud, the ability to maintain a secure and sound environment within cyberspace for medical data. Decades of research has gone into creating such wonderful and versatile devices. People have literally devoted their lives to such products. So yeah, tablet computers, seriously.

You seem to understate the vast amount of technology that goes into one of these devices. It isn't simply a tablet computer. It's the wireless internet, the ability to store patient records in the cloud, the ability to maintain a secure and sound environment within cyberspace for medical data. Decades of research has gone into creating such wonderful and versatile devices. People have literally devoted their lives to such products. So yeah, tablet computers, seriously.

that wasn't my point.

when asked "what is the coolest thing in medicine" I think the "thing in medicine" part of the question is fairly important. tablet computers are so not unique to medicine that having that as an answer to the question is extremely boring.

imagine 100 years or so asking "whats the coolest thing in medicine?"... "telephones! now i can call my patients and my patients can call me!". See what I mean. (by the way, I am completely clueless about when and how long ago telephones were invented)

that wasn't my point.

when asked "what is the coolest thing in medicine" I think the "thing in medicine" part of the question is fairly important. tablet computers are so not unique to medicine that having that as an answer to the question is extremely boring.

imagine 100 years or so asking "whats the coolest thing in medicine?"... "telephones! now i can call my patients and my patients can call me!". See what I mean. (by the way, I am completely clueless about when and how long ago telephones were invented)
Alright, I see your point. I feel the usage of tablet computers within the medical field is the coolest "thing in medicine"
I find the vast amount of technology that comes into play within the usage of such devices in a medical setting to be mind boggling and certainly nothing short of awe striking.
The telephone was invented in 1870.

yeah but its also OMG SO AMAZING how tablet computers and smartphones are used for advertising. I mean the vast amount of technology that comes into play to analyze data and send people advertisements that are personalized and targeted specifically for that person. And the fact that these devices are so lightweight, portable, fast, and carried by so many people everywhere they go. It is just so mind boggling and certainly nothing short of awe striking! Not to mention decades of research has gone into creating such wonderful and versatile technology and people have literally devoted their lives to make this possible.

:p

My answer would be 4D Radiation Therapy. Zapping a heart tumor while being able to take into account the motion of the beating heart is mad cool.

Last edited: