What do you think the Democratic senate majority will mean for medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChordaEpiphany

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's all but a sure thing that both Ossoff and Warnock have won in Georgia. Democrats will have a majority in the house and senate with a sitting Democratic president for the first time since 2011. Republicans have cut public healthcare spending, failed to expand Medicaid, and introduced some very regressive legislature on healthcare (e.g. the AHCA), but their policies have, in general, been good for physicians' bottom line and have allowed certain industries/innovations to flourish (though possibly at the detriment to some of those paying for them). Democrats supported the ACA and reliably support increases in healthcare spending, particularly for the underserved, but we've also seen Democrats support NP practice rights in ways that appear outright dangerous. Democrats also have a sizable contingent who support single-payer healthcare, which I will not classify as good or bad.

I'm excited to see the possibility of changes that are long overdue, but I'm also apprehensive about what they might mean for clinical salaries, physician authority in the hospital, and the viability innovative but expensive therapies (e.g. CAR T cells, gene therapy). Another part of me wonders if these changes will be "enough" to take healthcare out of the hot seat. I wonder if more Americans are insured, and they no longer face the threats of massive surprise bills (e.g. out-of-network billing for hospital stays), will the debate simmer down, or do you think this will rage on until we have a single payer system?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not confirmed Ossoff won though. And this topic is more suited for Topics in Healthcare forums (or maybe SPF knowing allo)

And i have no idea what's going to happen for reasons similar to why people on SDN kept speculating what would happen if Sanders or Warren won.

Hopefully we get a lot more funding for medical research and a complete overhaul and update of R01s since that's currently a mess.

Depends on who wins the civil war I guess

/s (probably)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not confirmed Ossoff won though. And this topic is more suited for Topics in Healthcare forums (or maybe SPF knowing allo)

And i have no idea what's going to happen for reasons similar to why people on SDN kept speculating what would happen if Sanders or Warren won.

Hopefully we get a lot more funding for medical research and a complete overhaul and update of R01s since that's currently a mess.
If this is the wrong place, mods feel free to move it. I saw a bunch of other political threads in this forum so I thought it was more of a free-for-all in here.

It's not confirmed he's won, but he's ahead by 16,000+ and the rest of the votes are coming from large metropolitan areas. He's already claimed victory.

Last edited:
If this is the wrong place, mods feel free to move it. I saw a bunch of other political threads in this forum so I thought it was more of free-for-all in here.

It's not confirmed he's won, but he's ahead by 16,000+ and the rest of the votes are coming from large metropolitan areas. He's already claimed victory.

Claiming victory doesn't mean anything. It needs to be officially declared. Also recounts can happen given an even more stupidly hyperpartisan environment.

This is why i can't say at all what's going to happen to medicine. A lot can change (or not happen at all) in 2 years until Republicans strike back with a vengeance and reclaim the House and/or Senate (see 2010).

If this is the wrong place, mods feel free to move it. I saw a bunch of other political threads in this forum so I thought it was more of a free-for-all in here.

source for the remaining votes only coming from metropolitan areas? i cant find any info on what the remaining 2% is

I don’t think there’s any way this thread will stay focused on issues related to medical school, as it has already gone off into the political realm in the first few posts.

Plenty of places to discuss politics elsewhere today.

Status
Not open for further replies.