What do you think the hardest part of being a doctor will be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was at a gathering for the SVA yesterday and I made a remark about how it was too bad we couldn't offer some healthy alternatives to the garbage we were serving up to our guests (cake, ice cream and soda) and you would have thought I just said that we faked the moon landings by the reactions everyone had.

So in a word, apathy will be the hardest thing for me. The idea that some people don't care about their health at all is mind boggling to me. I understand ignorance, because that can be alleviated by education. When you tell someone smoking is affiliated with multiple health issues and they realize they should quit, then that to me is a normal reaction. When you tell a patient the same thing and they reply with "well, I'm just taking the crappy years off my life anyway, I'd rather die young before I get too old," then I realize that the good god Darwin is still alive and doing his thing....

Members don't see this ad.

Working in a hospital I see this sort of behavior all the time. An ICU patient demanding to walk down to the hospital park to smoke, and they come back blaming God for their health. My favorite are the patients that have the 44 oz. big gulp coke and are diabetic. From my experience, they all will agree this or that is bad in regards to someone else's health, but they are the exception.

Was at a gathering for the SVA yesterday and I made a remark about how it was too bad we couldn't offer some healthy alternatives to the garbage we were serving up to our guests (cake, ice cream and soda) and you would have thought I just said that we faked the moon landings by the reactions everyone had.

So in a word, apathy will be the hardest thing for me. The idea that some people don't care about their health at all is mind boggling to me. I understand ignorance, because that can be alleviated by education. When you tell someone smoking is affiliated with multiple health issues and they realize they should quit, then that to me is a normal reaction. When you tell a patient the same thing and they reply with "well, I'm just taking the crappy years off my life anyway, I'd rather die young before I get too old," then I realize that the good god Darwin is still alive and doing his thing....

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dealing with the insurance companies.

Reactions: 1 user
When you tell someone smoking is affiliated with multiple health issues and they realize they should quit, then that to me is a normal reaction.

Let me help you get over this problem now.

People know that the things they do (smoking, overeating, sedentary lifestyle, sugary drinks, alcoholism, drug addiction) are bad for their health. They already know they should quit. You telling them something is bad for them will never, ever make them "realize they should quit." Part of your job will be convincing them that it's not too late, it's possible, it's been done before, and there's a lot of help out there for them.

Reactions: 6 users
A lot of physicians have similar lifestyle issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of physicians have similar lifestyle issues.

The older I get the harder it is for me to see medical professionals ignoring their own "great" advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Let me help you get over this problem now.

People know that the things they do (smoking, overeating, sedentary lifestyle, sugary drinks, alcoholism, drug addiction) are bad for their health. They already know they should quit. You telling them something is bad for them will never, ever make them "realize they should quit." Part of your job will be convincing them that it's not too late, it's possible, it's been done before, and there's a lot of help out there for them.

Like when you are drinking a soda and someone says to you, did you know soda is unhealthy and there is a new study linking it to heart disease? Yes, I ****ing know. Thanks.

Reactions: 3 users
Like when you are drinking a soda and someone says to you, did you know soda is unhealthy and there is a new study linking it to heart disease? Yes, I ****ing know. Thanks.

Or someone that says "oh your drinking Diet Coke it is so bad for you - worse than regular soda"
Like, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

getting in! lol

some of those adcoms are sooooo self righteous ....especially the women amogn them

Going from the idealism to the banality of everyday medical practice. It is easy to loose context of what it is you are doing. Every patient treated becoming a series of abstract actions that seem to have no connection to health and well being for the person. Politics of Medical Staff Offices in smaller hospitals.