What do you think the hardest part of being a doctor will be?

esob

Protomolecule
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
Icaria Planum
Status
Medical Student
Was at a gathering for the SVA yesterday and I made a remark about how it was too bad we couldn't offer some healthy alternatives to the garbage we were serving up to our guests (cake, ice cream and soda) and you would have thought I just said that we faked the moon landings by the reactions everyone had.

So in a word, apathy will be the hardest thing for me. The idea that some people don't care about their health at all is mind boggling to me. I understand ignorance, because that can be alleviated by education. When you tell someone smoking is affiliated with multiple health issues and they realize they should quit, then that to me is a normal reaction. When you tell a patient the same thing and they reply with "well, I'm just taking the crappy years off my life anyway, I'd rather die young before I get too old," then I realize that the good god Darwin is still alive and doing his thing....

wholeheartedly

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2009
Beyond the Wall
In a very broad sense, expectations vs. reality.

Jul 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Working in a hospital I see this sort of behavior all the time. An ICU patient demanding to walk down to the hospital park to smoke, and they come back blaming God for their health. My favorite are the patients that have the 44 oz. big gulp coke and are diabetic. From my experience, they all will agree this or that is bad in regards to someone else's health, but they are the exception.

Was at a gathering for the SVA yesterday and I made a remark about how it was too bad we couldn't offer some healthy alternatives to the garbage we were serving up to our guests (cake, ice cream and soda) and you would have thought I just said that we faked the moon landings by the reactions everyone had.

So in a word, apathy will be the hardest thing for me. The idea that some people don't care about their health at all is mind boggling to me. I understand ignorance, because that can be alleviated by education. When you tell someone smoking is affiliated with multiple health issues and they realize they should quit, then that to me is a normal reaction. When you tell a patient the same thing and they reply with "well, I'm just taking the crappy years off my life anyway, I'd rather die young before I get too old," then I realize that the good god Darwin is still alive and doing his thing....

el_duderino

Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When you tell someone smoking is affiliated with multiple health issues and they realize they should quit, then that to me is a normal reaction.
Let me help you get over this problem now.

People know that the things they do (smoking, overeating, sedentary lifestyle, sugary drinks, alcoholism, drug addiction) are bad for their health. They already know they should quit. You telling them something is bad for them will never, ever make them "realize they should quit." Part of your job will be convincing them that it's not too late, it's possible, it's been done before, and there's a lot of help out there for them.

Jun 20, 2015
Let me help you get over this problem now.

People know that the things they do (smoking, overeating, sedentary lifestyle, sugary drinks, alcoholism, drug addiction) are bad for their health. They already know they should quit. You telling them something is bad for them will never, ever make them "realize they should quit." Part of your job will be convincing them that it's not too late, it's possible, it's been done before, and there's a lot of help out there for them.
Like when you are drinking a soda and someone says to you, did you know soda is unhealthy and there is a new study linking it to heart disease? Yes, I ****ing know. Thanks.

LivMoore

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2015
Texas
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Like when you are drinking a soda and someone says to you, did you know soda is unhealthy and there is a new study linking it to heart disease? Yes, I ****ing know. Thanks.
Or someone that says "oh your drinking Diet Coke it is so bad for you - worse than regular soda"
Like, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JoeCaputo

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician

samsam66

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

getting in! lol

some of those adcoms are sooooo self righteous ....especially the women amogn them

libertyyne

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Going from the idealism to the banality of everyday medical practice. It is easy to loose context of what it is you are doing. Every patient treated becoming a series of abstract actions that seem to have no connection to health and well being for the person. Politics of Medical Staff Offices in smaller hospitals.

Apr 25, 2014
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Dealing with bureaucratic BS from insurers, hospitals, and the government.
THIS!!!! The paperwork, meetings, insurance/gov, and related BS will occupy at varying times 20-50% plus of your time. You think you are becoming a physician to doctor people, but too often you get stuck doing everything else.

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Administration's clueless rules and bureaucratic bull****.