What do you think the lifestyle is like...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for surgeons. I apologize in advance if anyone is tired of being asked this question. I am a student and very interested in Peds CT surgery. I am curious if the life of a surgeon is really that crappy compared to like a cardiologist. I know residency and such is a lot of work, but isn't every specialty? I would appreciate any input because all I have gotten are very stereotypical answers from other students. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the lifestyle is really crappy. give it some time -- of you really love the specialty the hours won't matter.

yeah...everyone has the preconceived notion that ALL surgeons work crazy hours...which is totally untrue. As medical students, we are exposed to a biased view on the lives of academic surgeons. Many surgeons in pure private practice have more options as to how many hours they work and what the call schedule will be like...it depends on how many people you have in your group, etc. You can work more if you want to or work less. Also, the field you choose will influence the number of hours you may work. Peds surgery is probably the most difficult of all specialties to get into...most residents end up applying to both Canadian and US programs (including St. George). Of the peds surgeons that I have come across, many actually make less than a GS or just slightly more...it's certainly not a lucrative field for many people (in or around large metro areas...)...but I've seen posts for ped surg in mid-west and south were the salary figures a much better. But I think it's an interesting field, but I can't imagine myself going through 5 years of residency, 1-3 years of research and an additional 2-3 years of peds surg...I just need to pay off my med school debt...

Members don't see this ad :)
surg4me, the OP was asking about pediatric CT surgery not pediatric surgery.

As far as I've been told a fellowship in pediatric CT surgery is even easier to get than a regular CT fellowship (which itself is not difficult to get these days). Less and less people are going into CT surgery and you first have to do a CT surgery fellowship before doing a congenital cardiac surgery fellowship---so it makes sense that more congenital CT fellowships would be open. Not to mention that not a whole lot of CT surgeons want to do congenital cardiac surgery (very difficult, not as much $$ as adult CT surgery, not as many jobs).

So if your goal is to be a pediatric heart surgeon then chances are you will get a spot if you ever make it that far. Most of the people who wanted to never do.

oops...sorry...

I spent a little time with the Pediatric CT guys at Duke and they seemed to work a rough schedule. At the time I was still in undergrad so surely my perspective is different now. I just remember they could be up most of the night doing a transplant and then have regular cases the next day on a fairly regular basis. It didn't seem like anything I wanted any part of and I'm planning to try for surgery next year. Just keep in mind this is all anecdotal, give it a try yourself and see what you think. Good luck to you and hope you find what you're looking for!

Why is everyone so concerned with lifestyle? If you want to be a surgeon, then be a surgeon. If you are worried about lifestyle, why the hell did you go to medical school anyway?

There are various types of surgery and one thing that many people consider is what type of lifestyle they might have once they finish training. I don't think it's at all odd to wonder what life will be like once you finish. You can certainly work 80-90 hours a week for life if you want, but that's not something that everyone is looking for.

Thank you very much for the input. I am very interested in this field, but know for certain that I want to have a family and not be an invisible father and husband who does nothing but work. I guess I'll see how it goes as I go along. Thanks though for your replies!!!