Oct 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I am having difficulty deciding which offer to accept. I am lucky to have a few schools to choose from. Let me know what you think.

U of P- very far from home, very expensive, nice location, nice people, I am not sure about a three year program- maybe too quick, I am in no hurry to graduate early. I am mostly interested in a strong clinical program but may also be interested in specializing. bf wants me to pick u of p.

Tufts- great location, great curriculum, great facilities, expensive, received small scholarship, nice people.......

OSU- close to home, cheap, nice people, not crazy about the actual dental school

Kentucky- nice location, nice people, not so expensive

NYU- big city, lots of students, expensive, i dont think that this is for me. students did not seem very happy to be there during interview.

Also have waiting to hear back from a few schools- penn, temple and mich

MrWilson

7+ Year Member
May 12, 2010
While I am certainly not qualified to answer this question, I'll make one comment (taking a break from studying). After speaking to one well-informed dentist that is heavily involved in dental CE as an instructor, he mentioned his top three schools on the east coast that he would apply if he was doing so now, and one of them was Kentucky. He said it's one of the best overall programs, and the students are really happy there. Not to say the others are not, but this is the opinion of one professional.

punchdrunk7

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
Status
Dentist
In the end go where it is cheaper, you will have a great time at all the schools but the debt you accumulate is out of your control. The less=the better

Jun 23, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
same problem!! between osu (instate) and nyu!! need advice... leaning toward osu
which is the better program?

DATlongshui

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
While I am certainly not qualified to answer this question, I'll make one comment (taking a break from studying). After speaking to one well-informed dentist that is heavily involved in dental CE as an instructor, he mentioned his top three schools on the east coast that he would apply if he was doing so now, and one of them was Kentucky. He said it's one of the best overall programs, and the students are really happy there. Not to say the others are not, but this is the opinion of one professional.
What's the other two on his favorite list? Thx.

7 Iron

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2010
Status
Dentist
Those are all very different schools you've listed. It really depends on what you want out of school. See comments in red.

U of P- very far from home, very expensive, nice location, nice people, I am not sure about a three year program- maybe too quick, I am in no hurry to graduate early. I am mostly interested in a strong clinical program but may also be interested in specializing. bf wants me to pick u of p. based on what you're saying here (your bf wants you to attend UoP but YOU don't.... so do not choose UoP)

Tufts- great location, great curriculum, great facilities, expensive, received small scholarship, nice people....... a contender, given your scholarship; this is in a big city

OSU- close to home, cheap, nice people, not crazy about the actual dental school seems like all benefits here with family around and least $$

Kentucky- nice location, nice people, not so expensive another contender, but Lexington is vastly different from Columbus and Boston........ where do you see yourself?

NYU- big city, lots of students, expensive, i dont think that this is for me. students did not seem very happy to be there during interview. do not choose, you listed all negative aspects of NYU here.

Jul 20, 2010
ohio
Status
Pre-Dental
OSU is VERY strong clinically and VERY affordable for instate students...one of the OOS students that was at the student panel I went to said he choose OSU because they produce GREAT dentists with a ton of people specializing all using older tools. Though they have updated a lot lately, if you can become a fabulous dentist with older supplies/ machinery...think of how much more ahead you will be in a private practice setting with better tools. I say...GO BUCKS!

eringer

5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Can you make a dentist's salary while in your 4th year of dental school? You think that is a crazy question, but if you go to UoP, you will...because you will be a dentist! Who cares about the difference of even $100,000 of school debt when you can make double or triple that working as a dentist in one year!

Blarelli

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2007
Status
Dentist
Can you make a dentist's salary while in your 4th year of dental school? You think that is a crazy question, but if you go to UoP, you will...because you will be a dentist! Who cares about the difference of even $100,000 of school debt when you can make double or triple that working as a dentist in one year!
Where exactly is this that fresh graduates are making $300k, or even $200k a year?

eringer

5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Where exactly is this that fresh graduates are making $300k, or even $200k a year?
Shadowed a guy who bought into a practice and makes $250k in a general dentist practice in Las Vegas...not even a good place to practice considering there are way too many dentists

slm266

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2008
Status
Dentist
You can make 200K in your prime years before you retire. Say everyone entering the 2011 class retires in 2055. Assume it take that dentist 8 years to reach a plateau of 200K. The UoP graduate will have 1 extra year making that 200k because he started a year earlier.

Dec 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I would choose UK but thats because I'm choosing between UK and Louisville:D I'm sure you will make a good decision. UK has a small class size of 56 or so students which is a plus for me, the teachers are helpful and the students work together to make it through.

Oct 12, 2010
Status
I would personally go with instate tuition - you will be a dentist after 4 years no matter where you graduate. Might as well pay less doing it. Looks like from your pros Tufts was your favorite out of state. If you have a scholarship your first year and do well maybe it will increase for subsequent years.

Dec 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
One other thing Tufts has for it is that in Mass you can work as a hygienist in your third and forth year of dental school. No other state in the US allows for such a thing. They make an average of $40 an hour.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
OSU- close to home, cheap, nice people, not crazy about the actual dental school

Cost will make any dental school experience better. You'll be closer to family during some breaks. You can go elsewhere later on and it wouldn't be as expensive. :idea:

the toothfairy

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
Dentist
I am having difficulty deciding which offer to accept. I am lucky to have a few schools to choose from. Let me know what you think.

U of P- very far from home, very expensive, nice location, nice people, I am not sure about a three year program- maybe too quick, I am in no hurry to graduate early. I am mostly interested in a strong clinical program but may also be interested in specializing. bf wants me to pick u of p.

Tufts- great location, great curriculum, great facilities, expensive, received small scholarship, nice people.......

Kentucky- nice location, nice people, not so expensive

NYU- big city, lots of students, expensive, i dont think that this is for me. students did not seem very happy to be there during interview.

Also have waiting to hear back from a few schools- penn, temple and mich
Hi

So you must be a very good undergrad student to be able to pick from so many schools.
Congrats on that.

to put my 2 cents in:

First think of what is going to make you happiest. Dental school is very stressful and you need to e in an environment that will be helpful to you.

If you have not done this I advise you to visit the school and speak the to
the students that are there already. That way you can have an idea of what to expect.

I am a graduate of UMDNJ class of 88. If I had to do it all over again that is what I would have done.

I was very lucky in the sense that the upper class was very helpful to the other classmates and that is very important.

If you need to talk so someone about helping you make your decision just send me a message and I will try to help all that I can.

I wish there was a forum like this when I went to dental school.

It is very helpful so I am here to help my future colleagues.;)

study girl

Study Girl
Jul 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
You are very lucky to have an amazing school in your state and to be accepted there. I would take the in state tuition in a heart beat. Money really does matter.

Rainee

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Go to the state/cheaper school. I don't think many people realize what its like to be 200,000k+ in debt, and or they don't pay the bills etc. You have bills, future wife (super expensive), potential kid (which is super expensive), buy/mortgage on house, buy house insurance, buy car insurance, buy a car, clothes, taxes, accessories, and on top of that a 200,000-300,000K debt that will eat you alive. Oh and wait! that 200,000k/300,000k loan comes with interest. LOL!

Money really does make a huge difference. I would love love love love love to be in a Texas school. :love::love::love::love: However, I'm not a texas resident. I can never understand why some people would turn down texas schools.:confused::confused::confused: I don't think they know the realization of how much debt you're in...once you're in debt. Ask all the 3-4th year medical/dental students. Once it hits them, it hits them hard.

Case in point: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=784799

Everyone comes out a Dentist in the end. It really doesn't matter prestige this or that, clinics this or that, blah this and that. Every dental school provides the grounds for success given that "YOU", the student, put time and effort into their facilities. You'll come out as competent as the amount of effort you put into it.

Last edited: