What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NE_Cornhusker1

12" Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats, 3.1 GPA, 27 MCAT (VR 7, PS 8, BS 12), and awesome extra-cirriculars. Do you guys think I should even put in app this year and "brag" about the 12. Should I go through it for the experince of applying?

Members don't see this ad.

DO perhaps...

Hi Cornhusker,

Personally, I would never, ever recommend going through AMCAS, secondaries, and buckets of money for the sake of the "experience of applying." The experience of applying is very long, very time consuming, very frustrating...and very expensive. It can be rewarding, absolutely it can, but why would you want to go through it only to repeat it a second time?

Having said that...it's fantastic that you do have the extra-curriculars, I know from first-hand experience that such activities will help you out. You can try DO programs right now, or if you really have your heart set on allopathic, you may want to try to take a few courses to raise that GPA and then maybe consider retaking the MCAT. I don't believe that "bragging" about the 12 will help you...yes, absolutely, that's an EXCELLENT score, but how can you elaborate on that? What more can you say? The verbal score might cause a bit of concern.

I hope that this was at least somewhat helpful...please let me know if I can help at all!

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, what exactly are "awesome extracurriculars" and "killer personal statements"?

So you got a 12 BS but a 3.1 GPA? I don't think you're testing relates to your GPA, so thats a BIG BAD SIGN to schools. Consistency is usually a good thing.

Originally posted by dustinspeer:
•So you got a 12 BS but a 3.1 GPA? I don't think you're testing relates to your GPA, so thats a BIG BAD SIGN to schools. Consistency is usually a good thing.•

so unless your GPA exactly correlates to your MCAT score (which very often does NOT happen), you're screwed? no, i disagree. a high MCAT can help to offset a weaker GPA because it shows that you knew your stuff after all, and it will especially look good if your GPA continually improves throughout college. and a lower MCAT with a high GPA can sometimes hint at grade inflation. the similarity between your GPA and your MCAT scores may be looked at, but i really don't think any correlation is scrutinized as deeply as you believe, dustinspeer. i've never known anyone whose GPA was an exact reflection of their MCAT scores; they're two different things.

that said, cornhusker, i think you should wait a year before applying. this is because it's already very late in the application cycle (can you even submit AMCAS apps anymore? usually the deadline was mid-october) and timing counts for a lot. it will *especially* make a difference for someone with borderline stats. you want to get your AMCAS app (and all your secondaries) in as soon as possible to ensure that A) the maximum number of open spots is there when you apply, and B) your app will get more chances to be reviewed.

you definitely do NOT want to go through this for the experience of applying. first of all, this process is NOT cheap. secondly, some schools limit the number of times you can apply, so don't 'waste' a chance now. as i mentioned above, it's very late in the app cycle right now to apply (if you even can anymore) and that is only going to hurt you, and you need every advantage you can get (that's not meant meanly).

also, don't 'brag' about the 12. how would you go about this, anyway? in your essays? interviews? your score on one section of the MCAT isn't going to be what gets you in, and it will look mighty desperate if all you have to sell yourself on is a 12. don't do it!

you don't say if you're still in college. if i were you, i would wait until next year to apply, and during this next year, i would retake the MCAT (shoot for 30+) and take more courses to up your GPA. do some interesting things too, activities-wise. don't be idle--use this year to improve your app! then, next year, i would get your AMCAS app in as SOON as they'll accept it, and return your secondaries ASAP too. once you start applying, timing is the one part of the process that you can control, and it can make a huge difference. there are people on this board who just now submitted their AMCAS and are waiting for it to be processed (which can take weeks before schools will even look at them), and there are people who applied in june/july and already have acceptances in hand. where would you rather be? you can definitely get into an allopathic school but you need to use this next year wisely.

hope this helps...

My point in the post was: Do you think a 27 is actually enough to offset a 3.1? I don't think its close enough at all.

If you're serious about going to medical school next year and you're not trying to go to a top medical school, I say go ahead and apply. Don't listen to the nay-sayers.

Don't apply. I applied this late last year with better stats and pretty good extra-curiculars and didn't get in. I had two interviews, but each were in the schools' last interview cycle. Both said that they "had reserved spaces for this last cycle", but I'm fairly certain that meant spaces on the waitlist unless any of us interviewing were incredibly competitive candidates. Don't waste the time, money, and hours spent stressed out about not hearing anything. Especially this year, the whole crappy process isn't worth it at this point. If you aren't confident about your stuff, do what it takes to make it better and apply later.
That said, if you really feel like you have a shot, apply to a couple schools and just pray for interviews. If you make it that far, personality counts for alot.