What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GabeMann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a Junior at the University of Illinois majoring in Animal Science. I first thought I wanted to be a veterinarian (my dad is), but decided last year that human medicine has so many advantages and that I just feel more passionate towards it, so I decided to change career paths. My GPA is 3.89, I volunteer a lot, im from central illinois, I'm in multiple clubs with multiple leadership positions, I'm in a social fraternity, I've shadowed (and will continue to do so), and I hope to get somewhere around a 30 for my MCAT. With all of that being said, do you think my major being animal science (a traditionally pre-vet major) will hinder my chances at getting into medical school? Also, would wash u, northwestern, Loyola, u of I, or Southern Illinois medical school all be worth applying to? I realize this question contains a couple hypotheticals, but I just want a ballparked answer and some minor closure - kinda stressing out here.

Members don't see this ad.

MSAR Online is your friend. Aim for schools whose median numbers are closest to you own. A 30 on the MCAT, for example, rules out WashU. Living in northern ILL rules out SIU. Apply wisely and strategically.

Hello all,

I'm a Junior at the University of Illinois majoring in Animal Science. I first thought I wanted to be a veterinarian (my dad is), but decided last year that human medicine has so many advantages and that I just feel more passionate towards it, so I decided to change career paths. My GPA is 3.89, I volunteer a lot, im from central illinois, I'm in multiple clubs with multiple leadership positions, I'm in a social fraternity, I've shadowed (and will continue to do so), and I hope to get somewhere around a 30 for my MCAT. With all of that being said, do you think my major being animal science (a traditionally pre-vet major) will hinder my chances at getting into medical school? Also, would wash u, northwestern, Loyola, u of I, or Southern Illinois medical school all be worth applying to? I realize this question contains a couple hypotheticals, but I just want a ballparked answer and some minor closure - kinda stressing out here.

I hope to get somewhere around a 30 for my MCAT.

Also, would wash u, northwestern, Loyola, u of I, or Southern Illinois medical school all be worth applying to?

Northwestern and WashU would throw an app w/ a 30 in the trash.

Also, ~75% of premeds score <30 on the MCAT.

Since you're from central Illinois, you're a good candidate for both SIU & UIC, as well as Rush, Loyola, and CCOM, with an MCAT of 30. An animal science major will not preclude normal consideration (assuming a good explanation if asked), but a lack of active clinical experience interacting with sick and injured folks will knock you out of the game no matter what your vet med exposure might be. Something like Humane Society volunteering would be totally relevant for nonmedical community service expectations though.

Do you have some research experience?

I started as prevet, too, and was never asked about the transition, BTW.