What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CognitiveNeuro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Education : University of Miami

3.31 cGPA
3.10 sGPA
33 MCAT
Was on the Dean's List first year (GPA like 3.95) - Don't know if that helps in any way. My GPA dropped heavily in the second year due to depression and my circumstances during that time.

Ethnicity
Pacific Islander with Native American Ancestry - can this help me? I'm not sure.

Research
5 Publications - Internal Medicine and Biochemistry

Extracurricular

College soccer team
Chess Club
Volunteering at Local Hospital
Worked at hospital and volunteered at several hospitals in the Caribbean.

Shadowing

Cardiologist
Internal Medicine
Over 50 hours each

Can I get in anywhere? Would ethnicity work to my advantage? Or should I go straight to Caribbean/Forget it altogether? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The number of folks who claim Native ancestry with no evidence of commitment to community is legion (I'm not saying this is you but you need to be aware).
Your stats are good for DO and if you are from a good state there is hope for some MD attention.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The number of folks who claim Native ancestry with no evidence of commitment to community is legion (I'm not saying this is you but you need to be aware).
Your stats are good for DO and if you are from a good state there is hope for some MD attention.

Thanks. Once I prove this, would it help in getting into an MD school?
I am a Florida resident. Also, what MD schools would you suggest?

GPAs are lethal for MD schools unless, as gyngyn points out, you live in a lucky stats. You're fine for any DO school.

Thanks for your advice. I am from Florida. Is that a good state?

Not lucky enough for you, alas. You're below the <10th %ile for all FL schools. Still, if any MD school will give you a chance, it will be one of those. I think you'll have vastly more luck with the two FL DO schools.

Thanks. Once I prove this, would it help in getting into an MD school?
I am a Florida resident. Also, what MD schools would you suggest?
It's both a matter of proof and evidence of identification and commitment to this community.

They've got 5 pubs, that's more than many Ph.D students (including me). You'd think a research-heavy school like Tulane might take an interest in this applicant, particularly since they have an MCAT above the national average of matriculants. The GPA is going to be the limiting factor here.

They've got 5 pubs, that's more than many Ph.D students (including me). You'd think a research-heavy school like Tulane might take an interest in this applicant, particularly since they have an MCAT above the national average of matriculants. The GPA is going to be the limiting factor here.
Yes, but that plummet in gpa can only mean so many things.
Schools like to see evidence that they are well under control.
If he makes a strong case that they are, odds go up.

Yes, but that plummet in gpa can only mean so many things.
Schools like to see evidence that they are well under control.
If he makes a strong case that they are, odds go up.

It was the second year that my GPA dropped heavily, from being on the Dean's List to 3.0. I went AWOL because of certain circumstances and didn't even take some of my finals resulting in Fs. Since then my GPA shot back up. I don't know if explaining this can help me?

It was the second year that my GPA dropped heavily, from being on the Dean's List to 3.0. I went AWOL because of certain circumstances and didn't even take some of my finals resulting in Fs. Since then my GPA shot back up. I don't know if explaining this can help me?
If there is no explanation we will presume one.
A sustained period of excellence will certainly help, but that gpa is still pretty weak.

Last edited by a moderator: