What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djd7101986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! How ya doing? I have posted on here I think one other time before but lurk around 24/7...(here is a little bit of background info to help my question;I am a biochem student at WCU and desire to go to med school,my grades are straight A's so far but I am only in my second semester :D I am taking all basic science courses along with Math ,English and Psych and I have Cystic Fibrosis ) Ok so I know it's early but I have already started MCAT prep and am making the moves toward (hoping to get in)med school and I have been thinking about interview stuff early and personal essays ect I know it is extremely premature to think about but I have read countless interview stories and there is the infamous "why do you want to become a doctor?" question and I have been thinking about it a lot lately and would like to mention that I have been in and around hospitals all my life due to having cystic fibrosis and am grateful for what doctors have done for me and for what they do and would like to give back in a way and also I think I might be able to offer a unique perspective to patients because I have been one. Is this something that I could say? Could being sick cause me problems?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! How ya doing? I have posted on here I think one other time before but lurk around 24/7...(here is a little bit of background info to help my question;I am a biochem student at WCU and desire to go to med school,my grades are straight A's so far but I am only in my second semester :D I am taking all basic science courses along with Math ,English and Psych and I have Cystic Fibrosis ) Ok so I know it's early but I have already started MCAT prep and am making the moves toward (hoping to get in)med school and I have been thinking about interview stuff early and personal essays ect I know it is extremely premature to think about but I have read countless interview stories and there is the infamous "why do you want to become a doctor?" question and I have been thinking about it a lot lately and would like to mention that I have been in and around hospitals all my life due to having cystic fibrosis and am grateful for what doctors have done for me and for what they do and would like to give back in a way and also I think I might be able to offer a unique perspective to patients because I have been one. Is this something that I could say? Could being sick cause me problems?

holy run-on sentence batman! (maybe you are ESL though, nvm)

Anyways, I think you are concerning yourself with too much stuff way too early. Your MCAT prep, interview prep, etc. will all be negligible by the time you are ready to apply in 2 years and have done some serious studying/prep.

As far as the question: "why do you want to be a doctor?", why don't you use the legitimate reason why you want to go to medical school?!

Hey just be honest! It seems like you are really interested so try to discover as much about medicine as possible via volunteering, research, etc. And if you still enjoy it then just apply. Gluck!