Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by iu2010, Jan 6, 2009.

1. iu2010

Pre-Medical
    I have always had an interest in medicine, but now I am for sure that this career is right for me! I am a Junior at IU, but I have a late start of the pre. med classes! Overall, my current GPA is a 3.2. My freshman year was very rocky, but I learned a great deal and post freshman year my GPA is 3.62. Additionally, last semester I received a 3.88 GPA, so as you can see my grades are constantly going up! I know that I have a lot of work ahead of me but I am ready to do whatever it takes. I have a history of shadowing (around 75 hours), I am involved with a service fraternity, and have worked as a pharmacy technician as well. Thinking into the future, I have a spreadsheet of my grades and if I put in A's for the rest of my classes, I could manage to get a 3.5 by the time next year roll's around. This means that my post freshman year GPA would be around a 3.8. I am worried about any chance of medical school, and I would like to get some input on options I have/things I could do to improve my chances! Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First, we need to know a MCAT score if you have one.

you need around a 3.6 GPA and a good MCAT to be competitive.

4. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    But a higher MCAT score can compensate for a slightly low GPA. The fact that you've shown a steep upward trend in grades is definitely in your favor. Meanwhile work on the other necessary components to a good application. Get a leadership experience, do community service. Get more clinical experience. If it's possible, try to get a research experience as well. Though this is not required, it can help you, especially if another component of the application is weaker (like GPA).

5. iu2010

Pre-Medical
    I haven't taken the MCAT as of yet due to my lack of preparation. As I mentioned within my post, I have not taken many of the pre. med. classes, but that will be changing with this upcoming semester/summer.