what do you want to do 10 years from now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjmirror

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in medicine? patient care, research, public health?

me: probably patient care, i like talking to people and i don't see myself doing research. plus my sis is already doing public health (so i will need to make some money to help support her :laugh: )

Members don't see this ad.

I'll just be finishing surgery residency in 10 years so I'll either be going overseas for mission work (if I don't have any debt) or doing trauma surgery in an inner city, and alot of outreach work in that city. Research isn't my thing either...its takes a special personality, which I don't have.

doctajay said:
I'll just be finishing surgery residency in 10 years .

Yeah - 10 years is too short a horizon on the pre-allo board. Anyone doing a longer residency, or perhaps a fellowship will still be in training. So most people's answers will likely be patient care.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe extend the question to 20 years? 10 years is too short for some people.

hopefully, have a family, adopt a kid & in residency

Funny you should ask this question, I was asked the same question in one of my interviews. Since I basically have no clue on what I want to do, I just blubbered some phrases about wanting to combine clinical, research, and academic medicine together, since they are all appealing to me. Sigh, I wish I could have a better answer than that.

4 years of medschool + 5 year of residency in orthopaedic surgery=
Either a fellowship in a specialty(peds or spine maybe) or out in practice for the 1st year