Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

What do you want to specialize in?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Muscles00GT, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Muscles00GT

2+ Year Member

Just wanted to see what everyone wants to specialize in? For me, I've always wanted to go into sports medicine.

2. CTrainSJU

CTrainSJU MS I
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Critical Care Medicine. Can't decide if I want to go the gas route or IM route however. I have heard pros and cons to both.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Penn Stater here too :) Did you enjoy State Patty's Day!?

Anyhoo, thinking neurology or pediatrics... or if I'm ambitious Pediatric Neurology :p Probably something nonsurgical with high amounts of patient contact. I could never be a radiologist...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. madscientist50

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am interested in Endocrinology or Oncology as of now, but I have heard most people change their minds on rotations, however I know several docs who went with one goal in mind and stuck to it as well, so who knows, but for either I would go IM as a resident and specialize from there on. Lately I have been reading about pediatric oncology which sounds very interesting as well.

5. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect

Resident [Any Field]
    Ped onc is a possibility for myself as well. Lots of losing battles with the deaths of children on your conscience...but worth it, imho.

6. rub1003

rub1003 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i am also thinking along the lines of peds. peds emergency or critical care going the peds route and doing a fellowship. not really sure yet but most likely peds.

7. ScootDoc

ScootDoc Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ORTHO!!! Although, I have always liked Cardio, plus, all my research is in cardio, but 7yrs residency for Interventional Cardiology. Whoa! maybe if they fast tracks Cardio someday. However, alltime funnest, most interesting field of medicine to me..........is definetely orthopedics!!:thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    Muscles00GT

2+ Year Member

haha yeah state patty's day was a blast. glad to see another penn state student on here :cool:

9. Rita

Pre-Medical
    I've always loved kids, so I believe i'll go into Pediatrics.

10. Rita

Pre-Medical
    :love: Yeah, yeah, Blazae....Blazae, it's all about UF, Gator Nation!Baby!!!LOL!

11. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know how it is everywhere else, but we REALLY need pediatric neurologists in upstate NY. It is really bad! There really aren't any. That would be a good field to go into. My father is a neurologist and for years I thought I wanted to go into neurology. I love neurology although it is very depressing at times when you have patients come in with Alzheimer's or Huntington's. But, events in the last few years have changed my mind and now I am 100% that I want to do rural FM. I know almost everyone on this site knows that by now, :rolleyes: but I just thought I would add to the thread.:D

12. Kuba

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    Em

13. Vix206

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    definitely peds. recently have been considering pediatric endocrinology.

14. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was thinking along the lines of an IM/Peds dual residency because I am genuinely interested in family practice and working at an outpatient primary care clinic and at a hospital. I don't like the standard 3 yr FP residency, however. I think IM/Peds is far more flexible, has greater inpatient care exposure, and offers more options for future endeavors. That's my guess anyway, based on my current set of experiences. IM/EM seems pretty cool, too, given that I enjoyed my EMT-B experiences and the joy of being able to be involved in making interventions that have more immediate results. It's tough to say what could happen, however. I'll let you know for sure after my rotations, when I've gathered more experience and have more clinical exposure.

15. DocOB

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    IM then a cool fellowship (though I don't know what yet; maybe CC or Onco)

16. Natatiap

Natatiap Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I want to do Pediatrics Emergency Medicine. I was told by the physician I shadowed that I may want to do a dual residency in FM/EM or IM/EM then Ped fellowship so I'll be more marektable and make a little more. Sounds like a lot. I heard a lot of students change their minds to so I"m open to change.

17. bravotwozero

bravotwozero Chronically ambitious
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Mostly IM subspecialties. Either of:

- Cardiology
    - Endocrinology
    - Sports Medicine

But as someone mentioned above, I don't believe I'll have a clearer picture of what I really want to do, until I go through rotations.

18. supersash

supersash so what's an epitope?
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm interested in EM and anesthesiology. i like the idea of change, and in emergency medicine, you never know what you're going to get that night. i also like anesth, because you can practice in many different fields, since all facets of surgery need someone to put their patients to sleep! :)

but i'm definitly open, those are just my choices right now.

19. Starphoenix

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Rural FM, like DoctorMom.

20. poormansDO

poormansDO *** member
    5+ Year Member

Internal Medicine all the way!

21. highballa33

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    EM.. but the burnout rate scares me.. Maybe Family med or an IM-fellowship

22. Lfribble

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a little torn, psych is what got me onto the med school path in the first place and I absolutely love it, as well as neurology, but I absolutely love kids, so I might want to do peds. Or maybe child psych...we'll see!

23. Mr_Doc

Mr_Doc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  24. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Woot!!! :clap: You can join my practice in Appalachia when you finish at DCOM!:D :thumbup:

25. OP
    OP
    Muscles00GT

2+ Year Member

nice variety we have here! :cool:

26. sasevan

sasevan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Psychiatry; maybe with a fellowship in psychosomatic medicine or in neuropsychiatry.

27. Pansit

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Orthopaedic Surgery or Emergency Med...both fields excite me.:thumbup:

28. Krazykritter

Krazykritter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll throw mine in here even though I haven't been a pre-med for awhile now...

Gen. Surg for me. Used to want Ortho, but don't really like how little medicine they practice (some brag about it) & absolutely love G. Surg cases.

29. fabu1ous

fabu1ous Wow, it is so clear...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Not sure if you have little ones, but having my 2 have absolutely made up my mind that peds is NOT for me-- yes, my daughter is a screamer (even to check her ears) and I pity her physician :D ... although I still love kids :love:

I am interested in perinatology or reproductive endocrinology/fertility medicine-- hey, I'll get'em made and born and refer them to you!!... now if I can just get off this waitlist :rolleyes:

30. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, ortho is my first interest as of now, but it is also what I have had a significant amount of exposure to, and what my mentor does. Honestly, I've been interested in every specialty that I've been exposed to!
    In the end, I will choose whatever I am really excited about doing, and whatever I am really good at (hopefully they will be one and the same!) :D and I suspect it will involve the OR....but I want to keep an open mind about it for now.

31. billydoc

billydoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

PM&R
    Neuropsychiatry or Psychoneurology (take your pick)
    Endocrinology

All will be used in conjunction with my Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine training. I'm treating many of these patients now as well, just want to expand my scope.

32. Mediocrates

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  33. nascardoc

nascardoc Daddy to 2 kiddos
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Leaning towards EM or Rads. Lord knows that I will probably change my mind numerous times during rotations.

34. I've changed my mind a million times already, but something with surgery. I really like chest and spine, but I really don't like general surgery very much, so probably ortho-->spine.

Not that anyone cares, but I'm officially pre-osteo now. Yay. I was going to go abroad for school, but I figured I've wanted to go DO for like 3-4 years now, so I might as well not settle. I'm probably going to apply either next year or the year after.

35. Jamers

Jamers Sexy Man
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I want to graduate, is it over yet?

36. Kateb4

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow, it has changed over the years, and I may change again...

In High school (long time ago) I wanted to be a peds neurosurgeon, don't think that is so realistic for me now. So, I'm currently leaning towards OB/Perinatology/RE, though I also may end up gen surgery. But then again, my Endo has a great practice, and the ENT makes great money with great hours. And plastics would just be fun I think.

But, I can say that after working in Ortho and Oncology for many years that those two are definately not for me!

37. Kuba

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    Man, a lot of people on here are going to have to kill both COMLEX and USMLE..

38. Packamylase

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have interests in a number of fields. These are the ones that I have considered most recently:

Pediatric Critcal Care
    Neonatalogy Critical Care
    Anesthesiology
    Sports Medicine
    Family Medicine

39. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ha...Dream killer :smuggrin:

40. Bill_252001

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Electrophyisology or Orthopedics.

41. Taty

Taty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Trauma or Transplant Surgery....:)

42. Taty

Taty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yea...but I am sure we all kill both allo and osteo boards :)!!!

43. Tiagao

Tiagao Member
    7+ Year Member

Not sure yet, but it'll be more of a hands-on specialty.

44. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Another vote for EM here.......man, why does everyone want to do EM all of a sudden?! Apparently only 6 allo EM spots went unfilled in this year's Match (26 Osteo)....Looks like I'm going to have to study like mad:(

45. jcs307

Other Health Professions Student
    OBGYN!

Am I the only one interested in OBGYN? It seems pretty hated (or maybe just the residents are!) on the boards.

46. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No, it's not that; the specialty isn't hated, and they are not hated by other doctors, I don't think. It's just that they get sued... a lot...

47. HarveyCushing

7+ Year Member

Just curious what a physician in electrophysiology would do? I walk by this department at the hospital I work at just about every day and have always wondered what goes on behind the doors. I know what an electrophysiologist does in the research relm, since I work for one, but what about the medical field?

48. HarveyCushing

7+ Year Member

I have been interested in neurosurgery since high school and wanted to sub-specialize in either skull-base or stereotactic/functional ns. Not sure if I really like the life-style though. So maybe end up with FM with sports.

49. dr.kicia

dr.kicia Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    first i wanted to do plastic surgery since i am very artistic-manual, but then i really would love to do sports or family medicine too (especially that it would be cool to use OMM which is absolutely fascinating and i think pretty manual too...maybe even artistic if you really look at it LOL).
    So either of these. I am also not excluding rads. But it is kinda a hard choice to make especially before you really try it. Observing is one thing but doing it yourself is another.
    And ofcourse as any woman in her late 20's i do not want to go into uber competetive field which will leave nada time for having a family:oops: I just want to choose something that i will love doing for some 40 years of my life without making my future husband miserable and whitout having my kids call "mama" on a babysitter. I will leave the choice of speciality till the time in med school. I first need to GET in:laugh: :scared:

50. NickRiviera

NickRiviera MS-Never
    2+ Year Member

Mostly ablations, IPG/ICD implants, and follow-ups