What do you want your medical director to know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polygonal

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am preparing a presentation for local medical directors. I was thinking of the top 10 things an EMT or Paramedic would like their EMS medical director to know. For disclosure, I am an EM resident and former (thought still registered) Paramedic, so this will be somewhat of a reflection from both sides.

Please give me some ideas!!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you looking for stuff like "I wish my director knew what it's like to be on the rig?" because that sentiment is getting more and more rare as there are more and more directors who came from EMS. For systems with old school directors there's a wealth of "I wish he knew what it's like to tube in the back of the rig or in a ditch." type gripes.

Other possibilities include:
-I wish he knew which docs are jerks on the command line and which nurses are a pain when we drop off.
-I wish he knew how bad the diversion policy is.
-I wish he know what it's like when "patient request" means a 40 minute transport.

Another area with lots of room for griping is the ever popular "I wish he knew what it's like to not have whatever prehospital modality we don't have."
Prehospital TPA, RSI, prehospital appendectomy, EMT jet packs, supernatural powers, etc.

Another area with lots of room for griping is the ever popular "I wish he knew what it's like to not have whatever prehospital modality we don't have."
Prehospital TPA, RSI, prehospital appendectomy, EMT jet packs, supernatural powers, etc.

:laugh: Don't forget the pre-hospital cath lab!

* Require someone to answer the phone when your trying to call in a pt report, if its not answered no crap from the nurses when you pull up.

* Which doctors try to find every reason possible on why you SHOULD NOT bring that pt to their trauma facility.... ( to agree on the diverson comment above)