Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What do you wish you had asked...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Mystique, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey MD students,

I'm applying to medical schools this year, and I was compiling my list of questions to ask (ie. curriculum, housing, professor availability, clinical experience, etc.). When you guys were interviewing at med schools, which question(s) do you WISH you had asked (thinking back)...

I look forward to reading your replies.

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Ask questions like what is the typical day of a first year? If I had class 8-5, I'd go crazy. It also seems that more and more schools are changing curriculum into more PBL, or systems based, or integrating basic sciences and or clinical... Ask if the school has been making curriculum changes and get their perspective if they have or have not. Also ask questions about the non-science classes like practice of medicine or medicine and society type courses. Like what they exactly entail, time...

If you are really interested in getting early clinical experience ask if they actually incorporate basic clinical training in the first two years. Alot of schools say that they have clinical opportunities, but they aren't integrated into the curriculum and probably aren't really structured. To my surprise I found out we would be having clinical exposure in the first year during orientation ;).

If you are interested in basic science or clinical research, you can try asking what percentage of the faculty has active NIH/NSF grants. Gives you an idea of the scope of research, the question may be viewed as annoying though.

Check out the previous years' residency match lists. Anything that catches your eye or programs of your interest, you can ask questions about. Looking at at least two match lists can give you a good idea.

Of course I thought of these questions after the interview, or just right now ;).

4. Neuro4All

Neuro4All Junior Member

If you get somebody that can answer it, ask if the class as a whole is cut-throat competitive or do they help each other out. I got pretty good results from asking that.

5. Mystique

Resident [Any Field]
    If you get somebody that can answer it, ask if the class as a whole is cut-throat competitive or do they help each other out. I got pretty good results from asking that.

Who should I direct that sort of question to...? That's a really good question!!!!

6. AceUF78

AceUF78 Membaaa....

Current students (M1 or M2s), or your student interviewer if you have one.

7. scrubs

scrubs Junior Member

Hi pendulum!

I agree with all of the above posts. Those are very important questions to ask. I am a resident now, but if I had to start again, some questions I would ask are:

1 - What is your USMLE pass rate (especially Step 1) and how do most students do on Steps 1 or 2?

It would be best to go to a school where the students are well prepared for the exams. I went to Loyola University - Chicago and we had a wonderful curriculum, such that we had a tremendous amount of studytime. My class was the last one to take the written USMLE step 1, and we were given 4-5 weeks off before the exam to study.

2 - What is the match rate for residency programs?

You would like to know how the most recent 4th year medical student class fared in the match. Did they get their first choices? What programs did they match in (all primary care or competitive surgical subspecialties)? Where did they match? (Did they all stay at the same hospital as their medical school, or did they match all over the country and at presitigious programs?)

3 - How much elective time do you get during your clinical years?

Do you have the time and the opportunity to decide what field of medicine you would like to pursue? Or will you be spending your time doing required clerkships all of the time?

4 - How do the 4th year students (or graduates of the school) feel about their education?

You might have to do a lot of investigation in finding the answers to these questions, but I think if you put a good effort into it, you will end up at the school about which you feel the most comfortable and confident.

I know it is tough to choose a medical school (and get in!), but keep in mind that medical school is a means to an end, and at the end you want to be sure that you secure a residency position in the field of your choice! ;)

I hope this helps - Best of luck!

8. Mystique

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for your answers everyone. The fact that some of you wrote your answers in the form of dissertations means a lot to me. ;) (Seriously)

It was great to get feedback from people who have been there and done that, and I appreciate it.

Hope you all have a great week!!!

:)