What do you wish you had done as a freshman (and what should I do)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sky1.3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year and I just finished my second quarter of college, having started a quarter early over the summer. My GPA is currently a 3.68 with 23 units so far. I know I can do better next quarter; I tried my best this quarter but I am learning how to study more efficiently and I can feel myself improving. I have been working with the campus composting program and I love it. I have met so many interesting people who care so much about different things. During the summer I went to some parties and made some friends, but since I got my job I haven't had much time to socialize, which is okay with me but which I know probably isn't terribly healthy in the long term. The thing is, I don't feel like I've gotten into the rhythm of college enough yet to add more activities without sacrificing my GPA. Is the amount that I am doing enough?
I am very privileged that my dad's close friend happens to be a doctor and is going to let me shadow him during my winter break. Is it possible to use breaks to get the hours needed for things like clinical experience and volunteer work? Will medical schools understand that because I am also working? I am really uncomfortable with debt and would like to get through with as little as possible, but getting into medical school is of course more important so if working isn't compatible with that I could take on more debt.
Also, I know it's supposed to be better to have a weird major but my current plan is to major in Bio or maybe Biochem because Chemistry is turning out to be much more interesting than I anticipated, and minor in Spanish Translational Studies. I also would really like to spend a year abroad in Mexico. I very much want to become fluent in Spanish because I think it would help me to be a better doctor and because a big reason I want to do this is to help the underserved. Also, the study abroad program there includes internships which would be relevant to medicine and costs less than a year at my school.

Members don't see this ad.

Things I wish I had done.

1. Not drop my physics major (that's just me).
2. Not take any summer courses my freshman year. Freshman summer is the only "true" summer vacation if you are going the traditional route and trying to have a strong application. I would've done something cool like do our school's study abroad in Oxford and read books all summer, or tried to do anything abroad. I did research and took a class that summer, not the worst but I should've used hat time to enjoy myself more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I wish I would have just taken a bunch of generals to ease into college. Instead I took a bunch of hard science and math classes that my 18 year old self wasn't ready for.

Take the easiest professors, start volunteering early, find out about SDN

Reactions: 1 users