What do you wish you had known before taking DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CherryBlossom1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you wish you had known before taking DAT?
It could be like you wish you had studied this section more, or manage time better, or anything about the computer program they use for DAT?
anything comment would be really helpful! thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Great question. I found my DAT experience just as I expected it to be.

The only thing that caught me off guard kinda were the rock keyholes on the PAT section. They were just extremely hard questions but there are practice questions now that will help acclimate you.

Also be prepared for the GRE comparison questions in QR. Apparently that is catching people off guard.

Reactions: 1 users
Great question. I found my DAT experience just as I expected it to be.

The only thing that caught me off guard kinda were the rock keyholes on the PAT section. They were just extremely hard questions but there are practice questions now that will help acclimate you.

Also be prepared for the GRE comparison questions in QR. Apparently that is catching people off guard.

Have you used DAT bootcamp for PAT? I"m wondering whether that would be enough source since that's the only thing I use to study for PAT section. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be hard to do with all the anxiety leading up to your test day, but try to get a good night's sleep before the exam. I didn't, and it kinda hurt my speed and reasoning with QR. A 5-hour exam is a marathon, so prepare well beforehand and don't psych yourself out too much.

thank you!!!

Yes, on the RC section, I could actually highlight the text at any point in time (not just on the initial screen where the passage shows up). Also I was able to use keypad for the calculator on the QR. Both were nice surprises.

Yes, on the RC section, I could actually highlight the text at any point in time (not just on the initial screen where the passage shows up). Also I was able to use keypad for the calculator on the QR. Both were nice surprises.

thx!! if you highlight the text after the initial screen, does that carry over to other pages as well??

thank for letting me know about the calculation! For some reason, it's hard to click on numbers and I don't want to waste those extra seconds on it

thx!! if you highlight the text after the initial screen, does that carry over to other pages as well??

thank for letting me know about the calculation! For some reason, it's hard to click on numbers and I don't want to waste those extra seconds on it

Yes, the highlighting did carry over for me.
Honestly for the QR anything helps! When do you take the DAT?

Just to swap out my sheets ASAP between the PAT and QR sections. I waited until I had run out of space to raise my hand, and it took the exam people a few minutes before they actually got around to changing my sheets.

Aside from that, I probably would have been less stressed out if I realized the DAT is a pretty basic test overall. You're almost guaranteed to do well as long as you put the time in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Have you used DAT bootcamp for PAT? I"m wondering whether that would be enough source since that's the only thing I use to study for PAT section. Thanks again!

Yes. Great resource. Would also suggest crack the dat PAT if you can afford it

Reactions: 1 user
Just to swap out my sheets ASAP between the PAT and QR sections. I waited until I had run out of space to raise my hand, and it took the exam people a few minutes before they actually got around to changing my sheets.

Aside from that, I probably would have been less stressed out if I realized the DAT is a pretty basic test overall. You're almost guaranteed to do well as long as you put the time in.

So we don't need to actually run out of space to get new sheets right? lets say if i run out of space on one page, i can change it right away? Thanks for your suggestion! I was worried too because my friend told me she raised her hand to get new scratch paper but nobody saw her hand at all :(

So we don't need to actually run out of space to get new sheets right? lets say if i run out of space on one page, i can change it right away? Thanks for your suggestion! I was worried too because my friend told me she raised her hand to get new scratch paper but nobody saw her hand at all :(

I think you can have it changed whenever (assuming you've used the sheet at all) - just make sure you raise your hand. Unfortunately there can be a lot of people taking different tests at the same as you (or the test administrators can just be preoccupied) so it's not uncommon for them to take a bit to notice your hand is up.

I think you can have it changed whenever (assuming you've used the sheet at all) - just make sure you raise your hand. Unfortunately there can be a lot of people taking different tests at the same as you (or the test administrators can just be preoccupied) so it's not uncommon for them to take a bit to notice your hand is up.

If i raise my hand and they see it, do you know if they'll assume that you'll need a new scratch paper automatically? Or they'll ask what you need first then get a new paper? Sorry if this might seem like a silly question but I'm just wondering if they'll hand you the scratch paper right away when they see the your hands up

If i raise my hand and they see it, do you know if they'll assume that you'll need a new scratch paper automatically? Or they'll ask what you need first then get a new paper? Sorry if this might seem like a silly question but I'm just wondering if they'll hand you the scratch paper right away when they see the your hands up

I think once I caught their eye I waved the laminated paper and they understood I needed it swapped. That way is a bit quicker than waiting for them to come in, ask you, go back to get fresh sheets, etc.

I think one big thing for me was to pace myself at a steady speed during the sections. I was nervous in the beginning and I tended to hurry thru questions.
Five minutes in, I slowed down a bit because I wanted to fully read the questions to make sure I didn't miss anything. Just make sure to practice pacing when taking your practice tests.

My first time taking the DAT (18AA/20TS) my biggest thing that I wish I would have known was simply how much time it would take to become proficient in taking the test itself and getting good at all the subjects in the scope of the test. I took on the DAT in the middle of many other extensive commitments and wasn't able to really prepare. The second time through I memorized Feralis notes front to back for bio (and add your own notes), did destroyer twice through for everything, and took every practice test available and got 21AA/23TS/22PAT so I wish I had known more about time management. If you put in the time and extensively use the great DAT resources out there you'll be fine

My first time taking the DAT (18AA/20TS) my biggest thing that I wish I would have known was simply how much time it would take to become proficient in taking the test itself and getting good at all the subjects in the scope of the test. I took on the DAT in the middle of many other extensive commitments and wasn't able to really prepare. The second time through I memorized Feralis notes front to back for bio (and add your own notes), did destroyer twice through for everything, and took every practice test available and got 21AA/23TS/22PAT so I wish I had known more about time management. If you put in the time and extensively use the great DAT resources out there you'll be fine

Also, finish the sciences with 20 or 25 minutes left so you can double check answers , get a drink, chill before PAT, whatever. I was extremely happy to have the extra time

Also, finish the sciences with 20 or 25 minutes left so you can double check answers , get a drink, chill before PAT, whatever. I was extremely happy to have the extra time

Oh they let you out of the exam room for a quick break if you finish early?
that's impressive that you finish that early!
thanks for your suggestion! :)

I think one big thing for me was to pace myself at a steady speed during the sections. I was nervous in the beginning and I tended to hurry thru questions.
Five minutes in, I slowed down a bit because I wanted to fully read the questions to make sure I didn't miss anything. Just make sure to practice pacing when taking your practice tests.

thank you!! I tend to rush through the questions when I get nervous too!

Oh they let you out of the exam room for a quick break if you finish early?
that's impressive that you finish that early!
thanks for your suggestion! :)
Haha thank you! It was definitely a lot of hard work to get there, but I think it was well worth it. Honestly the big thing is knowing two of the sections COLD lol. I could do Orgo and Bio in my sleep, so even though I took a little extra time with GC (and scored the worst on it with a 20) I was only averaging about 30 seconds per question the first time through. Then I had time to go back and look at all the questions I marked, THEN I went back and checked all my answers real quick and actually did find a mistake or two in the bio which I corrected so it was definitely beneficial!