Quantcast

MD & DO What do you wish you knew before starting med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromaticscale

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
That you will get busier and busier especially during M1-M3 and it's even worse during residency. M4 year is the best because it's like vacation year so you better take that time to travel or spend time with your friends or family.
Don't ignore your physical and mental wellness. I wish I had started seeing a therapist or psychiatrist before starting or during medical school because it can be very stressful. Don't think that you are abnormal if you are struggling academically or emotionally. Medicine is one of the most stressful careers to be in because of the bizarre intellectual and physical demands especially during residency. You need a regular wellness check. What is the point of working in a profession if you feel miserable? Talking to friends or therapists/psychiatrists who understand your situation will make you feel better.
Despite that, I enjoy working in medicine because it's rewarding and we have the privilege to save lives and learn about people's secrets while respecting their privacy. We need to speak up for ourselves as physicians. Unfortunately I feel that physicians are less respected than prior generations, and you need to realize that we have sacrificed a lot of our time and money to provide the best care for patients.

Reactions: 1 user

--Gem

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys think summer after M1 will change now that Step 1 is P/F?

catnip12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall I don’t think it’ll change much but at a more granular level there might be some interesting observations. There might be population that does research because of the unknowns of a p/f step. There might also be another population that decides to study less because Step is P/F. There might also be a population that studies more because “the best indicator of a good step 2 score is a good step 1 score” etc etc.

But med students are generally a very driven group of people and I don’t think P/F step is going to change their Summer plans much

Reactions: 1 user