What do you wish you knew before you started medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RT1126

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Anxious incoming first year student here and I was wondering if any of you seasoned medical school veterans had any advice you'd be willing to give/tips on what to expect, etc.. Essentially, what you wish someone had told you ahead of time. Also, in general, is medical school as intense and difficult as everyone makes it out to be?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait a few weeks and find out for yourself. Don't buy books, don't buy overpriced equipment, med school is tough.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There will be lots of studying, but you will adapt to the workload better than you even realize right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
Hey all!

Anxious incoming first year student here and I was wondering if any of you seasoned medical school veterans had any advice you'd be willing to give/tips on what to expect, etc.. Essentially, what you wish someone had told you ahead of time. Also, in general, is medical school as intense and difficult as everyone makes it out to be?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm just two years in so nothing major. but if I were to tell myself anything, it's that understanding is key, but memorizing everything they throw at you is also important. I had a low point in first year where I was tired of all the minutiae that was thrown at me and saw it as pointless. A lot of it comes back and you are expected to know a great deal of it for the board exams.

It's ok to be in the middle and be happy rather than kill yourself to be in the top few percent. If you aren't gunning for neurosurgery, being middle of the pack but healthy and happy because you leave some time for you is way better. I'd rather have real dinner and spend 30 minutes on a rowing machine exercising that spend that hour studying for 2 more test points. I'm still doing well, but not so well that there is major opportunity cost

Reactions: 5 users
Also, med school is actually LESS intense and time consuming than I anticipated. Everyone is on the same crazy schedule so you know when your friends have free time. Busy becomes normal and you settle In fast

Wish I knew that research had become an unofficial requirement for lots of things. Totally underestimated its important.

Reactions: 3 users
Recognition is more important than stone-cold memorization.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Your slides will have a ton of bullet points. There will also be many blue slides with yellow font (seriously).
  • Your classmates will tell you that they barely studied.
  • Anybody seems smart when they've prepared like hell for PBL/smaller team exercises. Don't freak.
  • Nursing students think you're dumb.
  • As others have said, seriously keep in mind that recognizing>>>stone cold reproduction of facts. You'll have to do that later, but with multiple exposures, it'll get into memory.
  • You'll learn stuff and forget it later- no sweat.
  • Lots of people don't actually understand what medical school is. They'll congratulate you on your journey to becoming a nurse, MA, etc.
  • This isn't undergrad, and nobody will fall over crying, screaming and dying if you don't attend lecture. If going to lecture doesn't help you, then stop going. Simple. No guilt. You're not the first, you won't be the last, and nobody's babysitting you. Your job is to learn. Nobody says how. Have some damn sense.
  • Shadow. If you're interested in a specialty, (or not sure), send out emails and shadow. Get to know doctors, residents, etc. You'll have more time M1 year than M2 year. Get involved in research. You never know if you want to do a competitive specialty. It's easier to prepare and not need it, than vice versa. That being said, you don't have to do research during your first year. If you like it, do it. If not, then don't.
  • Develop a strong sense of humor. That includes growing thick skin and learning to not be offended by everything and/or differing opinions.
  • It's intense- study. Get a good foundation. If anything, it's a good way to maintain higher spirits.
  • "Do pre-clinical grades matter?" Yes and No. Programs really don't look much at them. They like Step scores, LORs, clinical grades/evals, AI/Sub-Is, etc. That being said, though not the only factor, grades generally do factor in AOA, which absolutely can help you a lot.
  • Here comes the flame war. "Do I study from FA, or use other books?" If they help, and don't kill you, go wild. People will tell you to do it, as well as to not do it. In the end, you're gonna do what you're gonna do. If you want to study more, that's 100% your prerogative. Nobody knows you, and nobody should assume that it either will or won't help you. Anybody's guess is about as good a dog ****.
  • "Gunner" is misused now, and is used to denote somebody who studies a whole helluva lot, vs. the actual, original meaning of somebody who cuts others down to get ahead. Most of that, I believe, is just people being facetious, because it actually is funny to throw around. Guilty.
  • Don't talk or brag about your grades or study. Don't mention it. Almost nobody cares. The only ones who care will 1) hate you because they either did worse then you or are competing, or 2) feel better than you for...doing better than you.
  • Don't isolate yourself. Unless you've got Zika, Ebola, or insist on trying to make comparisons between basketball players of completely different eras.
  • Lots of married/seriously taken classmates. Like, damn, man.
  • Your slides will have a ton of bullet points. There will also be many blue slides with yellow font (seriously).

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 users
... That it's probably not going to be worth it and not enter medicine in the first place.

Reactions: 2 users
If you have a vast ego it will be beaten out of you, if not by your peers then the physicians you work with.

There is more to being a physician than simply knowing the diagnosis. Be a good person and treat EVERYONE well.

Reactions: 7 users
  • Your slides will have a ton of bullet points. There will also be many blue slides with yellow font (seriously.)
  • Your classmates will tell you that they barely studied.
  • Anybody seems smart when they've prepared like hell for PBL/smaller team exercises. Don't freak.
  • Nursing students think your dumb.
  • As others have said, seriously keep in mind that recognizing>>>stone cold reproduction of facts. You'll have to do that later, but with multiple exposures, it'll get into memory.
  • You'll learn stuff and forget it later- no sweat.
  • Lots of people don't actually understand what medical school is. They'll congratulate you on your journey to becoming a nurse, MA, etc.
  • This isn't undergrad, and nobody will fall over crying, screaming and dying if you don't attend lecture. If going to lecture doesn't help you, then stop going. Simple. No guilt. You're not the first, you won't be the last, and nobody's babysitting you. Your job is to learn. Nobody says how. Have some sense.
  • Shadow. If you're interested in a specialty, (or not sure), send out emails and shadow. Get to know doctors, residents, etc. you'll have more time M1 year than M2 year. Get involved in research. You never know if you want to do a competitive specialty. It's easier to prepare and not need it, than vice versa. That being said, you don't have to do research during your first year. If you like it, do it. If not, then don't.
  • Develop a strong sense of humor. That includes growing thick skin and learning to not be offended by everything and/or differing opinions.
  • It's intense- study. Get a good foundation. If anything, it's a good way to maintain higher spirits.
  • "Do grades matter?" Yes and No. Programs really don't look much at them. They like Step scores, LORs, clinical grades/evals, AI/Sub-Is, etc. That being said, though not the only factor, grades generally do factor in AOA, which absolutely can help you a lot.
  • Here comes the flame war. "Do I study from FA, or use other books?" If they help, and doesn't kill you, go wild. People will tell you to do it, as well as not do it. In the end, you're gonna do what you're gonna do. If you want to study more, that's 100% your prerogative. Nobody knows you, and nobody should assume that it either will or won't help you. Anybody's guess is about as good a dog ****.
  • "Gunner" is misused now, and is used to denote somebody who studies a whole helluva lot, vs the actual, original meaning of somebody who cuts others down to get ahead. Most of that, I believe, is just people being facetious, because it actually is funny to throw around. Guilty.
  • Don't talk or brag about your grades or study. Don't mention it. Almost nobody cares. The only ones who care will 1) hate you because they either did worse then you or are competing, or 2) feel better than you for...doing better than you.
  • Don't isolate yourself. Unless you've got Zika, Ebola, or insist on trying to make comparisons between basketballs players of completely different eras.
  • Lots of married/seriously taken classmates. Like, damn, man.
  • Your slides will have a ton of bullet points. There will also be many blue slides with yellow font (seriously.)

This is actually all anyone needs to know. Perfectly summed up :)

You'll be fine! Remember to enjoy the ride because it will go fast

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This **** is hard! Oh and step 1 is important so do your research now!

Befriend an M2 as soon as possible so you can actually get advice that's specific to your school - I lucked out and moved in with one that I already knew. It's been totally invaluable every step of the way, and not just because she bought all the recommended textbooks and lets me borrow them.

This is incredibly applicable. A good friend of mine was a third year when I joined and he has since saved me a lot of time from trying to neurotically figure out how my university works, especially vis-à-vis what textbooks to use, how to milk the life out of the teachers and how to tackle the exams. If you find a couple of upperclassmen and form a good bond with them, you're made.

GoodWillShunting makes very solid germane points as well. What you should take away from that, especially, is 'don't be a gunner'. Seriously. Don't do it. Don't try to push others down or undercut them, however subtle you think you're being. Everyone will see through it, you will gain a reputation, you will have no friends and ultimately you will not be in a positive work environment.

The people who teach lectures M1/2 may come back to teach you on the wards so be respectful in class. Some of this years MS1s were amazingly rude to one of the attendings the rest of us think is fantastic and you better believe she will remember that if she is working with them in 2 years because she is crafty like a fox.

Showing up on time and being nice is enough to pass most rotations, your actual skill gets you past that

If you have a vast ego it will be beaten out of you, if not by your peers then the physicians you work with.

There is more to being a physician than simply knowing the diagnosis. Be a good person and treat EVERYONE well.

3rd year - yeah knowing the dx is like 1% of the job

Only if you're gunning for a surgical sub-specialty or believe SDN is the gospel.
You make good points. According to Charting the Outcomes plenty of people matching in surgical subs without research. I think that SDN assume everyone wants to match at the best program possible and in the best location possible. Some people don't mind matching to a community program in the middle of nowhere as long as they can practice the specialty they want. I think there is a dearth of advice on SDN for those people. Expressing that opinion usually gets you dismissed as lazy or trying to take "shortcuts" to a competitive specialty.

I still think people should do research even if they are interested in less competitive fields because you may end up changing your mind to something competitive. At that point you'll want those IM or OBGYN pubs and they can't hurt your app. It shows you have research experience and can be productive. Just add on a few subspecialty pubs and you'll be golden.

Last edited:
You make good points. According to Charting the Outcomes plenty of people matching in surgical subs without research. I think that SDN assume everyone wants to match at the best program possible and in the best location possible. Some people don't mind matching to a community program in the middle of nowhere as long as they can practice the specialty they want. I think there is a dearth of advice on SDN for those people. Expressing that opinion usually gets you dismissed as lazy or trying to take "shortcuts".

I still think people should do research even if they are interested in less competitive fields because you may end up changing your mind to something competitive. At that point you'll want those IM or OBGYN pubs and they can't hurt your app. It shows you have research experience and can be productive. Just add on a few subspecialty pubs and you'll be golden.

You don't need pubs to match IM or ob although I will admit that it seemed like ob was a little rough this year. And publishing at all takes a decent amount of time and effort. It's hard to just "add on a few pubs", especially if you're trying to add something significant to medical knowledge.

The most important pearls to me, many of which have been hit on already:

-Expose yourself to as many fields as possible. If you only experience the core rotations and their subspecialties, you're doing yourself a disservice. Seeing a broad range of fields increases your chances of finding a great fit.

-Building relationships with as many classmates early on and creating a camaraderie among your class will go a long way to providing you with a support structure when s**t hits the fan.

-Being humble and personable will make up for a lot of other deficiencies once you hit your clinical years.

-Figure out what hobbies are most important to you. If you hit the gym 7 days a week, volunteered at the homeless shelter weekly, played 20 hours of video games a week, and went clubbing on the weekends before medical school, you're going to be in for a gut check. Medical school will take up most of your time. You won't have to give up all your interests, but you'll have to pick the ones most important to you and prioritize.

It's ok to be in the middle and be happy rather than kill yourself to be in the top few percent. If you aren't gunning for neurosurgery, being middle of the pack but healthy and happy because you leave some time for you is way better. I'd rather have real dinner and spend 30 minutes on a rowing machine exercising that spend that hour studying for 2 more test points. I'm still doing well, but not so well that there is major opportunity cost

I'd respectfully offer a different take - I used to think very much along these lines in medical school. However now being on the other side, I've realized that 3.5 short years of intense work can set you up for a perfectly balanced rest of your life, and can make sure no specialty's doors are closed to you. Many people don't figure out what they want to do until after their Step 1.

I'd respectfully offer a different take - I used to think very much along these lines in medical school. However now being on the other side, I've realized that 3.5 short years of intense work can set you up for a perfectly balanced rest of your life, and can make sure no specialty's doors are closed to you. Many people don't figure out what they want to do until after their Step 1.

I agree completely. This was my approach. Perhaps my time in medical school was a little less enjoyable than some of my colleagues who studied a little less and partied a little more, but now I am an attending in a field that offers a very balanced lifestyle - for the rest of my life. Well worth a difficult 3-4 years.

Meanwhile, some of my friends from Med school who preached the "work/life balance" philosophy are struggling mightily to find that now as a physician.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree completely. This was my approach. Perhaps my time in medical school was a little less enjoyable than some of my colleagues who studied a little less and partied a little more, but now I am an attending in a field that offers a very balanced lifestyle - for the rest of my life. Well worth a difficult 3-4 years.

Meanwhile, some of my friends from Med school who preached the "work/life balance" philosophy are struggling mightily to find that now as a physician.

I wasn't saying don't do the work. I crushed my goals for step 1 and step 2 ck and did well in clerkships thus far. However, our first 2 years were pass fail and I quickly found the amount of studying I could do to be at or above the class average and the amount I had to do to be in the top 5% and decided that I would much much rather have a life and be closer to the middle. But my interests were never in hyper competitive specialties. I was gonna do psych or peds from the get go.

The 3 big things I'd say (that should apply no matter where you go) are:

1. Take everything everyone says about how to study with a grain of salt. There is no one study method, resource, or routine that is best for everyone or horrible for everyone. Find what works for you and do what you have to do to succeed. I had essentially everyone tell me from the beginning that making my own flash cards would take too much of my time and I'd never get out of them the work I'd have to put it. I listened, despite flash cards getting me through content intensive courses before, then bombed my first exam. I switched to making my own cards again, which yes took a lot of time, but ended up being my saving grace. Once I started doing that, my test averages jumped way up and even my advisor was more or less speechless at my improvement using an approach that most fail miserably with. Classmates still tell me I'm crazy. But it works for me when everything else I tried didn't, so that's what I do.

2. Make sure you are actively learning when you study and not just passively reviewing; study smarter not longer. It's easy to think watching a lecture recording twice, doing an outline of the slides, and then reading your outline means you did multiple passes. Reading through material 2-4 times does NOT mean you absorbed, memorized, and understood the material; it just means you saw it 2-4 times. I learned that the hard way. If you can't explain a concept/process/disease completely or reasonably close to completely without any help, then you didn't learn it. I didn't even realize I was only skimming material until I took my first exam and five minutes in I was in a panic thinking, "oh ****...I don't know enough...I don't feel even somewhat confident about over half of these questions." My productivity easily tripled and life became way less stressful when I started making sure I was actively paying attention to what I was studying, and called it quits or took a solid break when I couldn't resist lapsing into passive reading mode.

3. Don't sacrifice sleep for studying and take breaks when you start to hit the wall. Self explanatory. You'll regret it if you do it, I promise. It's basic physiology, your brain needs time to process and store new info and that time is when you step away for a break and when you sleep. If you feel like you don't have enough time to get everything done and get 7-8 hours of shut-eye, then your study routine is inefficient/flawed and that's what needs to change, not the pre-programmed time asleep your DNA says you need to function optimally and stay healthy.

Good luck. Don't be afraid to have fun. You're living the dream a lot of people would kill for, just know that once in a while it will probably seem like a nightmare—you just gotta keep your head up and tell yourself it will be ok until it becomes ok, which it always does.

Reactions: 10 users
The 3 big things I'd say (that should apply no matter where you go) are:

1. Take everything everyone says about how to study with a grain of salt. There is no one study method, resource, or routine that is best for everyone or horrible for everyone. Find what works for you and do what you have to do to succeed. I had essentially everyone tell me from the beginning that making my own flash cards would take too much of my time and I'd never get out of them the work I'd have to put it. I listened, despite flash cards getting me through content intensive courses before, then bombed my first exam. I switched to making my own cards again, which yes took a lot of time, but ended up being my saving grace. Once I started doing that, my test averages jumped way up and even my advisor was more or less speechless at my improvement using an approach that most fail miserably with. Classmates still tell me I'm crazy. But it works for me when everything else I tried didn't, so that's what I do.

2. Make sure you are actively learning when you study and not just passively reviewing; study smarter not longer. It's easy to think watching a lecture recording twice, doing an outline of the slides, and then reading your outline means you did multiple passes. Reading through material 2-4 times does NOT mean you absorbed, memorized, and understood the material; it just means you saw it 2-4 times. I learned that the hard way. If you can't explain a concept/process/disease completely or reasonably close to completely without any help, then you didn't learn it. I didn't even realize I was only skimming material until I took my first exam and five minutes in I was in a panic thinking, "oh ****...I don't know enough...I don't feel even somewhat confident about over half of these questions." My productivity easily tripled and life became way less stressful when I started making sure I was actively paying attention to what I was studying, and called it quits or took a solid break when I couldn't resist lapsing into passive reading mode.

3. Don't sacrifice sleep for studying and take breaks when you start to hit the wall. Self explanatory. You'll regret it if you do it, I promise. It's basic physiology, your brain needs time to process and store new info and that time is when you step away for a break and when you sleep. If you feel like you don't have enough time to get everything done and get 7-8 hours of shut-eye, then your study routine is inefficient/flawed and that's what needs to change, not the pre-programmed time asleep your DNA says you need to function optimally and stay healthy.

Good luck. Don't be afraid to have fun. You're living the dream a lot of people would kill for, just know that once in a while it will probably seem like a nightmare—you just gotta keep your head up and tell yourself it will be ok until it becomes ok, which it always does.

This is great advice, all incoming M1s would be wise to listen.

Just as another perspective, though, the opposite of #2 worked for me. At the beginning I was doing 2 incredibly detailed pass throughs of the material, once after lecture and once before the exam (literally used all of my study time), and it just didn't work for me. I felt like I had a great understanding of the material but my recall for exams was awful.

I started going for max repetitions -- about 7 or 8 in total -- and I've scored much higher on my exams even though I feel like I actually know less.

This is great advice, all incoming M1s would be wise to listen.

Just as another perspective, though, the opposite of #2 worked for me. At the beginning I was doing 2 incredibly detailed pass throughs of the material, once after lecture and once before the exam (literally used all of my study time), and it just didn't work for me. I felt like I had a great understanding of the material but my recall for exams was awful.

I started going for max repetitions -- about 7 or 8 in total -- and I've scored much higher on my exams even though I feel like I actually know less.

I am very similar to you. I made hand written flash cards for every lecture and often had 500-700 per class and just went through them as many times as possible.

"What do you wish you knew before you started medical school?"

—The value of sleep.

Yeah some people already mentioned it above, but do not sacrifice your sleep for anything. There is no reason anyone should be getting less than 7-8 hours of sleep a night during first year (M2, so can't speak for second year haha), unless you're one of those people who needs less than that.
If you study efficiently and don't get behind, you can have a reasonable amount of time for yourself.

I would have headed to the counselor's office sooner and drank a helluva lot less

lol, who am I kidding, I would have drank just as much

but really, watch it

Thank you so much everyone! I finally got a chance to sit down and real read everything and the advice has been very helpful!

I'm not really considering any super competitive specialties as of now and I'm not big on research so I don't think I'll be making it a priority at first, but maybe later once I'm settled and comfortable.

The main gist I'm getting though is that self-care is incredibly important, which is something that I learned the very, very hard way during undergrad. I hope I'll be able to continue to remember that lesson during med school!

Enjoy setting your own schedule the first 2 years. Before you know it you'll be doing 30 hour shifts in the trauma center and you'll think why didn't I go snowboarding on a random wednesday or see a movie on a monday night.

Reactions: 4 users
Gosh, is it just me or is the Allo forum a lot more lively than back when I was starting. Lots of amazing advice on here.

Don't think that because you're "smart" you'll do well. Everyone is extremely intelligent, the only major difference (most of the time) is how much work people put in. Also, there's nothing wrong with being "average" during pre-clinical years unless you're shooting for something very competitive or want to match at MGH. Focus on learning the material and not grades, med school is probably the first time I've felt that what I was actually learning was more important than the letter going on my transcript, even if a lot of material won't be relevant to my field 10 years down the road.

-Figure out what hobbies are most important to you. If you hit the gym 7 days a week, volunteered at the homeless shelter weekly, played 20 hours of video games a week, and went clubbing on the weekends before medical school, you're going to be in for a gut check. Medical school will take up most of your time. You won't have to give up all your interests, but you'll have to pick the ones most important to you and prioritize.

My gut and I are now extremely nervous

I would have headed to the counselor's office sooner and drank a helluva lot less

but really, watch it
LOLS

Any study tools to use starting day 1 like annotating FA etc.??

Any study tools to use starting day 1 like annotating FA etc.??

Nah bro just go to class and take some notes. Study only with your notes until you know what the hell you're doing. Then MAYBE pull out FA the night before your first exam, but probably don't do this until at least the 2nd exam.

but really, watch it

Just toe the line between "making the pain go away" and "liver transplant" and you'll be fine.

Nah bro just go to class and take some notes. Study only with your notes until you know what the hell you're doing. Then MAYBE pull out FA the night before your first exam, but probably don't do this until at least the 2nd exam.

This might be a stupid question but what is FA?