What do you wish you would have known for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Fuzz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything that didn't come up in your MCAT prep, then popped up on the test? Not necessarily big concepts. More like, "Which of these hormones isn't produced in gorillas?", where you would be like "Damn, why did no one tell me to memorize which hormones are produced in gorillas".

Members don't see this ad.

I guess you are referring to discretes? No passage based question is going to be like that, and even if it sounds like it, the answer can be found from the passage. I recently took the MCAT and I think I had one discrete that felt a little out of left field. My advice would be to not worry about those "random" type of questions. They aren't nearly as common as you think and won't be deciding your fate on your exam

Is there anything that didn't come up in your MCAT prep, then popped up on the test? Not necessarily big concepts. More like, "Which of these hormones isn't produced in gorillas?", where you would be like "Damn, why did no one tell me to memorize which hormones are produced in gorillas".

There was one fact about a passage-based question I didn't know and wasn't in my prep books. I remember having learnt it in my classes, but could not remember it for the MCAT. However, it eventually struck me that I wasn't being expected to remember that fact--I was supposed to reason out the answer based on the passage information. I don't think the MCAT will really contain any knowledge-based questions that aren't covered in prep books (I used EK/PR and found the combination comprehensive). If you get such a minute question, its either a fluke, or more likely you're not reasoning it out like they want you to.

If you see something really really different, it's likely that it's an experimental question that doesnt count towards your score.