What do you wish you would have known going into vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's okay to skip class sometimes. Or most of the time.

To add to this, anyone who tells you that the bes/only way to learn is with your butt in a seat during lecture is full of it.
The opposite is also true. If you are the type of person who has to go to lecture, don't let anyone make you feel guilty for not skipping class. Do what is right and best for YOU. That's all that matters (also don't tell other people what is best for them.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
The opposite is also true. If you are the type of person who has to go to lecture, don't let anyone make you feel guilty for not skipping class. Do what is right and best for YOU. That's all that matters (also don't tell other people what is best for them.)

Clearly it is best to not go to class and watch the recorded lecture while standing on your head and sucking on a lemon. Any other way and you're doing it wrong......

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was highly concerned at 21 for that exact reason. That, paired with the fact that I didn't feel like I had grown enough personally. It was absurd for me to consider that debt and going into a career that I felt that I would be financially "stuck" in at such a young age when I didn't have any worldly experience (particularly having a poor family). I decided to become a teacher and try something I would still enjoy and revisit the idea. Every year I taught I thoroughly loved, however, there was always something missing. After 5 years, I decided that vet med was still what I wanted to do but now I had a better grasp of what the financial burden meant. I also am absolutely and completely more confident in myself as a person due to my experiences outside of being a student, particularly being a teacher and responsible for 120 teenage boys each year. Going into school this year I feel older, yes, but I have no regrets whatsoever. The memories and relationships I have established are what will get me through vet school to the actual goal. There is nothing wrong with exploring what you like and don't like before committing to vet med. For me, the pressure always felt like "Go. Apply now. Do it now before it's too late. You'll get behind!" Instead, I have felt that taking a different career first has proven to me that I've been right where I am confident that I will be successful. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G920T using SDN mobile

I'm relieved to see someone describe a situation of my own.

Reactions: 1 user
would be very surprised if Penn lets you graduate with only one spay completed.

I can’t vouch for Penn, at OKState we have a very active feline TNR program in which students that have completed Junior Surgery (end of third years/ all fourth years) can be the primary surgeon. Non-surgeons do anesthesia, surgery tech, pain control, physical exams, vaccinations, etc. It’s super helpful, and the surgeons I’ve talked to really enjoy getting more practice on high quality, high quantity castrations. So that’s definitely an opportunity if you’re wanting to better yourself, if Penn has something similar

@staff_wielder I'm pretty sure this was already answered, but just in case: I think its *technically* possible to graduate from Penn with only one spay completed, since thats the only surgery required but you have tons of opportunities for surgeries while at penn.

There is a surgical opportunities elective that you can take starting your first year where you will be able to start doing cat neuters in the 2nd semester of your first year and work your way up to spays and neuters of both cats and dogs. This class is at your own pace and basically you can get a ton of surgeries under your belt even before starting clinics if you want to, or just a few. On top of this, once you get to clinical rotations there are a bunch of surgery focused rotations you can take (both with large and small animals). I'm sure there are lab animal rotations/externships as well, although I know less about this.

Does this happen? Guilt-tripping people for GOING to class seems like such a weird concept.

Does this happen? Guilt-tripping people for GOING to class seems like such a weird concept.
I got this guilt trip quite a bit in undergrad. I learn best in a classroom. I hardly ever skipped class (until senior year when I got ill and then proceeded to burn out) and people kinda looked at me sideways when I told them I hadn't skipped class more than a handful of times.

For context, though, my undergrad was full of a lot of privileged, judgmental wealthy students, so that dynamic might be different in vet school bc everyone comes out broke lol

It definitely happened in my class. Some people also like to imply they are superior because they don't go to class or because they always go to class. Ijust do what's best for me, and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

I'm a class-goer and I was regularly 'informed' (;)) that our lectures aren't helpful so there's no point in attending. I have also been made to feel like I'm not smart enough if I can't learn the material at home on my own time.

Personally, even in undergrad, I never intentionally skipped class for the sake of staying home. I think I missed class a handful of times during vet school and it was usually because I overslept (and I showed up for the 2nd class of the day) or I had wildlife clinic stuff going on. Hell, I paid for it, might as well use it.

I think some people handle their frustrations differently. While I get being frustrated with lectures and whatnot (especially now that I'm on clinics, since I am experiencing how much material is truly missing from our didactic curriculum), some people have a weird way of handling things they feel guilty about, such as skipping class. They get self conscious about someone putting in more 'effort' and then project that self doubt onto another person. I see this happening so often in vet med that it's ridiculous. I've become very aware of that recently now that we're all on clinics and it's a shame.

Reactions: 7 users
I was a pretty big class-skipper, especially as things wore into third year and we were all getting burnt out. I think people forget that as a student, you're the one paying money for your education so you should be free to decide for yourself how you best learn.

Reactions: 7 users
Yup when people bring up "You're paying to be here!" I always say "I'm paying for the education, not to have my ass in a seat for 8 hours a day"
I know people who learn better being in class, I know people who learn better watching the lectures on their own time and at their own pace. Stupid to make either group feel guilty for doing what works for them.

Incidentally I'm usually in class, but not paying particular attention anyway :p

Reactions: 3 users
We have such a small class (33 students) that the guilt about not being in class is real. Especially since the profs know all of us, and with such a small class they can SEE who is missing. So not only do you get it from your classmates, you also have the added guilt of "the prof probably knows I'm skipping". Personally even when I'm in class I'm often not paying rapt attention, so I may as well not be there, lol.

I should note that we don't have recorded lectures at all, which also contributes to the "you need to be in class" mentality.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a pretty big class-skipper, especially as things wore into third year and we were all getting burnt out. I think people forget that as a student, you're the one paying money for your education so you should be free to decide for yourself how you best learn.
Completely agree. For my class at least, we have a lot of strong personalities that can make things harder than they have to be (both for faculty and student peers) just for the sake of their opinions being heard and them getting their way with things. At least you're not stuck in the same room with all of the said personalities on clinics...usually. It doesn't bother me in the least bit that people don't show up to class (other than my seat neighbor, I got lonely in the last few rows lol). If my (or your) decision has no effect on someone else, it doesn't flipping matter.

Side story, but one of the extremely rare times I skipped class (I had a 5am start at school that day and it was a 2-3pm class...), the clinician actually called me out in front of a class of 125. She was joking, but it was still a little mortifying when a zoo med professor you need to like you notices that you're not there.

Incidentally I'm usually in class, but not paying particular attention anyway :p

Me starting in 3.5 weeks. We'll have clicker questions that are unannounced, so have to be there. :yeahright:

Cruising the back row with my headphones on and quizlet on my computer screen.

She was joking, but it was still a little mortifying when a zoo med professor you need to like you notices that you're not there.

The prof callouts get savage sometimes.....

The prof callouts get savage sometimes.....

We had a professor that would use a mix of clicker questions to be sure everyone was present and he would pass a microphone around the lecture room. When he decided he had a question, whoever was unlucky enough to have the microphone at that time would get called out to answer his question. I seriously considered sitting on the floor in the small hallway to the back exit doors just so I wouldn't get the microphone but the clicker would still work to show I was present.

Hmm. I wonder if my clicker would work from the adjacent classroom.....

If anyone uses tophat, it works from home, too :whistle:

it does, but they can make it so that the questions are only present in the classroom... I had a business class that was worthless. It was annoying as heck I couldn't just skip.
For the most part all our top hat questions are for participation points (though still like 5-10% of your grade), so even if you get it wrong, you’re golden. Not that I have ever done that... :p

Yes, Penn does work with two shelters now, but they changed the program a bit and it’s harder to get hours there now.

Yeah. Unfortunately, it's down to only one shelter now, and it's very difficult to get hours unless you stay over the summer, which is something I haven't been able to do. The online sign up is first come, first served, and the only time I was ever able to get a spot, the whole thing was canceled because it was the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Experienced people can basically email them and go whenever they want, so there are students who have completed all of the requirements and keep taking up spots for more experience while other people get locked out.

Biggest regret of my entire time at school was signing up for that class since I don't know if I'm going to be able to complete it before end of core, and even then, I'll have only done a cat neuter. Honestly, my advice to incoming first years would be to avoid this class unless you know for sure you can stay in the city over the summer and have a chance at actually doing enough shifts to complete it. They have over 250 students enrolled, and only a handful of spots each week with no system to make sure students can get in to meet the requirements. Until it's overhauled, it's like rolling dice as to whether you'll get your foot in the door and go enough times to count as "experienced," giving you the freedom to keep going almost whenever you want.

As for the junior spay, we're now down to 4 people with 2 dogs, so we get to do half a spay. The curriculum really is lacking in this area, and I wish I had known that before I came here. I can't afford to do fancy international trips and just had to back out of a domestic one for financial and family/medical reasons, so it's really frustrating, especially since I'm likely to end up going into GP.

Yeah. Unfortunately, it's down to only one shelter now, and it's very difficult to get hours unless you stay over the summer, which is something I haven't been able to do. The online sign up is first come, first served, and the only time I was ever able to get a spot, the whole thing was canceled because it was the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Experienced people can basically email them and go whenever they want, so there are students who have completed all of the requirements and keep taking up spots for more experience while other people get locked out.

Biggest regret of my entire time at school was signing up for that class since I don't know if I'm going to be able to complete it before end of core, and even then, I'll have only done a cat neuter. Honestly, my advice to incoming first years would be to avoid this class unless you know for sure you can stay in the city over the summer and have a chance at actually doing enough shifts to complete it. They have over 250 students enrolled, and only a handful of spots each week with no system to make sure students can get in to meet the requirements. Until it's overhauled, it's like rolling dice as to whether you'll get your foot in the door and go enough times to count as "experienced," giving you the freedom to keep going almost whenever you want.

As for the junior spay, we're now down to 4 people with 2 dogs, so we get to do half a spay. The curriculum really is lacking in this area, and I wish I had known that before I came here. I can't afford to do fancy international trips and just had to back out of a domestic one for financial and family/medical reasons, so it's really frustrating, especially since I'm likely to end up going into GP.
If you take primary care during 4th year, you will get to do some spays then as well, and likely a few neuters. If you are concerned about getting the hours in for the class prior to end of core, feel free to pm me. Maybe I can give you some advice there.

At all apparently. I asked like 3 different ways because I didn't believe it. Now if when I graduate and my employer requires it that's a different story.
Hmmm. Maybe it's not an issue in the area where your school is?

Mine had a neurologic horse come in several years back that a lot of students were exposed to (shadowing and emergency team stuff and all that). Back then only the 4th years were required to be vaccinated. Turned out the horse had rabies...so yeah, now everybody has to be vaccinated.

Mine had a neurologic horse come in several years back that a lot of students were exposed to (shadowing and emergency team stuff and all that). Back then only the 4th years were required to be vaccinated. Turned out the horse had rabies...so yeah, now everybody has to be vaccinated.
Yeah I'm told and data shows its not much of an issue up there but I'm surprised they don't make at least 4th years be vaccinated considering rotations etc

At all apparently. I asked like 3 different ways because I didn't believe it. Now if when I graduate and my employer requires it that's a different story.

We do send things out for rabies testing somewhat frequently though. Only students who are vaccinated get to help with those necropsies, and there are usually only one or two students per rotation who have gotten the vaccine. None of the cases I've seen have come back positive, but it is a possibility.

It's crazy that not only do some schools not require the rabies vaccine, but that they don't even cover it :( Our school covered ours, for every student. It's one of the first things that happens in first year... welcome to vet school :laugh:

It's crazy that not only do some schools not require the rabies vaccine, but that they don't even cover it :( Our school covered ours, for every student. It's one of the first things that happens in first year... welcome to vet school :laugh:
Well, you're in Canada, right? ;)

You do get a discount on it here if you have the school's health insurance and get the vaccine done on campus. But that's as close as they get to covering it.

Well, you're in Canada, right? ;)

You do get a discount on it here if you have the school's health insurance and get the vaccine done on campus. But that's as close as they get to covering it.

RVC doesn't require the rabies vaccine, but if you need it for any of your externships outside of the UK they will reimburse you for the cost. Plus it's relatively cheap to get the vaccine over here. Anyone can get it at a travel clinic in England for about £55 per shot (about $72 right now).

RVC doesn't require the rabies vaccine, but if you need it for any of your externships outside of the UK they will reimburse you for the cost. Plus it's relatively cheap to get the vaccine over here. Anyone can get it at a travel clinic in England for about £55 per shot (about $72 right now).
I suppose I should have said "You're in not-USA" :p
My point was I don't know of any US schools that completely cover the vaccine, and certainly not for all students. Just another thing to add onto the stupid high tuition costs.

My point was I don't know of any US schools that completely cover the vaccine, and certainly not for all students. Just another thing to add onto the stupid high tuition costs.
I have the school insurance which completely covers the rabies series but I wish most insurances would cover it as a job requirement!

Reactions: 3 users
I have the school insurance which completely covers the rabies series but I wish most insurances would cover it as a job requirement!
Yeah that's the trend I've seen is you can get it covered/discounted if you're on the school insurance. I'm just lucky enough I was still under Tricare when I got mine, and got it done on base, so it was fully covered. I miss military insurance lol relatively cheap and covered pretty much everything

My rabies vaccinations were required to volunteer in Cornell’s Wildlife Clinic. Thankfully my parents let me use their FSA card for it, otherwise I would’ve had to find 1k to gain that experience.

I was so frustrated talking to my insurance about it, I almost screamed at the lady "should I go tussle with a coyote then?! Will you cover it then?!?!"

My schools insurance completely covered mine. It's super weird to me to think that insurance that is provided via a vet school would not cover something required by the vet school.

Actually I take that back, its mind-boggling to think that any insurance company wouldn't cover pre-exposure rabies to those in high risk professions (like vets).

It's not covered by the school, it's covered under our universal healthcare. It's free for all veterinary professionals - that's how I got mine before vet school because my clinic made sure even assistants got it.

Yeah that's the trend I've seen is you can get it covered/discounted if you're on the school insurance. I'm just lucky enough I was still under Tricare when I got mine, and got it done on base, so it was fully covered. I miss military insurance lol relatively cheap and covered pretty much everything
This is totaaallyyy dependent on your base. I had tricare and they would not cover it. Petitioned and everything. Ended up paying out of pocket.

This is totaaallyyy dependent on your base. I had tricare and they would not cover it. Petitioned and everything. Ended up paying out of pocket.
Really? That sucks. They were just like "Oh it's for school, that's chill, here ya go," I barely had to do anything.
So I suppose, as with all things, YMMV

It's not covered by the school, it's covered under our universal healthcare. It's free for all veterinary professionals - that's how I got mine before vet school because my clinic made sure even assistants got it.
??
I think that might be an Alberta thing, but that is very awesome and it was great of your clinic to make sure everyone had it done. When I inquired here about it the cost was $600. In Sask the vaccine isn't covered under universal either; we have the pay $150 and the university/vet college cover the rest.

??
I think that might be an Alberta thing, but that is very awesome and it was great of your clinic to make sure everyone had it done. When I inquired here about it the cost was $600. In Sask the vaccine isn't covered under universal either; we have the pay $150 and the university/vet college cover the rest.
In that case *alberta universal healthcare. Yeah, my employer just had to call the public health nurse and they set us up in a rabies clinic to have it done no charge. I assumed it was Canada wide because otherwise alberta health care is usually lower coverage than most provinces. But apparently we care about rabies hahah

Oh didn't know it was free for vet professionals... I swear I heard somewhere that the school was paying for them. Same difference haha

My schools insurance completely covered mine. It's super weird to me to think that insurance that is provided via a vet school would not cover something required by the vet school.

Actually I take that back, its mind-boggling to think that any insurance company wouldn't cover pre-exposure rabies to those in high risk professions (like vets).
School insurance here isn't provided via the vet school, it's provided via main campus. I dunno how it all works out but I think the co-pay ends up being like $25 per shot, so still a huge discount. But then again the school insurance is also a lot more expensive than, for instance, the insurance my husband gets through his job. Someone who is better with numbers could probably figure out whether the rabies discount is worth the extra cost lol

School insurance here isn't provided via the vet school, it's provided via main campus. I dunno how it all works out but I think the co-pay ends up being like $25 per shot, so still a huge discount. But then again the school insurance is also a lot more expensive than, for instance, the insurance my husband gets through his job. Someone who is better with numbers could probably figure out whether the rabies discount is worth the extra cost lol
Well, is the insurance an extra ~$825 for the year or nah? :laugh: