What do your residencies give you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

im4real

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

My husband, R2, just told me this week that his residency program is giving all the residents new handheld palms this year. Well, how exciting is that? I just wondered what other residency programs give? He didn't get anything new last year, so I was very surprised by this news.

Christy
Wife to FamMed R2

Members don't see this ad.

My internship program has given us absolutely nothing. We do get free meals though. I know that at some programs meals are only free if you are on call that day.

I'm told that here, the Surgery Department is the only one that DOESN'T give their residents PDAs. We've received some texts but those were free from drug reps. We do get meals on call, 4 lab coats a year, $250 a year for books and free parking but that's about it for the benefits. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Stinky Tofu & Kimberli,

Thanks for replying. When my husband applied here, we were excited that residents were given free meals any time they were in the hospital. I often wonder how they can afford that. Hmmm :/ That was a perk for us in that my husband's health relies heavily on been fed. He's diabetic. I like that he is able to eat at the hospital for free! Oh, and we like it that he gets 100% prescription coverage provided he uses the hospital pharmacy. It's nice to know if he needs insulin that he can get it on his way leaving from work! These were two of our incentives to come here!

Christy

Wow. I'm jealous. My program only gives me 2 lab coats and free meals only when I'm on call at one of the program's hospitals.... :(
PDAs hah, book allowance hah, sleep hah hah hah!

Wow. I'm jealous. My program only gives me 2 lab coats and free meals only when I'm on call at one of the program's hospitals.... :(
PDAs hah, book allowance hah, sleep hah hah hah!

I was just talking about internship before. My residency program gives us nearly $1000 to spend on books, if I remember correctly. Also, any conferences we decide to attend will also be paid for if we do a presentation. They also setup a rotation in Hawaii. A two bedroom condo and a rental car is provided for two months. Most of the residents opt to do this elective. I wonder why? ;)

I had assumed we were only talking about "extras" in my earlier response. We also get great medical/dental/vision benefits, money for conferences as a senior and a fair bit of wining and dining by the drug reps (one of the seniors coerced one of the reps to buy him a PDA). Didn't want to make it sound like we got bupkiss! :D

We didn't get dental :oops: but we got $1500 CME money that could be used to buy journals...We were also told by the residency director that my husband would be allowed to moonlight...and that turned out to be a little white lie :oops:........

But hold on guys, it does get better...my husband just finished the whole residency thing and now the hospital group that he works with has a doctor's lounge stocked (free)with all of the soft drinks, juices and milk you can drink and they serve free meals throughout the day in there...waffles, sandwiches...etc, etc.....

Kristen

I'm sooo jealous! All i get from my program is 2 lab coats, and half my ATLS paid for. No meals, no books, no computers no PDAs. The salary sucks too!

We get $750 bucks the first year for books or PDA. More later years. $30 dollars for meals a month. Lab coats and scrubs are free.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox:
•I had assumed we were only talking about "extras" in my earlier response. We also get great medical/dental/vision benefits, money for conferences as a senior and a fair bit of wining and dining by the drug reps (one of the seniors coerced one of the reps to buy him a PDA). Didn't want to make it sound like we got bupkiss! :D

Hi Kimberli!

Yes, my original question was for the extras we were getting to the already preposed benefits. :) Yet, I am glad that you are telling me about your benefits you get in general. I am so proud to be here at this residency program. They treat their residents well here which means so much to me! And the Family Medicine residents are the only residents here so they get to see a variety of medical procedures and diagnoses. My husband likes that aspect of it as well. You can see our program if you would like here:
http://www.washingtonhospital.org

I believe that's right. If not, I'll edit it.

Christy

We get a free PDA Visor Platnium (or $180 if you already have a PDA), $1200 in educational allowance/year, free meals, lab coats, free covered parking... and free text books (although text books are from drug reps)...
Our IM, IM/Peds, Peds, and Fam med residents get all these plus $10,000 signing bonus in their first year. :eek:

how can they afford that????...more like how can they not afford that.....I mean you're a 30-40k/year physician...short of paying for your moms total hip I really dont think they can go too wrong with little perks