What do your user name and avatar mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yvan eht nioj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering this about quite a few people, so let's start a thread to find out.

I'll go first. My user name is obviously from the Simpsons....that episode where Bart joins a boy band, the Party Posse. No relation to medicine. And no avatar yet, although if anyone has good suggestions...

Members don't see this ad.

Females Can't Drive. My avatar is of a female (who by definition can't drive) is being punished for her lack of skill behind the wheel with a ticket.

username stands for Dr. O'Brien, NOT Obstetrics for God's sake. The avatar has no significance to me besides the fact that I think it looks cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason I was thinking of Mr. Orange:

reservoir-dogs-4.jpg

It's interesting that a third of the names in pre-allo are ____MD or ____doc or Dr____.

I'm a fan of Scrubs. Keith Dudemeister is Blonde Doctor's booty call boyfriend. I love Blonde Doctor.

Keith_dudemeister.JPG

Jay-Z is top 5 dead or alive. Or atleast he used to be...

a bastardization of my real name...
(I really need to jump at the next "change your username" thread)

and my avatar is a reminder that if a loser like Landon Donovan can continue to humiliate your national team, it's probably time to just give up your national sport and take up bocce or something.

My first name, my love of the irish, and my favorite number.

I am an Irish-American white male, but I take Mandarin Chinese and my Chinese name is "Mo Jie" - so I am "moj":p

My name encapsulates the type of doctor I aspire to become.

Members don't see this ad :)
My initials are SS. My high school physics teacher wrote "Ssquared" in my textbook instead of my real name....and it stuck.

And the avatar? It's a painting done by George Rodrigue, a Cajun artist who is most famous for his blue dog paintings. He's done a lot to help raise money and awareness for New Orleans after Katrina. (I used to have a rubber ducky but the painting's got a bit more social significance than a plastic toy)

First initial, middle name, & day I was born in July. And I have a tiny dragon fly tattoo on my foot ;)

Well I used to have a different name that had a much better meaning. That said...

I just thought that "Critical Mass" sent a powerful sort of message and sounded cool. I first heard about somebody who called himself "Critical Mass" on a Sir Mix-A-Lot CD in the song "Testarossa." Mix-A-Lot refers to "Critical Mass" as his personal trainer, obviously a bulky guy to be feared.

My previous avatar was a picture of a hydrogen bomb exploding, but this avatar draws more attention. :D Even the core of the H-bond needs a critical mass to trigger the thermonulcear fusion process, "critical mass" more accurately describes either the atomic trigger or an atomic weapon itself rather than a hydrogen device (which has been the common form of nuclear weaponry in the industrialized world post WWII).

After I started posting, I realized that there is another interpretation; namely that my posts may represent a mass of opinions that are critical. I'm all about symbolism. The choice of one's name is not something to be taken lightly!

I was feeling especially uncreative the day i created this account, so my username is my school e-mail address. My avatar is homage to the best conveniance store ever, Wawa. If you haven't tasted Wawa coffee, you haven't lived (and it's cheap too!). Oh and if you've ever been to southern NJ, you know Wawa because we literally have one on every corner. What am I going to do in Wawa free NYC next year? Convert to Starbucks? :scared:

First initial, middle name, & day I was born in July. And I have a tiny dragon fly tattoo on my foot ;)

nmarie reminds me of Namarie ... which I believe is Elven for Goodbye :)

Needless to say, I'm a LOTR fan, which explains my avatar. Arwen's expression is priceless ... it also implies that I'm crying pretty badly inside b/c of that failed login with HMS, sigh.

My nickname was given to me back in high school by a dear friend. She even took time out of her busy law school schedule to read over my AMCAS essays, so this is in her honour :)

The username is a joke between my boyfriend and I. It seems like what I see as comfy jammies are really sexy lingerie...who knew???
Meanwhile, my avatar is in dedication to my overwhelming addiction and my constant need for delicious caffeinated refreshment (its a caffeine molecule) :D

Hednej is the reverse of "bitch" in Persian.

My avatar looks pretty close to my beloved but now long dead troll in WoW.

Mine is from Shakespeare. Hamlet is talking to his mom, the queen, describing his slain father. "An eye like mars, to threaten or command"
I don't know why I chose it because that's certainly not me. I just thought it was badass...plus this Hamlet rant was quoted in a Slaves on Dope song.

the map from Dora the Explorer

big_map.gif

the avatar is the Terrible Terry Tate #56, office linebacker.

My username was given to me by my husband. We were watching ER, and some homeless children called Neela "Mayday" which supposedly comes from the folklore of homeless children http://www.miaminewtimes.com/1997-06-05/news/myths-over-miami/

Since I currently have blue hair and I want to go into medicine, he started calling me Mayday and it just kinda stuck.

Because of the whole Blue lady thing, I went looking for a blue caduceus to use as an avatar.

My username is a bastardization of the name of the world in the RPG Morrowind. The world name was Vvardenfell I believe. I know...lame.

Anyways, my avatar is a picture of Raymond Watts, my favorite musician of the industrial music genre. His band is named PIG and he is a former member/vocalist of KMFDM.

Stray is a nickname my friends gave me. One of them gave me a little blue bone-shaped dog tag that says "stray, free to a good home"... it just kind of stuck from there. It all came about because my family moved around a lot when I was a kid. I don't consider any of the cities or states I've lived in to be my home. I still move around a lot now that I'm an adult. By the time I die I probably will have lived in every state and several other countries :D.

Xtremeangel24 = I'm into extreme sports (like snowboarding and surfing) and I'm 24 years old. The angel part I just threw in for no apparent reason.:D

My avatar is a painting of Eve (see the bitten fruit in her hand?) by Gabe Leonard (I love his work) and I just thought it was a cool pic.

omega = the elementary particle composed of 3 "strange" quarks (I used to be a physics geek back in grade 10...)
xx = initial of my first name
avatar = my favourite football club, an underdog that ends up kicking major butts;)

I was feeling especially uncreative the day i created this account, so my username is my school e-mail address. My avatar is homage to the best conveniance store ever, Wawa. If you haven't tasted Wawa coffee, you haven't lived (and it's cheap too!). Oh and if you've ever been to southern NJ, you know Wawa because we literally have one on every corner. What am I going to do in Wawa free NYC next year? Convert to Starbucks? :scared:

I grew up in San Diego (thus my uncreative username) but while visiting friends in NJ at the tender age of 15, I fell head over heels in love for Wawa. Seriously, they have everything and they're always open. I miss the Wawa...

Oh, and I love TNG and Dr Crusher is, well, a doctor.

forty because i drink mucho of them

4 because i've had sex only 4 times in my life (but with 4 different women -- take that jason)

and beege because my initials are b.j. and i was sick of dudes calling me b!0w j0& so i shortened it to look ghetto

i made up the your mom joke. i swear i did. hahahaha.

then i added 25 because that's my lucky number.

SN means "resurrection" in ancient greek or literally "to stand up". The word means alot to me on several levels.

The avatar is just more proof of my already well documented obsession with Vin Diesel, currently decked out with bunny ears to celebrate the Easter season ;)

Coming from a guy wearing bunny ears, you have zero credibility. :laugh:
:laugh:
what's wrong with bunnies?? Especially the evil type??

I always wondered what Q stood for and what was Quimica
It all makes sense now :D

"oldbear" was my children's favorite teddy bear. He got his name because he was the first teddy bear my oldest child got and as we "collected" new ones, we always went back to the first, that I therefore ultimately named "oldbear." He became the favorite teddy bear for each of our children. Oldbear still is in our closet and used to be my avatar. I'll bring him back as an avatar one of these days. He has been promised for the first grandchild.

"oldbear" was my children's favorite teddy bear. He got his name because he was the first teddy bear my oldest child got and as we "collected" new ones, we always went back to the first, that I therefore ultimately named "oldbear." He became the favorite teddy bear for each of our children. Oldbear still is in our closet and used to be my avatar. I'll bring him back as an avatar one of these days. He has been promised for the first grandchild.
We have a cute stuffed dog in my family like that named Eeyore. It was my dad's when he was little and as the youngest in my generation I got to give it to my nephew... 3 generations now :)

:laugh:
what's wrong with bunnies?? Especially the evil type??

I always wondered what Q stood for and what was Quimica
It all makes sense now :D
The other not so good thing about my ID besides it being so long is that most people mispronounce it. :p The Qu in Spanish is pronounced like a K, and the i makes an ee sound. So for you gringos, you say it KEEM-ee-kuh, not "qwimica." :)

There's nothing wrong with bunnies. It's Ana's warped mind that's the problem. :p

Don't hate. Look at him! Bunny ears and he's still sexy. :love:

Besides: HE would never be killed by Arsenic... :smuggrin:
Some might call that sexy, I suppose. But that would probably be in a parallel universe. :smuggrin:

Arsenic can kill anyone. And if that doesn't work, there's always cyanide. :idea:

Sweet, I was hoping to hear from you. I was dying to know who that was in your avatar. :)

Fine, you got me. My avatar is REALLY a pic of myself- I am actually Gates McFadden (but don't tell everyone, my PM box will explode).:cool:

Ceyx was the only guy in Greek mythology who was smart, strong, male, and not in some way a dick head:D. Also it’s from his wife that we get the English word ‘halcyon’, which is my _favorite_ word...although, lately 'arborescent' has been giving it a close race.

.Yes, I’m a word geek, but hey I’m a writer; it comes with the territory..

The other not so good thing about my ID besides it being so long is that most people mispronounce it. :p The Qu in Spanish is pronounced like a K, and the i makes an ee sound. So for you gringos, you say it KEEM-ee-kuh, not "qwimica." :)

There's nothing wrong with bunnies. It's Ana's warped mind that's the problem. :p
i have yet to have to verbalize quimica but now that i think about it, it just sounds like chemika. I may be wrong because I haven't taken any kind of spanish since high school which was a while ago.

My username refers to a somewhat unfortunate incident in Bangkok.

Stringer Bell is a character in the HBO TV series The Wire. He's the underboss of the Barksdale drug organization in West Baltimore.

I didn't watch the TV series in its first run (watching the DVD's via Netflix), and I've had people comment on my Username here on SDN, almost giving away information in episodes that I hadn't yet seen. :oops:

Anyway, it's a really great cop drama, much better than the stuff you see on broadcast/basic cable TV. Penned by former Balitmore Sun reporter David Simon, who also wrote the book upon which the TV series Homicide:Life on the Street was based.

And the avatar, of course, is a picture of Stringer Bell, as played by Idris Elba.