what does a psychiatrist look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pschmom1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, now that I have your attention :laugh: . I do have 2 questions. 1st is that I noticed alot of ya referring to the Detroit area. I will be attending Wayne State SOM specializing in psych. I live in MI and I don't hear of many psychiatric hospitals. I know that there are hospitals w/psych floors as in my city (I'd never be affiliated w/that hospital as an MD) but I don't hear about many in the Detroit area. I will do my residency there so I know there's something, but besides Karo (I think thats what it's called) I haven't heard of any full fledged psychiatric hospitals in MI. Anyone know of any? Or hospital w/good psych floors? Another question I have may seem weird and shallow, but please take me seriosly, Im not trying to be sarcastic. Ok, I am 5' 3" , I have a small build, and Im rather attractive (no Im not conceided). My question is, is my apperance going to be a problem once I am in practice? I am a little concerned that my patients will over power me and intimidate me (in a psychotic state) or not take me seriously. I like to take care of myself and look nice, but I wonder if this might become a problem w/some of the patients I deal with. I"ve already noticed it at the hospital I volenteer at. I would really appreciate a positive realistic responce to the this. I really am concerned that my apearance may have a negative role in my profession. Hopefully not, but I have really only seen 2 psychiatrists in person and they were both males. I am a serious person and carry my self as such, but I was just concerned if the people I will deal with, given their mental state, will not take me as such, and what to do from there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Learn judo

2. Carry nunchucks

Solideliquid said:
1. Learn judo

2. Carry nunchucks

Ha-Ha thats funny and I think you're right. I will definately take a few self defense classes before M3. Thanks for the reply :) .

Members don't see this ad :)
pschmom1 said:
Ha-Ha thats funny and I think you're right. I will definately take a few self defense classes before M3. Thanks for the reply :) .

that's easy...you'd probably be the ideal candidate to open up a practice within an affluent community and charge 150-200/hr to the bored houswives complain about their lives and ask you if you think their husbands are cheating on them

1) There are 4 psych residency programs in Michigan, which is what you really want to care about. They are at umich, MSU, WSU, and Henry Ford. They will all prepare you well to become a board-certified psychiatrist. The day of the freestanding psych hospital (ala Northville, "Ypsi State") is pretty much over, but our patients will be found on psych units at all the major hospitals in the region.

2) Size and attractiveness: I went through training with some attractive young women. If, as you say, you carry yourself seriously, that will get you past most of the problems. Use that white coat as protection--both by de-emphasizing your figure and by emphasizing your authority as a professional. You will learn when around psychotic patients to "protect your space", and you will see that a "show of force" by keeping burly NAs and RNs around will keep things safe.

One of my current colleagues is a petite middle aged woman--she's been in charge of our all male psychosis unit for decades, and she carries an air of authority that I swear is 10 times her actual size. It's amazing to see in action. You'll do fine. Wait until you see a few more psychiatrists in person (and in action) before you jump to conclusions.

pschmom1 said:
Ok, now that I have your attention :laugh: . I do have 2 questions. 1st is that I noticed alot of ya referring to the Detroit area. I will be attending Wayne State SOM specializing in psych. I live in MI and I don't hear of many psychiatric hospitals. I know that there are hospitals w/psych floors as in my city (I'd never be affiliated w/that hospital as an MD) but I don't hear about many in the Detroit area. I will do my residency there so I know there's something, but besides Karo (I think thats what it's called) I haven't heard of any full fledged psychiatric hospitals in MI. Anyone know of any? Or hospital w/good psych floors? Another question I have may seem weird and shallow, but please take me seriosly, Im not trying to be sarcastic. Ok, I am 5' 3" , I have a small build, and Im rather attractive (no Im not conceided). My question is, is my apperance going to be a problem once I am in practice? I am a little concerned that my patients will over power me and intimidate me (in a psychotic state) or not take me seriously. I like to take care of myself and look nice, but I wonder if this might become a problem w/some of the patients I deal with. I"ve already noticed it at the hospital I volenteer at. I would really appreciate a positive realistic responce to the this. I really am concerned that my apearance may have a negative role in my profession. Hopefully not, but I have really only seen 2 psychiatrists in person and they were both males. I am a serious person and carry my self as such, but I was just concerned if the people I will deal with, given their mental state, will not take me as such, and what to do from there. Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your feedback :) .

OldPsychDoc said:
2) Size and attractiveness: I went through training with some attractive young women. If, as you say, you carry yourself seriously, that will get you past most of the problems. Use that white coat as protection--both by de-emphasizing your figure and by emphasizing your authority as a professional. You will learn when around psychotic patients to "protect your space", and you will see that a "show of force" by keeping burly NAs and RNs around will keep things safe.

I agree with this, and I sympathize with your potential plight. I myself stuggle everyday with my unabashed attractiveness. I come to tears when I think of the days of recovery lost when patients have been obsessed with my undeniable good looks, charm, and overall sexiness. It's difficult for most of the general population to relate to my curse. Yes, I consider my physical perfection a 'curse,' because at times, it gets in the way of my clinical work with patients lacking certain superego repressive mechanisms.

I graced you all with a picture of my beauty earlier. But for those interested, I'll once again provide you with a glimpse of what most cannot have:
http://www.photodump.com/direct/anasazi23/timt002.jpg

For those of you wishing to increase your attractiveness level, I have advice for you. Contrary to popular beliefMay I suggest that you associate with others who are nearly equal or that exceed your own beauty, rather than those below yours. The reason is that you will become beautiful by association. As another example, here are the friends I normally cruise the town with:
Friend #1
Friend #2 (in the shower)
Fiend #3

Of course, despite these strategies, the majority of you will still find yourself without a sexiness level equivalent to my own. This is normal. Encourage your therapist to work with you regarding loss issues, and the ability to achieve happiness despite the impossibility of this ego need.

Best of luck to you. Let me know how you fare.

OldPsychDoc said:
You will learn when around psychotic patients to "protect your space", and you will see that a "show of force" by keeping burly NAs and RNs around will keep things safe.

until those na's or rn's start using their force by hitting on you. :rolleyes: to the op, this is a problem i inquired about in a previous thread. it seems as though it's no different a problem than what attractive women face in the workforce anywhere else, really. there are no easy solutions. the same confidence that you have towards patients can turn a few of your co-workers (and even the patients!) on, as is what happened to me on my sub-i this summer. but when things start getting weird, you've just gotta be firm and professional. let them all know you're there to take care of their mental health needs and nothing more. good :luck: .

ps: i still :love: anasazi.

I have to say that I noticed a definite trend among my classmates in regards to which ones frequently encountered sexual innuendoes or advances either by patients or by their medical superiors (residents and attendings).

There were plenty of beautiful women in my med school class. The two women who seemed frequently to get into this kind of trouble were not the most attractive women in the class (although they were reasonably cute). What they were was borderline obsessed with their own sexual attractiveness and how it affected their lives. Neither of them seemed capable of relating to men on a nonsexual basis.

I'm not going to suggest that women never encounter unprovoked sexual advances; that would be stupid. But I do suggest that for those who encounter it repeatedly and typically, it is most likely to be a result of their behavior and demeanor, rather than of their physical appearance per se. I am guessing that those two women projected an aura that made men see them as receptive to inappropriate behavior.

Bottom line is what OldPsychDoc said: Conduct yourself professionally, and problems will be unlikely.

Anasazi23 said:
I agree with this, and I sympathize with your potential plight. I myself stuggle everyday with my unabashed attractiveness. I come to tears when I think of the days of recovery lost when patients have been obsessed with my undeniable good looks, charm, and overall sexiness.

Anasazi, did you stop taking your meds again? :rolleyes:

BTW--is there an opposite of body dysmorphic disorder?
Self-induced beer goggles?

Solideliquid said:
Carry nunchucks

I always thought it was "numchucks" but I guess I was wrong all these years! I cannot get the image out of my head of a pair of them with nuns hanging off the ends instead of wooden handles. :laugh: :laugh:

Regarding being a short, attractive female... Well, I'm short, and not too unattractive, and I haven't had any problems during my 3rd and 4th year rotations. There are quite a few female attendings in our psych department, and they are all quite attractive - more so than me, and everyone takes them seriously because they know their stuff. Regarding safety, just take the same precautions as everyone else - don't sit between the door and your patient, leave the door open, etc. Most of this applies to patients on the wards rather than the outpatient setting.

tr said:
I'm not going to suggest that women never encounter unprovoked sexual advances; that would be stupid. But I do suggest that for those who encounter it repeatedly and typically, it is most likely to be a result of their behavior and demeanor, rather than of their physical appearance per se. I am guessing that those two women projected an aura that made men see them as receptive to inappropriate behavior.

Bottom line is what OldPsychDoc said: Conduct yourself professionally, and problems will be unlikely.

you mean i shouldn't have gone to work in my belly dancing outfit??? :eek: :laugh:

and you are correct, sir. i am not all that hot. cute, maybe. but definitely not the best looking gal at my school. i am, however, very single, though i don't go around telling anyone about it. being married probably turns a good number of men away from attractive women; and i've honestly contemplated getting a fake wedding band to turn people off-- only i'd be living a lie, and my co-workers would know it... i have this theory. perhaps because i'm NOT the cutest or hottest girl in the world, but a little above average, that makes me more approachable than the hotter women in my class. also being in med school ie $$$ and confidence probably draws some in. lastly, i am a very caring person: always willing to listen, project warmth, concern, a calming demeanor etc. maybe that gets misinterpreted as interest in more-- which is very, very sad about our society... but regarding why this stuff keeps happening to me, well, it never used to be as bad as this summer. i even apparently accidentally seduced an engaged resident. i honestly thought i was just being friendly! i'm not a touchy-feely person at all, dress conservatively, and am downright asexual in the way i behave towards others (never had a boyfriend, don't go around looking for one either). i really can't figure any of this out at all. but i am pretty good at picking up on others' body language and i notice a lot of guys checking me out wherever i go. so when i notice this, i try to modify my body language accordingly to give them signals to stay away (ignore them, avoid them etc), and it usually works (guys seldom ask me out). but perhaps some think i'm just playing hard to get? :confused:

ps: psych doc, you're just jealous of anasazi's eye candy. ;)

MDgonnabe said:
you mean i shouldn't have gone to work in my belly dancing outfit???
It really wasn't about appearance. The two women I mentioned dressed well, but not provocatively. It really was about their vibe.
and you are correct, sir. i am not all that hot.
First of all, I don't presume to make any guesses at all regarding your 'hotness,' since I haven't any idea what you look like, and I certainly did not mean to imply that I could guess otherwise! I was just speaking of the cases I saw IRL.

Second of all, I am a woman (not a 'sir'), and I've noticed this at work in my own life. I have only once been approached inappropriately in any professional/academic setting (although it happens a lot on the street and in casual social settings). It happened when I was teaching high school students. At the time I was only a couple of years older than they were, totally inexperienced, and I had absolutely no control over the students other than what they chose to give me. Most of them were very nice, well-behaved kids, but one or two of the guys used to say totally inappropriate things to me.

What was the problem? It was my demeanor. Because I was not experienced, I didn't know how to project an aura of being in charge. I felt like one of the kids myself, and that came through. After a couple of semesters, I figured out how to act like a teacher and I never had that problem again. So it wasn't anything about my appearance, which didn't change significantly over the time that I was teaching. It was my vibe.
Being married probably turns a good number of men away from attractive women; and i've honestly contemplated getting a fake wedding band to turn people off...
I'm not sure men have a good eye for those subtle details. I've been asked if I'm married many times; sometimes I feel like just holding up my bare fingers, but perhaps that would be rude.
i'm not a touchy-feely person at all, dress conservatively, and am downright asexual in the way i behave towards others (never had a boyfriend, don't go around looking for one either).
Again, I'm not accusing you directly of being like these two women (how could I, since I don't know you?), but if you were, you might not realize it. One of the two was also conservative in her personal life and had not ever had a boyfriend (she came from a relatively strict culture).

But she still saw everything in pseudosexual terms. She would always mention men who she claimed had crushes on her, would always declare a man to be 'cute' or 'not cute' when she met him, would suspect innuendoes in situations that seemed benign to me, etc. I actually sometimes thought that if she had had a little more personal experience with men, she would have realized that they are human beings too, and that there are many other ways to relate to them than just in this one way.

The other woman had had relationships in the past and was sexually experienced, but she also seemed to have this habit of viewing everything through the prism of her own sexuality. It was weird; I thought both women's behavior was a little off in this respect throughout the first two years, and I confess that I was not at all surprised when they turned out to be the two who kept having troubles of this nature on the wards. (Or maybe the first one was making a lot of them up, since as I mentioned she seemed to see innuendo in a lot of seemingly platonic situations.)
i really can't figure any of this out at all. but i am pretty good at picking up on others' body language and i notice a lot of guys checking me out wherever i go.
Well, men do do this. I think it's mostly habitual, though. They seem to do it to just about any woman in the right age range (and even many who aren't), and it doesn't necessarily mean they are interested in any further contact. They're just checking out the scenery. ;)
so when i notice this, i try to modify my body language accordingly to give them signals to stay away (ignore them, avoid them etc), and it usually works (guys seldom ask me out). but perhaps some think i'm just playing hard to get? :confused:
No, they probably just think you are acting strangely. You really don't need to give men 'signals to stay away' because you notice them looking at your legs or whatever. You just need to ignore it and behave in a normal, friendly and/or professional way (or whatever the situation demands). Usually that is not too difficult, because most men have learned how to check women out without creating a disturbance.

Seriously, just because a guy 'checks you out' doesn't mean he is going to 'ask you out,' and it is really weird to ignore and avoid somebody because of this. Honestly, this *is* kind of like the behavior of girl #1, seeing everything in terms of sexual relations.

If a guy 'checks you out,' that basically means that he has noticed you are a young woman. He may think you are ugly or cute, nice or nasty, approachable or off-limits, or whatever. If cute, nice, and approachable all apply, maybe he will ask you out, or maybe he won't. You can just deal with that when it comes. Who knows, maybe you will even like him back. Anyway these cases are a miniscule percentage of all the guys who will ever look at your legs.

tr said:
Second of all, I am a woman (not a 'sir'), and I've noticed this at work in my own life. I have only once been approached inappropriately in any professional/academic setting (although it happens a lot on the street and in casual social settings). It happened when I was teaching high school students. At the time I was only a couple of years older than they were, totally inexperienced, and I had absolutely no control over the students other than what they chose to give me. Most of them were very nice, well-behaved kids, but one or two of the guys used to say totally inappropriate things to me.

What was the problem? It was my demeanor. Because I was not experienced, I didn't know how to project an aura of being in charge. I felt like one of the kids myself, and that came through. After a couple of semesters, I figured out how to act like a teacher and I never had that problem again. So it wasn't anything about my appearance, which didn't change significantly over the time that I was teaching. It was my vibe.

but it's also possible that perhaps you started to get out of their age range so they didn't hit on you anymore. but even were that not true, you were still sending signals for people to stay away. :)

Again, I'm not accusing you directly of being like these two women (how could I, since I don't know you?), but if you were, you might not realize it. One of the two was also conservative in her personal life and had not ever had a boyfriend (she came from a relatively strict culture).

But she still saw everything in pseudosexual terms. She would always mention men who she claimed had crushes on her, would always declare a man to be 'cute' or 'not cute' when she met him, would suspect innuendoes in situations that seemed benign to me, etc. I actually sometimes thought that if she had had a little more personal experience with men, she would have realized that they are human beings too, and that there are many other ways to relate to them than just in this one way.

what type of platonic situations would she misinterpret?

it's possible i behave like this woman. only, over the years, it's taken a lot more for me to think a guy is interested in me. usually i start getting concerned when i notice a guy blatantly staring at me whenever he sees me around, or getting increasingly touchy feely, or throwing around sexual jokes etc. of course the most obvious sign is when he asks you out, but there are shy men too so you can't always count on that. i dunno. i think when you experience this crap enough times you can kinda tell i think. but you're absolutely right, there's certainly no point in talking about guys who have "crushes" on you unless you're trying to boost your own ego.

No, they probably just think you are acting strangely. You really don't need to give men 'signals to stay away' because you notice them looking at your legs or whatever. You just need to ignore it and behave in a normal, friendly and/or professional way (or whatever the situation demands). Usually that is not too difficult, because most men have learned how to check women out without creating a disturbance.

problem being that i've had a lot of "friendships" go to **** because the guys got the wrong idea of me from the start. actually, all but one of my guyfriends ended up ditching me after their intentions became clear; and the one boy who didn't moved, so that's what's saved our friendship. i dunno. it sucks, but sometimes you do have to send the right type of signals right away to save people pain in the long run. sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't because they see what they want to see.

If a guy 'checks you out,' that basically means that he has noticed you are a young woman. He may think you are ugly or cute, nice or nasty, approachable or off-limits, or whatever.

do men do that a lot? i mean, check people out solely because they're off-limits? weird.

MDgonnabe said:
but it's also possible that perhaps you started to get out of their age range so they didn't hit on you anymore. but even were that not true, you were still sending signals for people to stay away. :)
Well, we weren't supposed to tell them how old we were if we were young, so technically they didn't know. But you could tell from my appearance that I wasn't very old (I taught from ages 18-21).

Regarding the stay-away signals, there's a pretty big difference between behaving in a neutral-friendly, appropriate way and ignoring/avoiding people. The former doesn't say "stay away," it just says "I am behaving in a situation-appropriate way and that's your cue to do so as well."
what type of platonic situations would she misinterpret?
For example, if we were in a situation with new people and some of them were men, afterwards she would very frequently declare that one of these men had been attracted to her, or hitting on her, or whatever, even though his actions and words always seemed pretty normal for the situation.
it's possible i behave like this woman. only, over the years, it's taken a lot more for me to think a guy is interested in me. usually i start getting concerned when i notice a guy blatantly staring at me whenever he sees me around, or getting increasingly touchy feely, or throwing around sexual jokes etc. of course the most obvious sign is when he asks you out, but there are shy men too so you can't always count on that. i dunno. i think when you experience this crap enough times you can kinda tell i think.
Okay, but if you don't want to go out with somebody, just say no when he asks you. There's no need to try to head him off by being rude ahead of time. Touchy-feely and sexual jokes are out of line in a work situation, but they're a pretty normal advance in a social situation. Everything depends.

Anyway, my point is not that *you* are necessarily misinterpreting platonic situations - again, how could I possibly know that? I'm just saying that men tend to pick up vibes from certain women that say 'go ahead,' and the less savory sorts will take that cue and run with it. I think that woman #1 was sending out those vibes, based on my prior experience of her odd attitudes towards men.
problem being that i've had a lot of "friendships" go to **** because the guys got the wrong idea of me from the start. actually, all but one of my guyfriends ended up ditching me after their intentions became clear; and the one boy who didn't moved, so that's what's saved our friendship. i dunno. it sucks, but sometimes you do have to send the right type of signals right away to save people pain in the long run. sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't because they see what they want to see.
Well, sometimes men who want to be your lover will settle for being your friend thinking it will get them in the back door, then want out when it doesn't work. That sucks, but it's not really in the same category as men behaving inappropriately in a work or academic setting.
do men do that a lot? i mean, check people out solely because they're off-limits? weird.
No, I think they just do it to *everyone*, off-limits or no. I was surprised to hear my male friends talk about certain female med school professors being attractive. Obviously they aren't going to ask these women out, for a multitude of reasons - they're just noticing them the way they notice all semi-attractive women. I'm pretty sure they never actually hit on any of these profs!

Wow, did I set something off here. I knew my thread would get people to notice, but I think were off the point here. I did, however, expect negative feedback, but I certainly didn't expect it from Anasazi23. I have held him high in respect pertaining to other many posts from him, but whatever. Anyways, I wasn't saying that I was worried that people would find me soooo hot that it would effect my job or the people's around me. Please, give me some credit. I simply meant that I have a small frame and I was a little concerned as to what some patients I may deal with take my position and seriousness. I volenteer at a hospital and have reciently delt w/a 6ft aggressive suicidal male who looked at me like I was a joke. Maybe it was the fact that I wasn't wearing the ever respectful white coat, but I was intimidated, and I'm quite sure that when I do earn my right to wear the white coat I will be faced with situations similar to this. I was looking for responses from people who understand what I am concerned with, and from some of the positive feedback. I am assured from some feedback so far that it is all in how one carries her/himself. I was not worried that people would "fall in love w/me" or become obsessed w/me or think that I was ever so beautiful that they would forget that they were delusional or psychotic or depressed! I guess I was just trying to get some feedback from the people who are there and know the situations psychiatrists deal with on a day to day basis, and If my appearance would play a negitave role. Im not worried about coworkers, attendings, or fellow students. That is the least of my concern, I was just concerned as to what I may face w/my more serious patients. By the way, any more info about Detroit hospitals w/psych floors? Thanks again all.

pschmom1 said:
Wow, did I set something off here. I knew my thread would get people to notice, but I think were off the point here. I did, however, expect negative feedback, but I certainly didn't expect it from Anasazi23. I have held him high in respect pertaining to other many posts from him, but whatever. Anyways, I wasn't saying that I was worried that people would find me soooo hot that it would effect my job or the people's around me. Please, give me some credit. I simply meant that I have a small frame and I was a little concerned as to what some patients I may deal with take my position and seriousness. I volenteer at a hospital and have reciently delt w/a 6ft aggressive suicidal male who looked at me like I was a joke. Maybe it was the fact that I wasn't wearing the ever respectful white coat, but I was intimidated, and I'm quite sure that when I do earn my right to wear the white coat I will be faced with situations similar to this. I was looking for responses from people who understand what I am concerned with, and from some of the positive feedback. I am assured from some feedback so far that it is all in how one carries her/himself. I was not worried that people would "fall in love w/me" or become obsessed w/me or think that I was ever so beautiful that they would forget that they were delusional or psychotic or depressed! I guess I was just trying to get some feedback from the people who are there and know the situations psychiatrists deal with on a day to day basis, and If my appearance would play a negitave role. Im not worried about coworkers, attendings, or fellow students. That is the least of my concern, I was just concerned as to what I may face w/my more serious patients. By the way, any more info about Detroit hospitals w/psych floors? Thanks again all.

well, i'm only 5'3-4"ish. no problems yet. the larger patients are held in check by the nurses or techs. it's also possible that they're so psychotic that they won't even notice how small you are. so no worries there. but it's very interesting how people here are advocating the use of a white coat as a form of authority. many in psych refuse to wear a white coat (a bunch of my attendings for example) because that supposedly makes you more of a target to patients who want things or who want to take their aggressions out on you etc. i'd say, just be smart about all this. it really doesn't even take a large patient to hurt you if they wanted to, anyway. some of the most aggressive patients i saw were skinny, middle-aged women. if you feel like someone's going to physically assault you, you're probably right. get away from them asap. don't interview really out of control patients alone. restraints can also help out temporarily if someone is really on the wild side (as you'll see a lot of in various crisis response centers). again, good :luck:

pschmom1 said:
Wow, did I set something off here. I knew my thread would get people to notice, but I think were off the point here. I did, however, expect negative feedback, but I certainly didn't expect it from Anasazi23. I have held him high in respect pertaining to other many posts from him, but whatever.

Aww, comon. :( I was only kiddin'. Injecting some humor into the thread. Of course none of my sarcasm was directed at you. It was just in good fun.

Your question is legitimate, and one that comes up in residency with the gals once in a while...usually after something bad happens or almost happened. The truth is that you are at a disadvantage being a smaller female. There will be times a 200lb aggressive patient decides to start tearing up the place, and depending on the hospital in which you work, you'll be the one everyone looks to in order to stop the situation. I have personally restrained patients, performed take-downs, and caught punches directed at other doctors trying to draw blood and perform other procedures. However, you generally will not be expected to do this. You will likely get letters written to you by psychotic, obsessive, disinhibited or personality-disordered patients, you will get inappropriate comments, you will be referred to as the "cute doctor," you will excuse yoursef from an interview room when the hair on the back of your neck stands up, you will be in the ER watching a patient get dragged out by security while he's screaming at you that he'll kill you for not giving him a bed or admitting him.

These things will happen. It's easier if you're a guy, and easier still if you're a guy with height, bulk, athleticism, strength, or all of the above. All this being said, as a smaller woman, you simply pass off as much of the above duties to security, male nursing, etc, as possible.

Fundamentally you will be a doctor and this alone protects you to some degree- strange but true- patients behave better with me than they do with the nurses.
I too, am not ugly and do occaisionally get patients cracking on to me 'We'd make beautiful babies doctor' and you just tell tham that those kinds of comments aren't appropriate and either ignore it or finish the interview. I have also had a middle aged naked Italian man chase me across the closed ward after I'd gone to review him- luckily a number of the nurses had come with me because they knew he was 'keen on the ladies..'. I really don't think this will be a problem for you and it may be an advantage- because you will be more careful and get out of situations sooner. A big burly man may not want to finish an interview when someone becomes threaatening, you however will be sensible and will keep yourself safe that way. And you learn quickly yo stay out of arms reach... :) You'll be fine.

To answer your original query:

The sub-species, homopsychiatricus, is typically found in the suburbs of major metropolitan areas in North America--though they are occasionally spotted on all continents and in the inner-cities. They range in height from 18-inches to well over 7-feet tall. As for color, they are typically flush-red--as in reddish--from the sounds that they hear. They also vary in size from petite to very large.

If you spot this sub-species: RUN. Do not play dead--they will see this as a psychosis and try to diagnose you!! Also, DO NOT SIT DOWN! They will encourage you to "make yourself comfortable"; and, then, you are trapped for years!!!

Finally, beware the young homopsychiatricus-residenticus. They may look cute and cuddly, but they will be within earshot of their mentor--who, at times, can be VERY protective of their young proteges. Do not make eye contact if you spot a youngster! Turn aroud and pretend to be looking for something else! THIS IS YOUR ONLY HOPE!

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion that you may have.
mosche

Thanks all especially Mosche, your too funny, by the way I dig your avitar! Thank you for your kindness anasazi23, I still love your posts and find them very helpful and encouraging. :)