1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What does everyone mean by "apply broadly"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by GreenBubba, May 16, 2007.

1. GreenBubba

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey everyone,

I've been lurking around sometime now and it seems that everyon generally agree you should apply broadly. I just looked through the MSAR today and it seems that the average MCAT score for every private school is around 30 or above. I have a 30Q and 3.78 GPA and am a Georgia resident...we only have one public med school...what does that mean for me? I'm at the borderline for all these schools and it seems like they are all reach schools. Anyone have any advice on some safety school I should consider? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pennybridge

pennybridge Membership Revoked
    Removed

apply to any and every medical school that you could see yourself going to. When the dust clears, pick the school that you got in to that you like best and go there.

don't apply to schools you don't want to go to.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not only do you have to have the numbers, but you also have to be a "good fit" for the school. Thus it often benefits people to apply to a decent number of schools of varying rank. You don't want to apply to just the top 10, or just a small handful. You want to take a few longshots, a bunch where your stats are competitive and then perhaps a state school as a "backup" (if there is such a thing). With a 3.78/30, you are competitive for a lot of schools -- the average for matriculants is pretty close to that which means about half the people who get into med school don't quite have your stats.

5. postbacker

postbacker Membership Revoked
    Removed

Non-Student
    "Safety school" is a useless term for medical school admissions, at least as it is used in college admissions as that school where you are virtually 100 percent sure of gaining admission. For most applicants, the closest thing to a safety is an in-state public, but that is not true for applicants in all states (think California).

Thus the advice to "apply broadly."