What does everyone use to gauge neighborhood safety for schools they are considering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, what does everyone use to gauge safety?

I have been looking online to try and gauge the safety? I am engaged and have a daughter so if need be I will be willing to drive to wherever I gain an acceptance at. My stats are lower and I may even be doing an SMP depending on how this cycle goes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's a generalization for every single city, but suburbs with good school districts generally are pretty safe. If you know what city you're looking at, I believe each publishes a crime map (at least the city I live in does).

Since I can't visit a lot of the schools I'm applying to, other than looking up the area, I have been looking up property on realtor.com. The site has a filter to add a crime map, although I'm not really sure how accurate it is.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think there's a generalization for every single city, but suburbs with good school districts generally are pretty safe. If you know what city you're looking at, I believe each publishes a crime map (at least the city I live in does).

Since I can't visit a lot of the schools I'm applying to, other than looking up the area, I have been looking up property on realtor.com. The site has a filter to add a crime map, although I'm not really sure how accurate it is.

I have been looking at a few areas around schools that I have the best chances at but their are so many conflicting reports. I grew up in a really rough place and I just don't want to subject my daughter to that type of lifestyle so I am being very meticulous with our choice of area. Like I said I don't mind driving a distance to school everyday but I would want to limit it to at least an hour drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been looking at a few areas around schools that I have the best chances at but their are so many conflicting reports. I grew up in a really rough place and I just don't want to subject my daughter to that type of lifestyle so I am being very meticulous with our choice of area. Like I said I don't mind driving a distance to school everyday but I would want to limit it to at least an hour drive.

I don't have children so it's not personal experience, but I have a couple friends who work in public education. Here's a site on public school district rankings. To my knowledge, good school districts usually correlate to a pretty nice neighborhood. If you have a specific state, their own department of education will probably have some sort of report card that breaks down ranking on academic achievement, but also extracurriculars and teacher to student ratios which I believe are great indicators on the amount of social support your daughter will receive. You can also look up property taxes for areas, as the higher property taxes will usually be translated into better funded schools. This site ranks school districts on safety, although I haven't looked into their data source so I'm not sure how reliable it is.

As the title says, what does everyone use to gauge safety?

I have been looking online to try and gauge the safety? I am engaged and have a daughter so if need be I will be willing to drive to wherever I gain an acceptance at. My stats are lower and I may even be doing an SMP depending on how this cycle goes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Google city name niche and you can see reviews and rankings of the city. Niche is a pretty accurate site. Also if you are using a realtor site for housing they usually have the school rankings.

I don't have children so it's not personal experience, but I have a couple friends who work in public education. Here's a site on public school district rankings. To my knowledge, good school districts usually correlate to a pretty nice neighborhood. If you have a specific state, their own department of education will probably have some sort of report card that breaks down ranking on academic achievement, but also extracurriculars and teacher to student ratios which I believe are great indicators on the amount of social support your daughter will receive. You can also look up property taxes for areas, as the higher property taxes will usually be translated into better funded schools. This site ranks school districts on safety, although I haven't looked into their data source so I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Awesome, my daughter wont be in school until like my third year of medical school but with myself being at the school or library all day I don't want my soon to be wife and my daughter in a rough place.

Google city name niche and you can see reviews and rankings of the city. Niche is a pretty accurate site. Also if you are using a realtor site for housing they usually have the school rankings.

I have been looking on niche, there was a couple contradicting posts but I chalked that up to some people just look for trouble.