1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What does "Hold" mean????????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fernj75, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Fernj75

Fernj75 Member
    7+ Year Member

Today I received a letter from SUNY Downstate which I initially though was a rejection letter. However, the letter stated that ? The committee reviewed your application and decided to place your application in the ?Hold? category. This means that your credentials will be reviewed again in the Spring.? Now What I would like to know is the following.

A)Is this a good or bad sign?
    B)Is there a good chance I will get invited for an interview later on?
    C)Is this just a delayed rejection. That I will eventually get rejected anyway?
    D)Is there a large pool of applicants placed in the ?Hold? category?
    E)Is this a waitlist?

Thank you for your feedback.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ronaldinho

Ronaldinho Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm wondering the same thing..i got that letter on saturday :rolleyes:

4. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i don't know how many people are on hold, but i think that it is not a rejection or a waitlist. it's not the best sign, but there's a very big group of people that any school 'might' let in, and this amcas thing has made it especially hard for them to figure out what to do with those people. all of the schools are very concerned with their proportions (of accepts:matriculants, etc.) and so they really just mean 'hold' - they want to wait to put you in a pile until they know more about who's applied and what they think of them. it's a little bizarre, but much of this process is too, right? :)

5. frantic

frantic Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just got the same message. I'm not sure what it means either, but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. The interesting thing is that all three of us that got the letter are New Yorkers. It makes me think that they are being extra selective with state residents until all of the number come in. I'm not so sure I would want to go to Downstate anyway. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.