what does holistic philosophy mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matrix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Could somebody explain to me what this philosophy exactly mean?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

According to Webster's Dictionary:

Holistic: of, concerned with, or dealing with wholes or integrated systems rather than with their parts.

If you're referring to the "Contemporary Osteopathic Medical Philosophy".... Osteopathic concepts emphasize the following principles:
1) The human being is adynamic unit of function.
2 The body possesses self-regulatory mechanisms which are self-healing nature.
3) Structure and function are interrelated at all levels.
4) Rational treatment is based on these priniples.
(Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress)

Of course, there's more about Osteopathic Principles and Philosophy and what I had mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg. The book I mentioned above contributes a good amount of portion about the osteopathic philosophy....

If I'm incorrectly answering your question, please clarify and I'll try and clarify further if possible....

Popoy!

I had a feeling that you'll be the first one to answer my question. You really are an expert!!

Thanks a million!

Members don't see this ad :)
Popoy is a dork!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Alloism means breaking apart the pieces and treating them individually. Holism means one treats the whole.

In it, one does not treat the disease without treating the patient. One does not treat the patient without also treating all aspcts of thr patient, and taking all elements of ther patient into account in the presenting problem (the disease).

Said differently, the wholistic physician does not treat just the physical aspect of man. He or she takes into account and treats the patient on his or her every level: spiritualy, emotionally, mentally, socially, culturally, contextually--the whole of man and his setting.

In my opinion, this is medicine practiced at its absolute finest.

A quick read that is excellent is Anatomy of an Illness by Norman Cousins. He also wrote Head First.

Most have their own flavor to what holistic philosophy is. The above is my take on it.

Holistic philosophy is just one of the many "Buzz words" that the AOA are trying to spin for the respected profession.

I certainly dislike such a term...though it sounds good during interviews. It doesn't have anything to do with A.T. Still's original ideas of medicine, since he quite disliked the pharmacology of the day and considered them "poisons".

The term itself is meaningless and actually has nothing to do with how we really practice. It is a catchphrase that I dislike.

Entymologically "holistic" just means "health." It's a non-technical term with a broad range of meanings. On the other hand, osteopathy (a wholistic form of medicine) is a very well-defined system of medicine, distinct from allopathy.

Originally posted by drchrislareau:
•Entymologically "holistic" just means "health." It's a non-technical term with a broad range of meanings. On the other hand, osteopathy (a wholistic form of medicine) is a very well-defined system of medicine, distinct from allopathy.•

True, true, true. In books "osteopathy" and "allopathy" are distinct and defined. However, in practice I think it is a different story altogether. All three terms seemed to have lost a great deal of meaning with time and the differences have blurred substantially. "Holistic" now seems more like a buzzword that needs to appear in virtually everything from the AOA and other osteopathic literature, as if the allopathic schools are still reductionist in nature. Despite the blurred meanings (and my apparently contradiction to my statement above), Osteopathic medicine is still distinct in some ways from Allopathic medicine, but the holistic approach itself does not make it unique.

Also, being that entomology is the study of insects, I find it curious that the term "holistic" is even addressed (KIDDING! I know the "n" was just a typo, I just felt like being a smart-a-- :D )

If you work with DO's or MD's, you'll find out that everyone has their own unique philosophy. DO schools don't make you more or less holistic and MD schools are the same. Most people by the time they enter med school have their own pre conceived notions on everything. Plus, anybody who has seen a DO or MD in a "hospital" setting know that they practice exactly the same. The surgery is the same, the radiographic techniques are the same, the drugs are the same. The only time you do see a difference is if you have the opportunity to see one of the some 15% of DO's if that much, who actually incorporate osteopathic medicine in their family practice. What would even be more unique is find a DO who doesn't practice "defensive" medicine like every other doctor in the country. DO or MD, you're always scared of getting sued that one time you misdiagnose something as minor when it is major so everyone seems to order numerous x-rays and prescribe medicine like crazy. That's the universal common denominator.