What does it mean to co-author a paper?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I am applying for research programs for the summer, and some guy was impressed with my ambition and said I might be able to co-author a paper.

Members don't see this ad.

It means to be an author on a paper lol

Reactions: 1 users
yep, it means you're one of the multiple authors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a better outcome than say, writing an abstract or presenting a poster? Different programs offer different things, but only few seem to state that it's possible to actually co-author a publication at the end.

I'd say it's harder to get published, and getting published in a prominent journal would be really impressive.

Reactions: 1 user
As mentioned above, co-author means you'll be listed amongst several other authors on a publication to a peer-reviewed journal (which is excellent for an undergrad). The term 'co-author' implies that you're neither first author (the person who came up with the idea, did most of the work, and primarily drafted the paper) nor the senior author (the person who runs the lab and obtains grant money).

The "worth" of an authorship (primarily for faculty production bonuses and tenure) is the following:
senior author = first author >> co-author >>> acknowledgement

Also, as mentioned above, any authorship is better than an abstract (oral or poster presentation) at a conference. However, as an undergrad literally anything tangible is impressive for the sake of med school admissions.

On a side note, nobody can guarantee you a publication within a given time frame. There are simply too many variables: the feast or famine nature of grants, the unpredictable outcome of experiments, the often capricious/arbitrary decisions of journal editors. However, things that would suggest a high probability of publication when selecting a lab:
- At least one dedicated researcher (e.g., master's student, PhD student, post-doc, PhD faculty), whose employment depends upon research productivity. Clinicians in general are far less motivated to do high quality research (especially in a timely manner) as their salaries are primarily dependent upon clinical productivity (RVU's).
- The publication history of the primary investigator (PI). As a general rule, 3 or more publications per year indicates a reasonably productive lab.
- In terms of maximizing the number of publications per unit time: clinical chart review > prospective clinical study = bench top (basic science).
- However, as an undergrad with very little clinical expertise, you are often more valuable in a basic science lab where menial labor is a commodity.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd say it's harder to get published, and getting published in a prominent journal would be really impressive.

If you are co-authoring a paper, isn't is considered published? And I guess what I'm asking is, how will doing this help with my ultimate goal of medical school? And does an authorship even mean anything if you just wrote up some data sets to achieve that title?

Yes.
Is this a better outcome than say, writing an abstract or presenting a poster? Different programs offer different things, but only few seem to state that it's possible to actually co-author a publication at the end.

It's not published until it's in print, or accepted for publication by the journal you submitted it to.
If you are co-authoring a paper, isn't is considered published?

The research powerhouses love this sort of thing.
And I guess what I'm asking is, how will doing this help with my ultimate goal of medical school?

Yes. It's means you made an intellectual contribution to the paper.
And does an authorship even mean anything if you just wrote up some data sets to achieve that title?

Reactions: 1 user

Yes.

how will doing this help with my ultimate goal of medical school?

AMCAS has an category dedicated for "Publications". You put something in there you will get points towards your application.

And does an authorship even mean anything if you just wrote up some data sets to achieve that title?

So long as your name is shoulder to shoulder with all the other authors. Yes.
And don't dismiss "just writing up some data sets", time needed for data analysis can balloon really fast and really hard.

Good job though! Seems like you are checking off all the right boxes :)

Yes.

AMCAS has an category dedicated for "Publications". You put something in there you will get points towards your application.

So long as your name is shoulder to shoulder with all the other authors. Yes.
And don't dismiss "just writing up some data sets", time needed for data analysis can balloon really fast and really hard.

Good job though! Seems like you are checking off all the right boxes :)

Thanks
Yes.

It's not published until it's in print, or accepted for publication by the journal you submitted it to.

The research powerhouses love this sort of thing.
And I guess what I'm asking is, how will doing this help with my ultimate goal of medical school?

Yes. It's means you made an intellectual contribution to the paper.
Thanks

Do you think I should take this opportunity? There is another research gig that I might be able to get into that sounds really interesting. I may not have the same authorship opportunity, but I'd really like to do it because it's through a school of medicine, and I will have the chance to shadow physicians

Do you think I should take this opportunity? There is another research gig that I might be able to get into that sounds really interesting. I may not have the same authorship opportunity, but I'd really like to do it because it's through a school of medicine, and I will have the chance to shadow physicians

Just do whatever will allow you to have the most contribution to a project and you find interesting. Even if you don't get published you'll have something to talk about during the interview or even better be able to do a poster presentation at a conference.

I have a question--

if you're not first, second or third author, do you just say you're a co-author (like for example, 10th author)?

Is it unimpressive to mention second or third author in applications?

I'm not too concerned with getting publications (even though my PI left me quite hopeful) as I am simply thankful to have research experience! They are the icing on the cake, it seems.

I just feel like no matter how many publications one has, it won't matter if they don't have the grades or MCAT score. Right? @Goro

"I just feel like no matter how many publications one has, it won't matter if they don't have the grades or MCAT score. Right?"

@Catalystik @gyngyn I would like your insight on that as well!

MCAT & GPA are very important / med school is hard, adcom members want to make sure you can handle the work.

I'd say your statement is pretty true.

In the realm of what's important on authorships, what counts is 1st, 2nd or last. The last usually, but not always, the PI or submitting author.

Anywhere else, and you're either a co-author, or a collaborating author.

Any UG student getting their name on a paper has done well. This is an uncommon event, and hard enough for grad students, post-docs or even PIs!

if you're not first, second or third author, do you just say you're a co-author (like for example, 10th author)?

Is it unimpressive to mention second or third author in applications?

I'm not too concerned with getting publications (even though my PI left me quite hopeful) as I am simply thankful to have research experience! They are the icing on the cake, it seems.

Not even a first author Nature or Cell paper will salvage a poor MCAT or GPA.
I just feel like no matter how many publications one has, it won't matter if they don't have the grades or MCAT score. Right?

"I just feel like no matter how many publications one has, it won't matter if they don't have the grades or MCAT score. Right?"

@Catalystik @gyngyn I would like your insight on that as well!

Not even a first author Nature or Cell paper will salvage a poor MCAT or GPA.
I agree.
I have a question--

I suggest you say that you're 10th author.