What does it take to get into Western COM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Postictal Raiden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am very interested in this school and would greatly love to get my DO degree from there. There's nothing magical about my genuine interest in that school, except that it's located in SoCal and it possesses few orthopedic spots.

I will more likely, God willing, apply to med schools next application cycle, and as of now my GPA isn't so hot; i have 3.25c and 3.30s. I am planning to start studying for the MCAT next month and take the tpr prep course during the winter vacation. If I ace all of my classes this year, I'll have a 3.38c and 3.47s.

I'm looking for some insights on how to beef up my application before the next cycle. There's not much I can do about my GPA though (currently 133 units, and have retaken 5 courses of C's and under).

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am very interested in this school and would greatly love to get my DO degree from there. There's nothing magical about my genuine interest in that school, except that it's located in SoCal and it possesses few orthopedic spots.

I will more likely, God willing, apply to med schools next application cycle, and as of now my GPA isn't so hot; i have 3.25c and 3.30s. I am planning to start studying for the MCAT next month and take the tpr prep course during the winter vacation. If I ace all of my classes this year, I'll have a 3.38c and 3.47s.

I'm looking for some insights on how to beef up my application before the next cycle. There's not much I can do about my GPA though (currently 133 units, and have retaken 5 courses of C's and under).

Thank you,

From a stats perspective, just ace those classes and bring up that GPA as much as possible. I'm sure I also don't have to say to do well on your MCAT! (27+ maybe).

I assume your EC's are good??

You should check out this year's and last year's Western school specific threads.

Good luck mate. :cool:

Hello,

Thank you,
i suppose u dont live in SoCal or live by Western...I currently shadow the Director of Clinical Education and have met the Dean of the school and the Dean of Admissions...shadow a DO physician for ur letter of rec...I know they accept a MD letter but they appreciate a DO letter more than you know (I know many will be accepted with a MD but itll help your case) if ur in the area...shadow a physician at their clinical care center...they are very nice and love to teach....otherwise just do well on ur MCAT and write some great essays...the staff here are super nice the students love it and even though its disgustingly hot at the current moment the weather is usually nice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are decent. Our class stats for 2015 were 3.63 and 29 MCAT.

Definitely get a DO letter

Definitely shoot for a 29-30 MCAT. You may be able to get in with a lower MCAT but might as well be safe right?

Its a good school so far and Im happy I chose it. It gets me stoked knowing our stats are the same if not higher than some MD schools. Many people in my class got accepted to MD schools and turned them down. One kid even turned down U Penn / Penn state (whichever is the better one, im not from this country so forget which is the good one lol)

From a stats perspective, just ace those classes and bring up that GPA as much as possible. I'm sure I also don't have to say to do well on your MCAT! (27+ maybe).

I assume your EC's are good??

You should check out this year's and last year's Western school specific threads.

Good luck mate. :cool:

Thank you for making the first response. My EC's are OK as of now, but they are growing. I have tutored, TA'ed, mentored, and ran in the mud. I am also doing a clinical internship through the Clinical Care Extender Program. Other than that, I have worked many part-time and full-time jobs, and even owned a business. I think what I am mainly missing is shadowing, and I am planning to do that soon.

My MCAT pre-requisite knowledge is a little rusty since most of them have been completed and untouched for over two years, except for the biology. Also, my english sucks big time. However, I'll do my best to own that test.

i suppose u dont live in SoCal or live by Western...I currently shadow the Director of Clinical Education and have met the Dean of the school and the Dean of Admissions...shadow a DO physician for ur letter of rec...I know they accept a MD letter but they appreciate a DO letter more than you know (I know many will be accepted with a MD but itll help your case) if ur in the area...shadow a physician at their clinical care center...they are very nice and love to teach....otherwise just do well on ur MCAT and write some great essays...the staff here are super nice the students love it and even though its disgustingly hot at the current moment the weather is usually nice!

I do live in SoCal. In a matter of fact, it's the only place I resided since immigrating to the US a decade ago, although I've visited many places.

In regards to shadowing a DO, I was wondering if you if you could elaborate on the bolded region.

Thank you

Definitely shoot for a 29-30 MCAT. You may be able to get in with a lower MCAT but might as well be safe right?

Its a good school so far and Im happy I chose it. It gets me stoked knowing our stats are the same if not higher than some MD schools. Many people in my class got accepted to MD schools and turned them down. One kid even turned down U Penn / Penn state (whichever is the better one, im not from this country so forget which is the good one lol)

Wow, those are truly intimidating numbers. At my best case scenario (3.38c and 3.47s), I would assume that I need a score of 30+ to have a reasonable shot.

Since you have a good knowledge about the school, I was wondering if you know if they have any policy against community college transfers. I attended cc for a while (due to financial and lingual reasons), and then transferred out to a CalState university. Also, I had some poor grades at the cc and multiple of retakes; however, I have much better grades at the university I currently attend. In other words (I have a steep upward trend for the last two years of my schooling).

Thank you very much,

Thank you for making the first response. My EC's are OK as of now, but they are growing. I have tutored, TA'ed, mentored, and ran in the mud. I am also doing a clinical internship through the Clinical Care Extender Program. Other than that, I have worked many part-time and full-time jobs, and even owned a business. I think what I am mainly missing is shadowing, and I am planning to do that soon.

My MCAT pre-requisite knowledge is a little rusty since most of them have been completed and untouched for over two years, except for the biology. Also, my english sucks big time. However, I'll do my best to own that test.

I do live in SoCal. In a matter of fact, it's the only place I resided since immigrating to the US a decade ago, although I've visited many places.

In regards to shadowing a DO, I was wondering if you if you could elaborate on the bolded region.

Thank you

Wow, those are truly intimidating numbers. At my best case scenario (3.38c and 3.47s), I would assume that I need a score of 30+ to have a reasonable shot.

Since you have a good knowledge about the school, I was wondering if you know if they have any policy against community college transfers. I attended cc for a while (due to financial and lingual reasons), and then transferred out to a CalState university. Also, I had some poor grades at the cc and multiple of retakes; however, I have much better grades at the university I currently attend. In other words (I have a steep upward trend for the last two years of my schooling).

Thank you very much,
im just wondering where u do the Clinical Care extender at...I am sort of in it...I go in tomorrow to shadow my physician, I can ask her who you should email if you want to shadow a DO, if you look at the Western U website: http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/contact you should try contacting 1 of the admissions officers and tell them u want to shadow a DO and I am more than sure they can help you out!

im just wondering where u do the Clinical Care extender at...I am sort of in it...I go in tomorrow to shadow my physician, I can ask her who you should email if you want to shadow a DO, if you look at the Western U website: http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/contact you should try contacting 1 of the admissions officers and tell them u want to shadow a DO and I am more than sure they can help you out!

Thanks for the speedy response. I do my CCE at St. Mary in Long Beach. I will try to call the admission office tomorrow and ask. Please let me know how it goes with the physician you shadow. Thank you again.

Thanks for the speedy response. I do my CCE at St. Mary in Long Beach. I will try to call the admission office tomorrow and ask. Please let me know how it goes with the physician you shadow. Thank you again.
This was also in the FAQ for Western...figured it might help you find a physician closer to u than pomona.

Question 4:
How can I contact an osteopathic physician to interview or shadow?
The American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Web site provides access to state-specific Web sites, most of which have listings of osteopathic physicians you can contact in your area.

Where did you get those numbers from? Western's site says the average for the class of 2015 was 3.53 and 28 MCAT.

http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/competitive

Thank you very much,

You dont necessarily need a 30+, I mean its all relative right. If you lack in numbers you must make up for it with good reference letters and EXPERIENCE***

I dont think western will care where you went to school or any of that transfer stuff

Holy crap, the average was a 29? That's pretty freaking amazing. GPA's almost spot on with some MD schools too.

It might be the Lebanon campus dragging down the reported averages. Theirs is lower than Pomona. Both campuses are considered "one school" and thus the class average of both campuses is probably computed together.

Yes dragging down the CA campus with our HORRIBLE 27MCAT's and 3.45GPA averages... I feel SO ASHAMED!

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be the Lebanon campus dragging down the reported averages. Theirs is lower than Pomona. Both campuses are considered "one school" and thus the class average of both campuses is probably computed together.

Oh ya thats a good point. I definitely didnt check the website before posting, although there it is in fine print.

They definitely told us those numbers (3.6 and 29 MCAT) during orientation repeatedly though. Also the 3.6, I have no idea which GPA that is (cum, non-Sci , Sci). I assume its cumulative

As said, maybe thats just the Pomona campus (main campus)

A dollar and a dream.

Th real question, is how far are you willing to go to get into your school of choice?
Truthfully its pointless to ask what are my chances, no one on here really know, but if makes you feel comfortable heck why not.

Use your logic, blind ambition and be persistent, go the school, meet people int he school, ass kiss, hound, stalk, break down doors if ya have to but don't let your passion be dictated by .5 seriously.

Yes dragging down the CA campus with our HORRIBLE 27MCAT's and 3.45GPA averages... I feel SO ASHAMED!

I worded it badly. We are all homies, right brotha? Whatever the average is or is not, Western's Lebanon and Pomona campuses individually has one of the highest averages for MCAT and GPA in the DO school system. Western is a solid program, but don't get too bogged down on the numbers. Put forth a solid application with a good story, strong motivation for the DO profession and carry yourself well in interviews and you'll get in. The school is very good at looking at the whole person and their life story.

Anyways, time to get back to Dr. Safaoui's notes....

I don't think this was clarified, if it was forgive me, my brain is a little swamped out from studying anatomy all day. WesternU has a clinical center next to campus called the Patient Care Center (PCC), you could probably shadow a WesternU affiliated DO there which would potentially be a lot of bang for your shadowing buck.

Good to see other COMP 2015ers on here!

I don't think this was clarified, if it was forgive me, my brain is a little swamped out from studying anatomy all day. WesternU has a clinical center next to campus called the Patient Care Center (PCC), you could probably shadow a WesternU affiliated DO there which would potentially be a lot of bang for your shadowing buck.

Good to see other COMP 2015ers on here!

Thank you

Holy crap, the average was a 29? That's pretty freaking amazing. GPA's almost spot on with some MD schools too.

From what I have heard, someone high up made a push for putting more emphasis on high MCAT and GPA to boost the stats. I don't blame them though, seems like the MD schools do it..

From what I have heard, someone high up made a push for putting more emphasis on high MCAT and GPA to boost the stats. I don't blame them though, seems like the MD schools do it..

MCAT and gpa have been going up for everybody. The process is, simply, getting more competitive, especially in the past 5 years (although DO averages have been climbing for decades now). It's not just the schools - pre-meds are getting more competitive. Talk to older doctors and they'll tell you that it wasn't this crazy when they applied. Even undergraduate education wasn't as competitive. It's a natural process.

Putting emphasis on MCAT and GPA is fine until you start letting in people based solely on academic qualities. If that's the only thing that matters, you're creating highly-trained technicians, not physicians.

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I just wanted to give some hope to those who are planning on applying to their first choice med school.

I started this thread a little over two years ago. Things didn't go as smoothly as I anticipated and ended up with a lower GPAs than I originally expected. Instead of the 3.38/3.47 I applied with 3.36/3.35. Also I didn't score 29+ on my mcat; my first attempt was 20 and my second one was 28. However, I did shadow a pioneer in the Osteopathic medicine field and got a letter.

Even with my anticipated GPA and MCAT (~3.4/30) I thought I was going to have an uphill battle to gain admission at WesternU. Therefore, I feel very grateful for being accepted with lower stats.

The moral of the story is DON'T give up. Have realistic expectations (don't expect to get a full ride at Harvard Med if you have 3.2/25) and do you best to reach your goals. Don't let the past haunt you. There's nothing you can change about it, but your future is in YOUR control.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I just wanted to give some hope to those who are planning on applying to their first choice med school.

I started this thread a little over two years ago. Things didn't go as smoothly as I anticipated and ended up with a lower GPAs than I originally expected. Instead of the 3.38/3.47 I applied with 3.36/3.35. Also I didn't score 29+ on my mcat; my first attempt was 20 and my second one was 28. However, I did shadow a pioneer in the Osteopathic medicine field and got a letter.

Even with my anticipated GPA and MCAT (~3.4/30) I thought I was going to have an uphill battle to gain admission at WesternU. Therefore, I feel very grateful for being accepted with lower stats.

The moral of the story is DON'T give up. Have realistic expectations (don't expect to get a full ride at Harvard Med if you have 3.2/25) and do you best to reach your goals. Don't let the past haunt you. There's nothing you can change about it, but your future is in YOUR control.

As someone that interviewed recently, hopefully I'll see you next year. Congrats on working hard and achieving a long term goal.

Shamelessly bumping this one again.

Made it to WesternU and it was for the most part a smooth ride. Made lifelong friends. Matched the specialty of my choice.

Now I’m 6 month into internship. Life can’t get any better. I work long hours, but I do meaningful work.

I learn new things every day. Not only medical knowledge, all types of knowledge. The more you interact with people, the more knowledgeable you become.

I enjoy my work. Rarely it’s boring. I get to wear many hats. I’m not only a physician, but also an educator, a scientist, a social worker, a typist, a customer service representative, a leader, a subordinate, a punishing bag...

I’ll update this thread again. Hopefully in 5 years when I finish fellowship...when my half million dollars debt has accrued another 100k of interests.

Reactions: 7 users
Shamelessly bumping this one again.

Made it to WesternU and it was for the most part a smooth ride. Made lifelong friends. Matched the specialty of my choice.

Now I’m 6 month into internship. Life can’t get any better. I work long hours, but I do meaningful work.

I learn new things every day. Not only medical knowledge, all types of knowledge. The more you interact with people, the more knowledgeable you become.

I enjoy my work. Rarely it’s boring. I get to wear many hats. I’m not only a physician, but also an educator, a scientist, a social worker, a typist, a customer service representative, a leader, a subordinate, a punishing bag...

I’ll update this thread again. Hopefully in 5 years when I finish fellowship...when my half million dollars debt has accrued another 100k of interests.
Cool story, bro

Awesome thread! I’m happy your life is going so well.
Why do you steer people so far from DO though?

Number of new enrollment went from 6700 to 8200 since I started medical school. That’s over 20% increase in 4 years. The more painful part is that it doesn’t seem that AOA or COCA have any intention of stopping this madness.

Reactions: 1 user
Cant argue with that.

Number of new enrollment went from 6700 to 8200 since I started medical school. That’s over 20% increase in 4 years. The more painful part is that it doesn’t seem that AOA or COCA have any intention of stopping this madness.

To piggy back, it’s also not completely steering them away from it. It’s giving applicants the full picture. Adcoms feeds everyone a whole bunch of cow s***. My advice is still the same but just a bit more serious than ever. The chances are you will end up in pcp specialties. If that is the bane of your existence then reapply MD. And by pcp specialties I mean the big 3 FM, IM, peds. Psych and ob are getting more competitive each year with the rise in DO students. You will still have an array of specialties but as McCOMs continue to pop up, the talent will spread more and more thin.