kittycat007

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone,

I got my MCAT score yesterday and I am confused as to what a competitive new MCAT score could be. I am also trying to convert the new MCAT score to the old 45 scale, and I am not sure how meaningful this is. Can anyone comment? Thanks

OP
kittycat007

kittycat007

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Thanks. I saw the 2 pdf files and I noticed that the old MCAT data is very skewed - that's why I wasn't sure if I can simply add up the numbers and do a numerical calculation. Now I couldn't find a statistic analysis on score conversion.... median score will be more helpful than mean

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Thanks. I saw the 2 pdf files and I noticed that the old MCAT data is very skewed - that's why I wasn't sure if I can simply add up the numbers and do a numerical calculation. Now I couldn't find a statistic analysis on score conversion.... median score will be more helpful than mean
What I meant from my last post is that you take whatever section you're looking at and compare it with the same section on the old MCAT. No adding, no calculations whatsoever.

A 130 on CARS is the 97th percentile (from the chart). The 97th percentile of VR puts you just below a 12 (from the other chart). That's it. You can also do that same thing with your overall score using the top chart of both documents. 514 = 91st percentile = 33

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Easiest way is to simply convert total to percentile and compare it to percentile on old exam. I'm not sure how valuable converting individual scores will be, as I think adcoms will compare the composite only (regardless of the new MCAT having a new section). Btw, a competitive MD score is probably 509 and greater, competitive DO is probably 503 and greater.